Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help: Car not reversing properly.

Arabduke

Car not reversing properly.

Hi! got a wee problem. It feels as if its winding up when reversing. Forward gears are not an issue. Noticed it after coming home and when I went to reverse into my drive /garage and stalled the car. Restarted, tried again and was surprised as it felt as if I left the handbrake on. However, car would move forward but when engaged in reverse would struggle to move back, as if something was pushing back. Had to slip the clutch and use a lot of reverse to get into the drive (only option since I was committed to the manoeuvre to reverse in I normally pull past my drive angle out as it's a tight right hander to reverse and because the car has a turning circle akin to the proverbial tanker and its a narrow private shared road). Hand brake is not on. Moving forward is not a problem and I can push the car forward by hand in neutral but cannot push it backwards. Jacked up car and wheels move freely when spinning by hand. Very slight backlash when rotating and switching direction. But this is on side only, I cannot jack the car up the other side since its next tot the garage wall.
Any ideas?

3.8 Carrera 4s, Gen 1
Manual
all gears engage and appear to work, I drove home and all was OK. reverse parking at work and had no issues in the morning.
The car is occasional use and had the usual rusty pop when setting off first thing since last use but had a decent 60 mile drive on the A roads no issue.

Thanks.

Might help to confim
Is it manual or Auto
Gen 1 ro 2
2 or 4wd
Do you still have all other gears 1-6?

If just one gear is affected i would think you may have a gearbox issue - or could be linkages partially broken. Have you looked while somebody changes gear to check it is engaging ?

Mmmm, have noticed something similar in the wife's manual 987.2 Cayman. She rang me up at work the other week to say that the car kept stalling when she was reversing into her parking bay. Thought at the time that she wasn't using the clutch effectively or that she was on too much lock, then did it myself the other day. It feels like the handbrake has been left on slightly and the car just doesn't want to go backwards unless you give it some welly. She then rang me the other day to say that something was flashing up on the clocks stating. Auto-Hold function not working but after a few miles it disappeared and didn't come back on. This is the hill start assist mechanism that temporarily locks on the brakes for a couple of seconds when moving off from a standing incline position, so am now wondering if it is engaging when trying to reverse on the odd occasion? It has only done it two or three times, so not unduly worried at the moment but will get my Indy to have a look at it the next time its in for a service.

I suspect its the handbrake shoes grabbing whist in reverse .. may well be over adjusted as they do need a fair bit of clearence .

Lets face it .. on a manual theres not a hell of a lot it can be !

Hi, I had this a few years back on my gen 1 tip and as Demort says it was due to handbrake shoes binding (only in reverse). As I recall they were worn and replacement cured it.

Demort said:
I suspect its the handbrake shoes grabbing whist in reverse .. may well be over adjusted as they do need a fair bit of clearence .

I'll cut by balls off with a rusty knife if Demort is wrong, when working as a technical for BMW the M3/E36 and some other models are well known for this and was the shoes in the rear disc and as you reverse it would make a metallic clanking noise if it got real bad as it can fall apart being closed up so there's the fault....

J

yes good job demorts here....i wouldnt put any body parts on it though :thumb: i assumed it was an auto, didnt think of handbrake makes sense tho

Demort said:
:eek:

OMG for the sake of your balls i hope im right !!!!!

:floor:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Joke aside, they were chopped off long ago for being wrong!

J

Same happened to mine a couple of years ago and would recommend getting it looked at ASAP.

What I think happened was some of the braking surface on the brake shoe came off and got jammed somehow. I reversed assuming whatever it was would clear - it didn't. The handbrake cable pinged off at the handle (but survived) and the springs that hold the shoes in place were stretched beyond repair. A deep groove was left on the hub but was still OK.

Cost of replacement springs was about £60 and were special order parts from Porsche. Shoes £40 from ECP.

Lucky escape!

Attachments

• wp_20151108_14_44_47_pro_106.jpg
    wp_20151108_14_44_47_pro_106.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 4,072
  • wp_20151108_14_45_10_pro_highres_514.jpg
    wp_20151108_14_45_10_pro_highres_514.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 4,072
Ive never seen a 997 do that before but yes on a Boxster ive seen a few .. it can make a hell of a mess if it really lets go .. one of the ones we did had to have a new hub as well as everything else in there ..

But as i said ive only seen this on Boxsters .

yes happens all the time on trailers if they aren't serviced regularly - apparently water gets between the pad and the metal part of shoe and the glue breaks down.

-- 997 -- said:
Demort said:

I'll cut by balls off with a rusty knife if Demort is wrong, when working as a technical for BMW the M3/E36 and some other models are well known for this and was the shoes in the rear disc and as you reverse it would make a metallic clanking noise if it got real bad as it can fall apart being closed up so there's the fault....

J

Demort, can you just say you're wrong for shits and giggles? I will supply the rusty knife :)

-- 997 -- said:
Demort said:
:eek:

OMG for the sake of your balls i hope im right !!!!!

:floor:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Joke aside, they were chopped off long ago for being wrong!

J

We may be a bit late :eek:

seeforez said:
yes happens all the time on trailers if they aren't serviced regularly - apparently water gets between the pad and the metal part of shoe and the glue breaks down.

Thats actually very interesting , well for me as im a car nerd !! .. ive not yet figured out what causes it but this has got me thinking ..

Not so much the glue breaking down ( it could be as im no expert ) but water on the disc rusting to the handbrake shoes .. it would be similar to pads rusting to the discs .. that bang you get when pulling off is the bond breaking .. perhaps on the shoes it actually breaks the material away from the shoe ..

I do know they are easy to prise off the material if you go at the side of them as thats a check to see if they are starting to debond .. see what looks like a crack and push a flat blade into it .. if it starts to come away then seriously recomend new shoes .

Cheers young man .. could be another fault figured out :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back