Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

987 to 981 airbag swap

968bloke

Hi all, bought a 981 steering wheel manual only no airbag, thinking the round airbag from my 987 gen 2 would fit but the horn ring assy is different , anybody know if it's possible and what's required? Thanks

I'd need to see your wheel but it should fit, if you're gen.2 wheel is the later wheel (early gen.2 cars had the gen.1 wheel.

Hi , the 987 wheel is the one with the T shaped horn ring, the airbag module is round but the retaining system and horn push different. :?: :?:

If your wheel is like either pic 2 or 3 the air bag is interchangeable if its like the one in pic 1 then you will need a new airbag, Nigel99 has just changed his gen2 wheel to the type in pic 1 he would be able to give you any info you need on how to do it and what you need etc. :thumb:

Attachments

• images_136.jpg
    images_136.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 5,521
  • 99104440000lr_750.jpg
    99104440000lr_750.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 5,521
  • 99104440030_lr_108.jpg
    99104440030_lr_108.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 5,521
Hi, none of the above,looks like the airbag could be removed from the horn ring assy but would need brackets from 981 retaining system,then some method for horn operation maybe new pickup ring under the wheel.

I think you need to explain in a bit more detail as I am now a bit confussed as to what your trying to do , what do you mean by horn ring assembly :?: :dont know:

968bloke said:
Hi, none of the above,looks like the airbag could be removed from the horn ring assy but would need brackets from 981 retaining system,then some method for horn operation maybe new pickup ring under the wheel.

Need photos. If your wheel is none of thenohitis shown then I don't think it will fit.

Hi , start again ,mine must be an early gen 2 with round airbag but contained in a three spoke horn ring design, the wiring for the horn come up to the airbag on a brown plug and then to three contact pads on the base of the airbag module, the 981 must have a different contact ring under the wheel with a contact through to the airbag module which is the horn push. All in all I will probably put the 981 wheel back on the market and take a hit for not doing enough homework :pc: :sad:

968bloke said:
Hi , start again ,mine must be an early gen 2 with round airbag but contained in a three spoke horn ring design, the wiring for the horn come up to the airbag on a brown plug and then to three contact pads on the base of the airbag module, the 981 must have a different contact ring under the wheel with a contact through to the airbag module which is the horn push. All in all I will probably put the 981 wheel back on the market and take a hit for not doing enough homework :pc: :sad:

So does your wheel look like this , which is the gen1 sports wheel but may have been fitted to very early gen2 cars

Attachments

• download_134.jpg
    download_134.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 5,479
968bloke said:
Yep that's the one!

OK good ,so which of the above three wheels are you looking to fit instead of the one you have :thumb:

968bloke said:
Same as number2 in alcantara from a 981

lovely, same as mine ,

So your right your round airbag wont fit but your old wheel and air bag could be sold on ebay to recoupe some of your costs as gen1 drivers with the std triangle airbag would want the round sports one so it would sell easily.

what you will need it this airbag these sell for around £350 to £499

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-P...999533?hash=item3ae63f1eed:g:Ut0AAOSwq1JZLofL

as its a manual you shouldnt need the newer steering control module . when fitting the new airbag make sure the cables sit in the groove for them and apply silicon grease around the airbag especially on the three holding tabs this will stop it sticking when you press the horn . :thumb:

Attachments

• img_2059_105.jpg
    img_2059_105.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 5,455
If after you have fitted it the horn doesnt work then you will need to go to your local opc and get them to hook up PIWIS and turn on the multifunction option , you will need to insist they do this as they will think they know better and will say "it hasnt got multifunction " so just insist they do this and you will be good to go. :thumb: let me know if you have any other questions :thumb:

Thanks Phil for your time and patience much appreciated :worship: :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back