Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 GT3 Gear Linkage & RSS Semi Solid Engine Mounts -

jonindorset

Had a 997.2 GT3 Gear Linkage, RSS Semi Solid Engine Mounts, very clean secondhand 3 spoke steering wheel and airbag deactivation fitted to my 143k mile 1998 Carrera 2. Thought I'd post because the gear linkage and engine mounts are such good upgrades.

Have to say that the gear linkage totally transformed the shift quality - its so much nicer to drive (if I'm honest I found the box to be a bit of a pig before...) and the semi solid engine mounts make the car significantly more planted without any deterioration in NVH, in fact it seems more refined in many ways. As such an important touch point the unworn 3 spoke wheel is much nicer than the cracked leather 4 spoke original too.

Really pleased - very worthwhile upgrades

John, good to see some interesting mods you have me now wondering what the gen2 gt3 gear linkage would do to my gen2 :?:

Where about's in sunny Dorset are you :thumb:

Very interested to hear more about the gear linkages used ?
Do you have a part number etc ?

Can you point us in the right direction on D911 website maybe ?

Hi Jon,

I plan on doing the GT3 short shift and the RSS engine mounts so it was nice to hear from someone who has already done it and the results are good.

Can't wait to get on with mine now.

Cheers.

I'm based in Wimborne

The gear shift used was 997.424.010.91 - this is not a short shift kit but the metal bushed GT3 part, I believe from Gen 2. The shift maybe slightly shorter than the standard 996 part and isn't the cheapest (around £270 with 10% Tipec/PCGB discount from my local OPC) but certainly in my car was revolutionary!
I understand the standard 997 part is also an improvement (saving around £100 on the GT3 part).

My engine mounts were completely goosed and any fears about the beautiful RSS items being too hard (bought from Design 911 with the 5% 911UK discount) were unfounded. I guess if your current mounts are shot, they're not going to be doing much engine damping anyway....

jonindorset said:
I'm based in Wimborne

The gear shift used was 997.424.010.91 - this is not a short shift kit but the metal bushed GT3 part, I believe from Gen 2. The shift maybe slightly shorter than the standard 996 part and isn't the cheapest (around £270 with 10% Tipec/PCGB discount from my local OPC) but certainly in my car was revolutionary!
I understand the standard 997 part is also an improvement (saving around £100 on the GT3 part).

My engine mounts were completely goosed and any fears about the beautiful RSS items being too hard (bought from Design 911 with the 5% 911UK discount) were unfounded. I guess if your current mounts are shot, they're not going to be doing much engine damping anyway....

John I am only in Ferndown , I need to try the feel of the GT3 shift as I am told the metal bearing give it a rifle action , I have a ssk on my gen2 and its short but not very sharp and on a cold morning is a pig to get into gear.
Have to meet for coffee sometime and I can feel the difference with your gt3 Shifter.

I believe they are aftermarket but great price never the less, and decent mounts will help the gear change no end :thumb:

I don't doubt that any new engine mount would be a significant improvement on almost any of these cars on original mounts, especially higher mileage cars.

The uprated mounts are a direct fit, significantly more bling ;) and will tie the engine down better but you pay the price... They are very expensive for what they are.

A gearbox oil change is also a good idea - again often neglected. I presume the diff oil should also be ideally changed and might give a good impression as to how much limited slip is left in your LSD.

I have found some not-so-good news about those mounts.....

http://www.500eboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2333.html

There is one really useful post in it:

==========================================

Robert Bosch Company is the single largest parts supplier for European cars. What started as Robert Bosch's "Workshop for Precision and Electrical Engineering" over 100 years ago, has become one of today's most successful engineering enterprises.
Pioneers of automotive fuel injection technology over 50 years ago, Bosch is the industry leader in fuel injection and is the major OE supplier to nearly all car manufacturers worldwide. Bosch developed the first fuel injection system with a high-pressure electric fuel pump in 1967 and continues to pioneer innovative designs and technology.
Bosch ignition systems are OE on most European cars and have been for many, many years. Whether it's an old points-and-condenser type distributor or the latest high-tech distributorless ignition system, Bosch built the unit for the car marker. The replacement parts - from cap, rotor, points, condenser and Hall sender to distributorless coils and connectors - are all the original parts or the updated version of them from Bosch.

