Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

da do RON RON - who has the highest octane?

pietrzj

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi,

Most garages have brand names for their "super unleaded" and they don't always tell you what the actual RON value is.

Any ide for Shell, Esso, BP, TESCO, etc?

I believe that in the UK it is tesco at 99. I usually use this in my petrol cars which need high octane.

MC

Esso synergy supreme is 97
BP ultimate is 97
Shell v power is 98
No idea what the supermarket stuff is

There was a Petrochem Engineer on here who gave a rather detailed explanation on a previous post but it all boiled down to (see what I did there :floor: ) the additives - in the end Shell V Power was considered the least harmful for your engine depending which part of the country you bought it from and what colour socks you were wearing :dont know:

The nearest one to me is Tesco with 99 and that is five miles away all the other outlets nearby are 95 ron only.

Mike

TESCO - Every little helps 99 RON.

Shell v power is 99 ron. It was 98 when it was called optimax

Yes agree Shell vmax is 99ron now and unfortunately we in the UK cant get vmax racing100 which is available easily in Germany thats 100ron .

There are only two 99ron products in the UK shell and tesco momentum

The minimum ron in the UK for a fuel to be called super unleaded is 97ron

Phil 997 said:
Yes agree Shell vmax is 99ron now and unfortunately we in the UK cant get vmax racing100 which is available easily in Germany thats 100ron .

If we are including Germany there is also Aral Ultimate 102 (Aral is what BP are called over there). That at least has been available in a tiny number of places in the UK in the past (not sure if it still is) but was criminally expensive. In Germany however it is only a few cents more per litre than conventional 98 octane Ultimate.

Is it true that Tesco use a higher percentage of biofuel which may damage our old type rubber seals?

Disco said:
Phil 997 said:

If we are including Germany there is also Aral Ultimate 102 (Aral is what BP are called over there). That at least has been available in a tiny number of places in the UK in the past (not sure if it still is) but was criminally expensive. In Germany however it is only a few cents more per litre than conventional 98 octane Ultimate.

Not sure why those higher octaine fuels are not available over here , I know a few places close to the racing circuits sell higher octaine fuel but its not easily available. :nooo:

Endoman said:
Is it true that Tesco use a higher percentage of biofuel which may damage our old type rubber seals?

Thats worth knowing , I only use vmax but some others say momentum is as good but clearly its got the potential not to be. :thumb: there seems to always be something not so good about supermarket fuel, they need to stick to selling food. I don't even use supermarket fuel in my other car.

As I understand it, UK fuel conforms to a BS requirement limiting ethanol which is detrimental to our fuel systems, to 5% (E5).

E10 (10% ethanol) is not recommended for our cars (and many others).

taffybloke said:
The joys of living by the A4069 :thumbs:

Mike

Mike, I'm on the A4069 Brecon Beacons too :thumb: , just down the road from the twisty's over to Brynamman :) great road.

Nick

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back