Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997- 3.6 to 3.8 swap.

Templar861

Could any of you fine people tell me if it's possible to swap a 3.6 engine to a 3.8 engine in a 997? The engine is from a 2006 salvage and the car is currently a '54 with the 3.6....so would there be any massive issues/changes that would prohibit the swap?
Thanks in advance.

No idea, but please do a build thread if you end up doing this. I love a good build thread.

Wouldn't the cost of the new engine and labour be more than the difference of just selling the 3.6 and getting a 3.8 which has much better standard spec then the 3.6. Also you will end up with a non matching numbers car which might put people of when you sell it?

Thefinn said:
Wouldn't the cost of the new engine and labour be more than the difference of just selling the 3.6 and getting a 3.8 which has much better standard spec then the 3.6. Also you will end up with a non matching numbers car which might put people of when you sell it?

Yup, this.

Sure it's possible, but why would you? Has the 3.6 blown itself up? The difference between a 3.6 and a 3.8 in terms of performance isn't much, 325 vs 355 bhp and a little bit more torque, so really, why bother?

Think I better explain...997 3.6 has badly scored bores 4,5 and 6.
I have access to a used 3.8 S engine with all ancillary items....not many miles and no issues.

Can I take out the 3.6 engine and put in the 3.8 or will there be huge issues?
The 3.6 997 is a 54 plate and the 3.8 engine is from a 2006 model...

Has the 3.6 lunched itself?
How much is the 3.8 being offered to you for?
I'd rather Hartech rebuild my engine, less hassle and in my eyes more desirable at resale time. Potentially could increase displacement at the same time
Just a thought

I just need to know if the swap can be done or not....I'm not interested in selling the car or having an £11k rebuild. I have an engine available to me that is 3.8.....I just need someone on here to say yes you can do a straight swap or ...yes but...or no.
I appreciate that everyone automatically looks at rebuilds and it has to be Hartech etc but I have an engine that has barely been broken in as the car it's from was written off.

I don't know for certain but I can't imagine there will be much which prevents it being done. You may be better off getting the ECU from the written off car to save having to have a 3.8 map put on the 3.6 ecu as I'm sure that will be different.

In terms of bolting the engine up, both cars will use the same parts and chassis so I highly doubt it will be a problem actually fitting the engine.

On the 996 cars there were some significant changes to ECU versions, throttle, and massive changes in displacement across the range, so there are some hidden traps when trying to transplant a 996 engine from one car to another. I imagine these are the traps which would await in a 997 transplant.

:?:

Engines are exactly the same imho only the power is different, however I'd be surprised if it wouldnt work, you may need to swap out the ECU as well.... ... I say get it and do the swap!!

J

ragpicker said:
...You may be better off getting the ECU from the written off car to save having to have a 3.8 map put on the 3.6 ecu as I'm sure that will be different.
I imagine these are the traps which would await in a 997 transplant.

Definitely agree that Templar should take the ECU as well.

Don't know about the gen-1 cars, but there are some subtle differences between the 3.6 and 3.8 gen-2 cars.

For example there's extra vacuum and electrical connections on the 3.8 that aren't present in the 3.6:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/561505-changing-the-997-2-engine-air-filters.html#post9663577

So I'd also be thinking about grabbing the engine wiring harness as well...

Karl.

As above presume with wiring harness and ecu and should be quite straightforward with just a few other part changes

Thanks for responding gents. I have just found out the engine is from a C4 and the car it needs to go in is a C2 😬
Does this present even more issues?

The lump is the same. The largest overall diff between the engines is the bore, 3.8s have a thinner sleeve and is the main reason why 3.8s represent the larger proportion of bore score.
Be prudent and take all the lifelines like ecu and wiring loom etc to save you a headache in the future.

toffeeman said:
No idea, but please do a build thread if you end up doing this. I love a good build thread.

Might as well fit a supercharger while you're at it

480/510 hp for the gen1 2.6/3.8 respectively

That's a build thread

My only added input to what the other have said is , dont forget the brakes are bigger on an S also the headers are a different shape , So I am sure it can be done but just consider the other area around just the lump , does the block you have access to also have the plenum throttle body as the top half the engine induction etc is slightly different. shouldn't be an issue but you need to consider it . Would make a great build thread if you decide to do it we could see how you overcame the little snags like the ones I mentioned . :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back