Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LHS Upper Cam Cover gasket replaced

decgraham

Hi All,

After some advice from P-Tek I went about tackling the LHS top cover. I removed the rear PU and associated pieces as well as the silencer box, I had already removed the rear fan and tubes. I then dropped the engine off its mounts as far as it would go but still kept the nuts on a good few turns with a jack support for safety. This gave me just a bit more space to work in. I then removed the tin wear and could get a really good view of all the bolts, 8 in total and the oil bridge. The middle bolt which attached the tin wear to the canshaft housing was a real bit*h to get undone but with a few squirts of WD40 and bashing in an over sized allen key I was able to get it out. It was then just a case of removing all the bolts, taking off the cover, giving it a good clean and refitting with new gaskets and bolts.

With the tin wear off you can also easily get to the oil bridge, just 2 bolts and then you need to lever it off as the O ring holds it in place. I had ordered new O rings earlier in the year but when I came to fit them unfortunately they were the wrong size and I couldn't get the tube into the fitting. The one on the left is the new one and you can see its too big. I'll be searching for O rings locally tomorrow so I hope I get lucky. I've been in touch with the original supplier and hope they will help me out but no worries I'll get them. I'll be tackling the RHS tomorrow.

I've attached a few pics for reference.

All the best :)

Attachments

• bridge_o_rings_618.jpg
    bridge_o_rings_618.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,980
  • bridge_949.jpg
    bridge_949.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,980
  • top_cover_showing_bridge_151.jpg
    top_cover_showing_bridge_151.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 1,980
  • top_cover_off_817.jpg
    top_cover_off_817.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 1,980
  • top_cover_995.jpg
    top_cover_995.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 1,980
Dec, aha now I know what you mean by bridge :thumb: top man....

I shall remove mine and insert new O rings post haste :lol:

Yes those hex studs that hold the tinware onto the housing can be a biatch, I've had two round off on me where I've had to knock an oversize spline bit in to remove them, two new studs required. They're actually pretty soft so easy enough to do.

The general cleanliness of you engine is excellent, mine is quite cruddy, I guess a symptom of living in the UK.

I also need to do the Power Steering pump belt and replace the casing as you have done, the casing is crusty/bent and one or two of the bolt holes are dead.

So my engine will also benefit from, new plugs, HT leads, Dissi Caps and Rotors, clutch, belts, filters, Alternator bearing (which was toast) etc etc. Mate it up to the recon box and we should be in good shape.

All the best and great work :)

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back