Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

White Smoke on Start Up

Evening all, past 2 days I have had white smoke on start up. I've only noticed it happening on the way home from work after the car has been sitting there for 8-9 hours. I haven't noticed in the morning but I haven't been looking for it.

It's a 997.2 S, I haven't recently added oil so it can't be overfill. It does tend to use a bit of oil, usually 800mls per 1000miles.

FWIW, I do have Porsche warranty.

How worried should I be :eek:

boardingnath997 said:
Evening all, past 2 days I have had white smoke on start up. I've only noticed it happening on the way home from work after the car has been sitting there for 8-9 hours. I haven't noticed in the morning but I haven't been looking for it.

It's a 997.2 S, I haven't recently added oil so it can't be overfill. It does tend to use a bit of oil, usually 800mls per 1000miles.

If you have Porsche warranty, is be cool as a cucumber. Out of curiosity do you park on a decent of any kind?

Flat on both occasions and park in the same spot all the time.

I know if anything goes wrong I'll be covered but it still worries me that something has changed as I've not had this problem before.

From memory, people often comment it is a failing air/oil separator. Off to OPC for you.

boardingnath997 said:

I would not be concerned as long as it does not blow smoke on every or most startups, particularly if it only persists for a few seconds. Due to the engine geometry, most boxer motors blow smoke at startup occasionally due to minor amounts of oil bypassing the rings and/or the valve stem seals if a valve is open at the time into the combustion chamber(s).

If it smokes frequently and/or persists, a dodgy AOS is the most likely cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back