Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Plug Change?

ian_alex

Monza
I have the exhausts off for some remedial work so access to plugs is a bit easier.
The existing ones have done nearly 10,000 miles. Should I change them just because its easy to do or is it really not needed? What mileage should I expect from plugs today?
Car is a C2 3.6ltr.
Thanks for any views.

I wouldn't bother unless they are very old in terms of calendar rather than miles. I'm not sure what Porsche's reccomended interval is, but I wouldn't change them unless I suspected a fault, or they had reached 30,000 miles.

The previous owner of my car changed them at some point in the 10,000 miles before I took the car on. When I changed all the coil packs whilst remedying a misfire I replaced all the plugs, partly in case one was at fault, and partly because of the 'while I'm at it..' thing. If you don't have a misfire I would leave them alone given the low miles since the last change.

Its not a huge job for an indy to do with everything in situe .. i get 0.8 hr to do a set .

If you do all your own work then it is a little harder on the floor .. well a lot harder actually .

Plugs depending on the year are i belive 4 yrs or 48k from memory .

Might it be worth removing and refitting them to reduce the likelihood of them seizing?

On the face of it, that's not a bad idea, but given they are steel plugs in aluminium heads, the chances of them seizing should be pretty low. I've certainly never experienced a plug getting stuck in an ali head on any engine, and that because of the softness of the ali when compared with the steel plug. Even the ones with plenty of galvanic corrosion are easy to undo. Steel plugs in iron heads have frequently been a different story..

Or upgrade to a longer lasting plug like the NGK Iridium BKR6EIX :thumb:

I have just removed one plug and decided life is too short!
Demort I think you mean 0.8 days not 0.8 of an hour even with the car on a lift, either that or you have 4 hands each with 10 fingers?

ian_alex said:
I have just removed one plug and decided life is too short!
Demort I think you mean 0.8 days not 0.8 of an hour even with the car on a lift, either that or you have 4 hands each with 10 fingers?

:floor:

I get less than 1 hour to do them but i do have a ramp and i have done rather a lot shall we say ..

These days i don't look i just do them by touch .

Reference them corroding in then the 996 / 997 engine is fine , they don't corrode or become tight to any great degree .. at least ive not seen this .

Gen 2 997 is a totally different ball game though .. the plug threads protrude further into the cylinder .. they get coked up and can be a bitch to get out .. to the point that i had to stop on one car and re book it as i thought i was going to snap some of them and this was over due by 2 years but not milage .

On these cars you change the plug on time or milage and you do it .. no ifs or butts or you will end up paying for it big time if one snaps !!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back