Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel protection

bakerboy4s

Nurburgring
Following refurb, what is recommended to protect wheels from brake dust etc?

Fitting PCCB's....? :D

I use a good wax. You can get 'winter wax" and '4x4 wax" which are designed to stay put and protect. You can even get 'wheel wax" but I've never tried it.

Anyway regular washing with decent shampoo, mitt and a pressure washer removes the brake dust and grime easily, but leaves the wax alone (til an annual reapplication). Don't brush the wheels because that would take the wax off, but you shouldn't need to.

You can get spray on wheel protectants but the masochist in me believes anything that's easy to apply won't stay put.

As an alternative to wax, you can use sealants. I use Armor All Shield Brake Dust Repellent. It was highly recommended by AutoExpress and I've found it effective and extremely easy to use on clean wheels, you just spray it on and leave it!

The easiest solution is regular hot soapy water with car shampoo and a soft lambswool mitt. I have tried wax (including carnauba wax) but other than making it easier to hose off the brake dust, it still needs to be removed with a mitt and hot soapy water to get that 'as new' look.

cheshire911 said:
The easiest solution is regular hot soapy water with car shampoo and a soft lambswool mitt. I have tried wax (including carnauba wax) but other than making it easier to hose off the brake dust, it still needs to be removed with a mitt and hot soapy water to get that 'as new' look.

Cheshire wins 10/10!

At least once a week, especially autumn, winter, spring.

I've tried many products over many years and many wheel finishes and my favourite is Chemical Guys Wheel Guard. Works a treat on paint & powdercoated wheels as well as my bare polished split rims.
Wax the wheel every 3-4 months and wash regularly with a pH neutral car shampoo and the brake dust & road grime won't have a chance. :thumb:

C.

Wax doesn't last long on wheels. Highly advise Gtechniq or gyeon rim. You'll get more than a year of proper protection

I use poorboys wheel wax. Doesn't stop the wheels getting dirty from braking but does make them much easier to clean. And also smells of bubble gum

I used to use the Poorboys stuff, but switched to Autofinesse Mint Rims.
It is superior & lasts longer than poorboys. It also makes cleaning much easier.
Never had to use a dedicated wheel cleaner since, just a simple wash the same as the rest of the car.

Another +1 for the Poorboys wheel stuff.

Bought some ages ago, pink stuff in a tub. The dust just wipes off and hardly any tar or other stuff seems to stick. One tub will last forever!

Would recommend it but as with all car care stuff everyone prefers their own! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back