Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

c2 with 17s, m030, porsche wheel spacers -

bigdry

Trainee
Hi all, thinking of ditching the 18s split rims for the winter - i have a c2 manual with Porsche wheel spacers (think 7mm?) and m030 susp. Anyone running 17s and this combo? thx

I had the same (albeit with 5mm GT3 spacers)

I used to run 18" Sport Classic IIs in summer, 17" Boxster wheels in winter.

However, I now run 18" Carrera lightweights in summer, 18" split spoke Cayman wheels in winter.

i.e. I still run Boxster/Cayman wheels in winter as they are the same widths on the front, but narrower (than the 996) on the rear - on the basis that for winter grip, traditionally you want the same weight through a slightly smaller contact patch, coupled with winter compound/siped tyres.

I ditched the 17"s partly due to a brake upgrade (needed 18" all year for clearance)... partly because I hated the feel of them......
- to me 17"s just feel like squashy balloon tyres with too much compliance in every direction. Car ended up feeling floaty and slightly unsure in the precise conditions where a wanted it to feel nailed down.... for me "narrower" 18"s work far better than more standard width 17"s, and its better to focus far more on your actual tyre choice for summer versus winter

There will be a geometry compromise with anything other than your 18" summer set up... but I work on the basis that I shouldn't be in "attack mode" in winter full stop... so either go smaller diameter, or less width... but probably not both...

interesting comments. never really thought about running narrower 18s..

part of my interest is i already have some mint 17s, i hate getting the 18 spltrims referbed all the bloody time so not running them in winter should help with them not corroding so quickly and the idea of more cold climate rain orientated tyres - ive always felt that on the 18s with michy pilots, that below about 12C it start getting all nervous and wandery..something like a uniroyal rainsport on 17s seem the ideal winter compromise as a bit softer - but i do wonder with m030 if it will be bit compromised and maybe a tad too low in the ground clearance department...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back