Bosch also offers the best warranty in the marketplace. They stand behind all products for a minimum of 12 full months, unlimited mileage! They also provide a 2-year roadside assistance warranty on starters and alternators - they'll pay for your jump start or tow should one of these products fail. And, Bosch offers a lifetime warranty on all of its spark plug wire sets.
Bosch manufactures thousands of different components for cars - from fuel pumps to air flow meters to electronic switches and relays to headlights and filters. In fact, Bosch is the OE brand at most car manufacturers worldwide.

As a Bosch Warehouse Distributor, AutohausAZ stocks thousands of Bosch products for your car. Is it any wonder people worldwide come to AutohausAZ for all their Bosch product needs?

Sachs-Boge (now part of ZF Trading North America's group of companies) includes Boge suspension (shocks/struts, bushings, etc.), Boge rubber-to-metal (engine mounts, suspension mounts, bushings, etc.), Stabilus gas springs (hood, trunk and tailgate shocks, convertible top cover supports, etc.), and Fichtel-Sachs drivetrain (clutches, fan clutches, etc.).
Boge suspension and rubber-to-metal have been the European supplier of shocks/struts, bushings and mounts to the auto makers since 1931, with manufacturing plants in 72 countries around the world. With their outstanding warranties on shocks/struts, you never have to worry about the performance and longevity of the parts.

And, Fichtel-Sachs/Borg&Beck clutches have been original equipment on European cars in one form or another for over 100 years. Still the world leader in clutch technology and innovation, Sachs clutches are found in cars the world over, including US car makes.

Sachs' Stabilus/Lift-O-Mat brand is the major supplier of hood, trunk and tailgate shocks on all European cars. The replacements are exactly the same specs as that which was on your car on the showroom floor so you know when you buy Stabilus you'll be able to restore the lift that you expect when you open your door.

Once again, AutohausAZ stocks a large assortment of Sachs and Boge products - all of which are OEM/OES and are either on your European car already or are factory-approved as a replacement part. And, like Bosch, Sachs stands behind their products with a minimum 12-month warranty - lifetime on shocks.

ATE supplies brake and hydraulic components as an OE supplier to most European car makers. From calipers to master cylinders to brake discs, brake drums and much more, somewhere on your car is the name ATE!

Balo brake rotors were the OE brand on BMWs throughout the 1990s and continue to be the major supplier to European car makers. For quality of manufacture, resistance to warping and superior fit and performance, Balo is the professional's rotor of choice for most BMW models.

Bando is the OEM belt of choice for all Asian cars. It's designed to properly fit the pulley grooves at the correct ride level to give superior performance and durability.

Behr/Hella Service has long been known for its refrigeration and cooling system parts on Mercedes Benz and BMW. From A/C parts to radiators and thermostats to A/C control systems, Behr is the OE brand on many European cars. Through its worldwide affiliations with other companies, its name is also found on many replacement refrigeration and cooling system parts for other makes of automobiles.

Brembo brake discs, designed specifically for the Formula One racing circuit, are now offered for street use. Since 1961, Brembo has been the exclusive supplier of brake calipers to Porsche and brake rotor supplier to racers worldwide (FIA Rally, Formula One, CART, NASCAR, Porsche, Ferrari and more). You can't do any better for fit and performance than Brembo.

Continental (aka CRP, Conti, or Conti-Tech), according to most experts, is the only belt you should put on European cars. Continental is an OE supplier and its superior, service-free belts outlast any other brand on the market. Continental also produces many of the OE hoses found on your car. Now with the Rein Automotive brand, Continental offers OE quality replacement filters, gaskets and other maintenance items.

