Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Screech from clutch

bernardo

My C4 is has started to screech/chirp on clutch release when it's very hot, like after an hour stuck in a traffic jam.

It only does it a couple of times and then doesn't do it again until the next time it gets hot.

I suspect the clutch release bearing or the clutch itself as there's 60k on it.

Can anyone recommend a good indy in North or West London just in case? (I need this info anyway for the next service)

Also, roughly, how much would it cost to replace the clutch on a 3.4 C4

Thanks

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

My clutch did this for a long time (about a year), then one day on the way to work, something snapped inside the clutch and it went really 'easy' to actuate. Car still drove fine and clutch was ok but slipped if really driven hard. At that point I had a new clutch fitted. Bought a Sachs clutch kit for £220 and then had (my) local mechanic fit it. Total labour is around £300ish so budget £600, although may be a bit more pricey on labour round your manor.

Whilst you're in there, get your mechanic to check the rms and also remove the ims cover plate and check the bearing. When he tells you it's ok, have him remove the outer dust shield off the bearing to allow the engine oil to lubricate it. If the bearing shows signs of play, have a think about it being replaced at the same time, but come on here for advice if you do. Might also be a good idea to check out your air oil separator whilst the box is off and you have access to replace it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back