Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 C2 Manual front anti roll bar bush query...confused!

Gooey36

im slowly working through replacing various wear and tear items on my recently purchased 996.2 C2 (manual).

So far DIY stuff has been pretty easy (which is surprising!) and have moved on to suspension components now. Done top mounts, coffin arms, wishbones (tuning forks?) and track rod ends all relatively pain free.

Come across a problem though with anti roll bar bushings - the rear is 19mm which I've measured using a vernier/caliper and that seems to stack up with what the available bushings. The front is listed as being either 21.5 or 22.5mm - I've measured it (outside diameter, cleaned prior to) again with a caliper and get 23.5. Setting it at 22.5 it won't go over.

Can't seem to find an aftermarket (I'm using some superflex black ones) bush that's that size though...

Help! Does anyone know what the correct size bushing should be? I can find a 23mm one but not 23.5.

Rang the OPC who said they'd just order against the chassis number but it doesn't list a 'size" but it'd be the right one!

Any help much appreciated!

To be honest i would leave this sort of thing to our parts guy ..

If you order from OPC they will order from the chassis number and so will be the correct ones for your car so i would go down that route .

I take it it is the standard anti roll bar .

Hi Gooey,
Bit late so you're probably sorted but the antiroll bars always wear oval.

Go somewhere in between for the bush size or nearer the smaller size.

I replaced my rear ones a month or so ago. The bar after powder coating measured 18.8mm to 19.6mm so I went with 19mm blue Powerflex bushes.

The bar will mould/adjust the bush to suit itself a bit, whereas if you go for the larger size you're already half way to having play in there again, hence it will start knocking sooner etc.

Just my 2p worth. :thumb:

ETA - So yep in your case go 23mm if you're sure there's no more can be cleaned off and you aren't measuring a build up of rust.
That's why I get mine blasted and powdercoated then order bushes to suit.

No, just in time!

Thanks for the info, I think from the above I'll order a few sizes and remove the bush, measure at its location point (min and max) and select the appropriate one.

Will post some feedback in a few months what I find just in case it helps anyone else.

:thumbs:

Wait .... What ?

Your going to order several different sizes and pick what fits rather than ordering the correct ones from an OPC ?

Attachments

• palm_589.jpeg
    palm_589.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,668
I Spoke to the OPC and they said if the bar was worn at the bush location features then there's no point putting the correct size on as if it's worn elliptically and reduced in size, putting a bush on at the 'correct" size means I'm starting with play already in there. The chap also could not tell me what the size should be off my VIN either - just they would order from the chassis. (Sonpossibly order the right size for a reduced bar diameter maybe?

If it's a slightly worn bar what would be the correct size to order? What the book says or what the physical dimension is closest to? (And I mean that with no sarcasm at all!)

Hopefully, there is absolutely no wear (or minimal) and I can go with the OEM size.

P.S I have a friendly parts guy who's offered to order a range in and return what's not needed so it's no cost out of my pocket.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back