Corteco and Micronair are divisions of The Freudenburg Group and supply a large number of filters, seals, mounts and maintenance items for most European cars.

Daikin is one of a group of affiliated clutch brands manufactured in Japan for Honda, Nissan and Toyota. It is a market brand containing the original FCC clutch products found on these cars. With original material, fit and performance, Daikin is the clutch component brand to use on your Japanese car.

FAG is world-renowned for its bearings and tensioner assemblies. Since its pioneering work on roller bearings starting in 1885, FAG has been a world leader for over 120 years. Again, another brand name that probably came as standard equipment on your car.

Fahrzeug Technik Ebern (FTE) is a major brake and clutch hydraulics manufacturer in Ebern, Germany.

Febi Bilstein is known for OE suspension and steering systems. From Bilstein shocks and struts to Febi bushings, tie rods and control arms, you're assured of high quality products from Febi Bilstein.

Fichtel-Sachs clutches - see Sachs Boge above.

GK, a division of Autex Autoeile Germany, is an OE manufacturer of water pumps. They offer superior quality and performance for German cars.

Hella lighting and electrical products are original equipment on many models and offer superior replacement parts on all cars. See also Behr/Hella Service above.

Hirschmann is a world leader in communication antenna technology and is the OE supplier to European car makers. Since the first telescoping design in 1939, Hirschmann has been at the forefront of innovation.

Jurid brake pads (a division of Bendix/Allied Signal) were the OE brand on BMWs throughout the 1990s and continue to be the major supplier in Europe. For fit, finish and performance, you can't do better than Jurid for your BMW.

Kolbenschmidt is an OE brand name that can be found on hundreds of quality metal parts throughout the European car market - engine blocks, pistons, bearings, induction pipes, water pumps and other high-grade components. With such diverse and time-tested engine experience, Kolbenschmidt is a testimonial to "competence around the engine".

Laso offers superior quality OE water pumps and metal components for European auto makers.

Lemfoerder, now also part of ZFTNA, is the OE brand for heavy metal parts on most BMWs, such as control arms, support arms and bushings. Lemfoerder is always the highest quality original equipment (OE) brand you can find. Now also known for many other automotive parts and kits, you can count on Lemfoerder to be a perfect fit every time.

Loebro, a division of GKN Drivetech, is the OE CV joint, U-joint and axle boot king for European cars. GKN is the largest manufacturer of new OE constant velocity products with over 40% of the total world market. In fact, GKN has been the world leader in front-wheel drive engineering for almost 40 years.

Lucas-Girling/TRW-Lucas is another large OE manufacturer of brake and hydraulic products. The TRW group of companies supply OE and replacement parts for nearly every make and model car on the road today.

Mahle-Knecht, Hengst, Mann-Hummel and Crosland are all high-quality OE suppliers in Europe of various automotive filters. Air filters, fuel filters, oil filters, power steering filters and AC/pollen/micro filters are the most common maintenance items on cars today and these quality brands will ensure OE specification service, fit and performance.

Meyle Products, located in Hamburg, Germany, offers a constantly expanding range of high-quality steering and suspension products (tie rods, center/drag link, control arms, support arms, ball joints, bushings and kits and more) for European cars.

Meyle engineers analyze original parts, especially those with known issues, to develop improved alternatives that exceed the reliability and longevity of the original OE parts. Whether it's reinforcements on aluminum control arms, full-metal ball joints or tie rod ends, enlarged diameter stabilizer link ends, or modified molding design for rubber-to-metal mounts, Meyle optimizes the original part designs. With more than 30 years experience in the European market Meyle has distinguished itself with its nearly 200 improved heavy-duty "HD Quality" technically optimized parts to replace and improve the OE version.

Mintex, a division of TMD Friction, has over 100 years experience supplying the auto makers of Europe with brakes pads, including the manufacture of Pagid and Textar brake pads. It was the first brake pad company in Europe to earn the new "Regulation 90" approval for safetey in meeting or exceeding OE specifications on its pads. All the brake pads are built to OE specifications for material compound, are non-asbestos for health safety and are low dusting for cleanliness of your wheels.

