Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 5
997 : 2004- 73
996 : 1997-2005 50
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 12
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

MaxA
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krispe wrote:
I still can't make my mind up between this and Ohlins? I currently have Eibach springs and H&R rollbars. I like the idea of Ohlins as I can adjust the heights further and they should have a consistent feel as they are passive so I will know exactly how the car will respond under different cornering situations. Also it means 4 new shocks whereas if I go DSC I'm still using my original 60k mile shocks. However my car is a daily driver that does a few long road trips, (Alps, Scotland etc) and about 4 trackdays a year and I might find Ohlins a bit overkill for day to day? I like the idea of the DSC and still having the choice of soft or firm at the touch of a button plus I think DSC will be the better daily option. However I can get a good price for the Ohlins too so the difference between them and DSC + 3Axis sensor is only about £400.

I really need a passenger ride in a 997 gen1 with Ohlins and one with DSC to help me decide Question

I would say that the Ohlins R&T are definitely not overkill for the day to day.

I may not have them on the 997 (it only has 45,000km), but I just swapped out the Bilstein B14s for Ohlins on my other car, which is used daily but was mostly modified for the track. The Ohlins are a big improvement on the road, as they allow the car to flow down a country road and handle the cobble stones/tram lines/road works in the city. The B14s were really fantastic on the track, but seriously compromised for the day-to-day. It was like driving around in Sport+ all the time. The ride feels much more natural now, but I've yet to drive the Ohlins equipped car on the track. I've a feeling, if nothing else, it should be able to take the kerbs pretty well...

As to the 997, I didn't see the point of swapping out the very clever active suspension when I could quickly and easily improve the active suspension with a software upgrade. The 997 is now much improved in both soft and hard modes, as it reacts so much faster in the day to day soft mode, and still takes that very hard edge off the Sport+ mode. It's almost spooky.

Now if only someone would sell a software upgrade for the PDK box...

996ttalot
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krispe wrote:
I still can't make my mind up between this and Ohlins? I currently have Eibach springs and H&R rollbars. I like the idea of Ohlins as I can adjust the heights further and they should have a consistent feel as they are passive so I will know exactly how the car will respond under different cornering situations. Also it means 4 new shocks whereas if I go DSC I'm still using my original 60k mile shocks. However my car is a daily driver that does a few long road trips, (Alps, Scotland etc) and about 4 trackdays a year and I might find Ohlins a bit overkill for day to day? I like the idea of the DSC and still having the choice of soft or firm at the touch of a button plus I think DSC will be the better daily option. However I can get a good price for the Ohlins too so the difference between them and DSC + 3Axis sensor is only about £400.

I really need a passenger ride in a 997 gen1 with Ohlins and one with DSC to help me decide Question
Struggling to see how you only get to £400 difference ? DSC + 3x fitted is about £1500. Fitting Ohlins is going to be the best part of £1100 including vat assuming you don't need any other parts and then you have the Ohlins on top?

One of the main benefits of the DSC is the price difference over the like of Ohlins.

In terms of driving, I have done both. Ohlins will give you more adjustment if you are into track days etc, but for mostly road usage, the DSC is all you need.

Ken

Jcx
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:

Now if only someone would sell a software upgrade for the PDK box...

What do you want to improve in the PDK?

Martian
Magny-Cours

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:
The DSC unit was the first thing I added to my 997 turbo, literally days after buying the car, as I just found the car un-driveable on my local roads. Ridiculously bouncy in normal mode and rock solid in sport......

You bought a car that was un-driveable on UK roads? Did you test drive it? Confused

In its day, a 997 Turbo was praised for its on road manners and I must say that I never really had any issues with the damping. I bought the DSC module to bring the PASM a bit more up to date and to be able to drive it in the firm setting on the road.

rabbitstew
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian wrote:
rabbitstew wrote:
The DSC unit was the first thing I added to my 997 turbo, literally days after buying the car, as I just found the car un-driveable on my local roads. Ridiculously bouncy in normal mode and rock solid in sport......

You bought a car that was un-driveable on UK roads? Did you test drive it? Confused

In its day, a 997 Turbo was praised for its on road manners and I must say that I never really had any issues with the damping. I bought the DSC module to bring the PASM a bit more up to date and to be able to drive it in the firm setting on the road.

