Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hissing when put in reverse

queenmonkey

Trainee
Hi guys, my '98 c2 makes a hissing noise before engaging reverse ie you go from park to reverse with it hissing for a couple of seconds before it positively engages. Does this suggest a problem?
QM

I'd have a good look for ATF leaks.
Mine was making some very odd noises, hissing and a sort of subtle gurgle even at idle in neutral/park.
Turned out I had a leak and the level was very low.

It happened twice in a mater of weeks in fact. First from an TAF cooler pipe which can be seen under the bell housing and second from a pipe connection on top of the box.

There's a level plug on the side of the sump (on mine anyway which is '03 so may be a later box?) but I don't know how the check the level.

You don't want to drive it if the level's low.

Thanks pickse, I'll check it out in a couple of weeks when I've got it up on stands
Qm

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back