Nissens is a Danish alternative radiator and AC condenser brand for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Saab and Volvo. These radiators incorporate all the latest updates to OE specs, fit exactly as the original brands and are often a more cost-effective solution than the OE brand.

NSK, GMB, KML and FCC - These four Asian manufacturers offer a wide range of OE components (bearings, water pumps, clutches and more) for both Asian and European cars. Superior design and durability make these products the best you can buy for Asian cars.

Ocap engineers and supplies steering and suspension sub-systems for some of the most prestigious sports cars, private passenger cars and special vehicle manufacturers in the world. OCAP's strength lies in its dynamism and expertise to partner with OE manufacturers from the earliest stages of designing and engineering to FEM analysis and bench testing.

Pagid brake pads, a division of TMD Friction, are an OE or better alternative brand and are preferred by many professionals for numerous European cars. As an OE supplier of brake pads for Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Volkswagen and Volvo, these pads have the most up-to-date formulation and shims for optimal performance and noise reduction.

PBR Deluxe (Axxis, Repco, MetalMaster) is a brand that's changed its name several times over the past several years but not its high quality. Although not OE on any car, PBR Deluxe brand pads are a popular replacement brand for most car makes. In the standard "Deluxe" line, they produce an organic pad that performs quietly and cleanly on your import car. The "MetalMaster" line of full metallic pads are a durable, high-quality, all-metallic pad designed for certain applications to either replace semi-metallics or extend pad life.

Pierburg appears on several fuel pumps in many European cars and is an excellent alternative for many other cars. The compact design and quiet operation of the Pierburg pumps are renowned.

Ruville, based in Hamburg Germany, has been a leading spare parts provider for over 80 years.

SKF is the leading global supplier of products, solutions and services in the rolling bearing and seals business. SKF was founded in Sweden in 1907 and currently operates 76 production sites in 22 countries. They are reknowned for their high quality products for a wide variety of car makes.

Stabilus hood, trunk and tailgate shocks - see Sachs Boge above.

Textar brake pads, a division of TMD Friction, are the OE pads on most Mercedes-Benz cars and have been for many, many years. Formulated for quiet operation and high performance, there are no better pads for most Mercedes original applications or as replacement pads on any European model car.

Uro Parts is a division of APA Industries. As a marketer of replacement seals, gaskets and parts for European cars, Uro Parts strives to offer affordable OE quality fit and finish.

VDO-Siemens is world renowned for its electrical parts, pumps, sensors and switches. An OE brand on many European cars, VDO is now part of Continental Automotive GmbH. Continental acquired Siemens VDO Automotive in December, 2007.

Victor Reinz, Goetze, Meistersatz and ElringKlinger are the four companies representing nearly every OE gasket or seal found in European cars. If you need a seal or gasket - from valve cover gaskets to head sets to axle seals - it will probably have one of these names on it at AutohausAZ.

Zimmermann brake rotors were our original and only Porsche brake rotor supplier but they have expanded tremendously over the past few years. The quality is second to none as replacement on all late model import cars - not just Porsche - with the high demand on ABS high-pressure systems. Heat fade resistance and longevity are Zimmermann's strong suits and Zimmermann brake rotors are one of your best buys for great braking performance. Since January 2008, Zimmermann has been applying the Coat Z-AntiCorrosion coating to select part numbers to further improve longevity.

Adler, Nissin and NTP OEM hydraulic products are known for their durability and proper fit. This is the only master cylinder you want to put on Hondas.

====================================

Have just put Zimmerman discs on my Panamera and they do look fantastic quality (actually better then OEM....).

Thought this post's information might help generally :thumb:

The bolt will be spec'd for the load it's likely to see and the cup washers I think are a large enough dia that if the mount centre bush was to pull through the rubber then the engine won't end up on the road :eek:

Stick with OEM bolts and washers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back