Yep, the test drive was quite short and it was only in the days afterwards when I started getting used to the car and pushing it more I found that I just didnt like the handling and I honestly wondered if I had made a (very costly) mistake in buying the car.

I came from driving an BMW M-Sport suspension car for the previous 4 years, so it might have been that I was just used to much firmer suspension. But, on my local B road, its quite bumpy in places and I found the turbo just bounced along, much like a container ship on bouncy choppy seas. You would floor it and the front of the car would fly up like it was a see-saw. Its the only turbo i drove, so i dont know if all are like that, but from what research I did online, its apparently "normal". The DSC box completely fixed it.
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2

Martian
Magny-Cours

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:
....I found the turbo just bounced along, much like a container ship on bouncy choppy seas. You would floor it and the front of the car would fly up like it was a see-saw. Its the only turbo i drove, so i dont know if all are like that, but from what research I did online, its apparently "normal".....

That's not normal. I drove a few before buying mine 8.5 years ago and have never experienced choppy/see-saw damping. Maybe you have worn shocks/bushes and now the DSC module is compensating for it.

Even Clarkson, the serial 911 hater, praised the 997 Turbo's handling/suspension at its inception.

krispe
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

996ttalot wrote:
Struggling to see how you only get to £400 difference ? DSC + 3x fitted is about £1500. Fitting Ohlins is going to be the best part of £1100 including vat assuming you don't need any other parts and then you have the Ohlins on top?

One of the main benefits of the DSC is the price difference over the like of Ohlins.

In terms of driving, I have done both. Ohlins will give you more adjustment if you are into track days etc, but for mostly road usage, the DSC is all you need.

Ken

The £400 difference was just on the initial purchase price and was only applicable to me due to personal business purchase options Wink . I hadn't included fitting of the ohlins but again it will work out a lot less than £1100 for me. I would also then have the benefit new shocks and springs all round and would then probably also re-sell my Eibach springs. The issue with just going DSC is I'm still running around on 60k mile shocks which may need replacement (or service) at some point in the near future which then also adds further costs.

I am really interested in your driving opinions Ken as that's really what I'm after as not many have driven both. I love the idea of a new set of Ohlins on my car as have read so many good reviews, but only if my 'daily driving' isn't compromised. However I quite like the way my car handles now most of the time. It's just 'Normal' is a bit too soft (body roll and dive) for 'pressing on' sometimes, and 'Sport' too bouncy (for the road). I guess DSC would be the best option to try first as I'm pretty sure I could re-sell it on here pretty quickly if I then decide I still want Ohlins. I do like being able to have a 'great' road setting and track setting at the touch of a button.

rhino-man
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best money you can spend on a 911 with PASM, qualifies as a no brainer. Took mine out after a couple of months to drive to the OPC for a 111 point check and the difference even in normal mode is so pronounced. Rarely use sport on the road with the DSC fitted as normal is so good but it transforms the car at the track.

FredGT3
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrmmm for the chap above, PDK upgrade not too hard to find.

Look up Cobb

https://www.cobbtuning.com/accessport-tuning-for-porsche-pdk-transmissions/

997 expected now ish

rhino-man
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FredGT3 wrote:

Look up Cobb

997 expected now ish

I hadn't heard of that before so thanks for the heads up. Not available for mine just yet but coming soon it appears but I'd wait until my warranty expires before doing that kind of mod.
At least the DSC box can be unplugged and reverted to stock in five minutes.

Phil 997
Fuji

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FredGT3 wrote:

Look up Cobb

997 expected now ish

lol You beat me too it Fred , I was just scrolling down to see if anyone had answered Max query about remap for the pdk box Thumb

996ttalot
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krispe wrote:
996ttalot wrote:

Ken

The £400 difference was just on the initial purchase price and was only applicable to me due to personal business purchase options Wink . I hadn't included fitting of the ohlins but again it will work out a lot less than £1100 for me. I would also then have the benefit new shocks and springs all round and would then probably also re-sell my Eibach springs. The issue with just going DSC is I'm still running around on 60k mile shocks which may need replacement (or service) at some point in the near future which then also adds further costs.

