Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ignition barrel - 996 Turbo and also a thank you!

Gareth64

Silverstone
Morning all,

So, parked up in Central London after some shopping, we return to the car late afternoon. Key in, turns once for ignition and then key turns rest of the way with no resistance whatsoever. It just turns round in the barrel. Because the ignition is on, battery eventually goes whilst waiting for recovery to my indy. Waited for the van, then had to wait for the low loader as he couldn't get it started. Looks like new barrel, not sure about the switch? Annoying lol.

The thank you is for the bloke that walked past us and said his car was around the corner and do we need any help? I said thanks but the recovery guy was here. He drove past a couple of mins later and I gave him a thumbs up. He was in a silver Cayman (718 I think but it was dark lol!) So thanks to him if he's on the forum!

mines booked in wednesday for new ignition switch (dont think its the Barrel) as keep getting "key not removed" and getting progrerssively harder to withdraw key!

mun802 said:
mines booked in wednesday for new ignition switch (dont think its the Barrel) as keep getting "key not removed" and getting progrerssively harder to withdraw key!

Yeah that sounds like the switch.

switch

i replaced mine myself it was very easy ,took about 20 minutes.the part number is 4A0 905 849B.i found the pdf on here on how to do it. its called
Richards _ignition_switch_diy. very good details to follow and easy.the part is the same as audi/vw and cost me about £30 18 months ago.hope this helps

The ignition switch/barrel has been getting a bit fiddly in the last few weeks on my 996 Turbo also, sticks a bit when I take the key out. I mentioned it to the technician at the Brooklands open day on saturday, and he pointed out that my steering lock is not working, which I hadn't previously noticed. Waiting for the report to come through at the moment with a quote for them to fix, but will have a read of the ' how to" and see if that covers the steering lock too.

The steering lock doesnt work on mine either, just wondering if thats because of the switch problem too or a complete lock and barrel assy required!

Problme sorted...new switch £102 inc VAT and fitting, happy with that.

mun802 said:
Problme sorted...new switch £102 inc VAT and fitting, happy with that.

Nice!

Hmmm, my steering lock hasn't worked for ages but doesn't seem linked to the ignition...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back