I am really interested in your driving opinions Ken as that's really what I'm after as not many have driven both. I love the idea of a new set of Ohlins on my car as have read so many good reviews, but only if my 'daily driving' isn't compromised. However I quite like the way my car handles now most of the time. It's just 'Normal' is a bit too soft (body roll and dive) for 'pressing on' sometimes, and 'Sport' too bouncy (for the road). I guess DSC would be the best option to try first as I'm pretty sure I could re-sell it on here pretty quickly if I then decide I still want Ohlins. I do like being able to have a 'great' road setting and track setting at the touch of a button.

You make a valid point about the state of your existing suspension. If you are at that point then potentially going Ohlins route works, or you could do b16 and retain the PASM.

What you are after is achieved through the DSC. I have not had a customer who thinks otherwise and I have sold over 100 units this year alone. And that applies through to 991 where the PASM is slightly better.

Actually surprised Porsche have just not bought the DSC module to be frank.

Ohlins will always feel better for the reasons you have already stated. We fit Ohlins on a regular basis for non PASM cars, and occasionally on PASM cars. However I feel DSC gets you 95% of the way, assuming the car is set up correctly well. When we fit DSC we normally will make sure if shop installation that the geometry is done as well and dampers are in good condition.

You made a good observation - if you buy the DSC and feel you then need to move to Ohlins, then you will get back pretty much what you have paid for it. I wouldn't dismiss the idea of if you like the DSC, when you want a further upgrade (or refresh) of suspension, then go b16 route - that is if you can get them as we have 5 sets on order for 4 months now nooo

FredGT3
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
FredGT3 wrote:

Look up Cobb

997 expected now ish

lol You beat me too it Fred , I was just scrolling down to see if anyone had answered Max query about remap for the pdk box Thumb

My GT3 is having its pdk box replaced this week, I did quite a lot of searching on pdk boxes!

DucatiRob
Suzuka

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me personally I would go with Ohlins any day from a vfm perspective, far superior quality springs and dampers over oem and no box of tricks will ever make beat higher quality suspension components.
Ducati 996

Phil 997
Fuji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont suppose anyone has a used DSC SPORT v1 they want to sell Laughing Very Happy

New997buyer
Yas Marina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thumbsup from me on the DSC box too. Put simply it addresses the technological advances in electronics since the cars were built and now. And the results are phenomenal.

As Ken muses it is a curious thing that Porsche haven’t taken more interest DSC. In sourcing isn’t what I’d expect them to do though, instead I’d have thought they might consider them as part of their supply chain. It’s disappointing that they haven’t.

DSC might want to approach Delphi, Faurecia, Denso et al instead Question

997.1 turbo
Ex 996.2 turbo, 996.1 C2

Last edited by New997buyer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Jcx
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longer and harder test for me last night. It's remarkable. There is one corner that is a 100degree corner on a fave route of mine. It has an adverse camber, and a drop off so jeopardy is high. With PASM the car and the corner feel risky at speed. With the DSC Sport controller I hit the corner faster than before and the outside front wheel just dug into the tarmac and the car shot around. OMG.

On the comfort side, I could barely tell the difference between sport and std. both are very compliant.

I do have some weird buggy behaviours with various buttons so I need to explore those with DSC directly.

Phil 997
Fuji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jcx wrote:
Longer and harder test for me last night. It's remarkable. There is one corner that is a 100degree corner on a fave route of mine. It has an adverse camber, and a drop off so jeopardy is high. With PASM the car and the corner feel risky at speed. With the DSC Sport controller I hit the corner faster than before and the outside front wheel just dug into the tarmac and the car shot around. OMG.

On the comfort side, I could barely tell the difference between sport and std. both are very compliant.

I do have some weird buggy behaviours with various buttons so I need to explore those with DSC directly.

what sort of weird buggy behaviour with the buttons , isnt it a simple sport on or sport off which leads me to another question does the unit run from the existing sport button in the car or do you have a complicated box of tricks controller on view constantly . Question

Jcx
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Jcx wrote:

what sort of weird buggy behaviour with the buttons , isnt it a simple sport on or sport off which leads me to another question does the unit run from the existing sport button in the car or do you have a complicated box of tricks controller on view constantly . Question

The box uses the std buttons. It's a very clean implementation. The buggy bits are bug-like and quite random. I'll investigate with DSC and report back. The issue could be between the button and the seat Wink

boardingnath997

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each subsequent post that lands on this thread puts me closer to £1k leaving my bank account!! PC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: