Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 9
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 41
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 838



PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Standard Ride Height Reply with quote

Can i ask what is the standard ride height for a C2 and also how many ride heights are there if I decide to lower the car. Reason beings is am liking to overhaul my suspension and without going too low cos of speed bumps etc... don't want to be I using old springs on new shocks..

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
CarreraMonkey
Kyalami


Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Posts: 1974
Location: Silverstone (ish)

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche gave the MO30 kit a -20mm drop, but -25mm looks better still imo and won't give any clearance issues as far as I know.
_________________
Laters Taters!

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 838



PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarreraMonkey wrote:
Porsche gave the MO30 kit a -20mm drop, but -25mm looks better still imo and won't give any clearance issues as far as I know.


So from factory the C2 springs that's on my car are 20mm drop?

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
CarreraMonkey
Kyalami


Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Posts: 1974
Location: Silverstone (ish)

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- 997 -- wrote:
CarreraMonkey wrote:
Porsche gave the MO30 kit a -20mm drop, but -25mm looks better still imo and won't give any clearance issues as far as I know.


So from factory the C2 springs that's on my car are 20mm drop?

Cheers

J


Only if you have mo30 suspension fitted.

Mine has 'sports chassis' which was a free option to replace the pasm with mo30 suspension and a LSD. Not sure if it is straight forward to just swap out springs on a pasm suspension car. Assume it is.
_________________
Laters Taters!

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 838



PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PASM on my car but no MO30 kit, I guess if I were to get Bilsteins all round I'll be getting a set of H&R springs to match but need to avoid lowering and if I do it will have to be the least drop as the speed bumps around where I am is bloody ridiculous..

It's why I was asking what the factory spring drop would be so from there I can work out what would be the best bet for me etc...

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
SausageCreature
Barcelona


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 1471



PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly certain that the C2 is 10mm higher than the C2S regardless of PASM/Non-PASM options.

So AFAIK you have 10mm you can lower before you are even matching the standard ride height of the C2S.

However, I cannot answer your specific question, sorry.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Suzuka


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 1053
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there 3 ride heights?
Std
PASM -10MM
Sport PASM -20MM
That sounds familiar to me but I may be incorrect
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Shanghai
Shanghai


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 10044
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZP wrote:
Aren't there 3 ride heights?
Std
PASM -10MM
Sport PASM -20MM
That sounds familiar to me but I may be incorrect


I think that's correct the lowest one is the sport chassis
the one fitted to most S cars is pasm and non S cars the highest std which is 10mm higher than the pasm.
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
SausageCreature
Barcelona


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 1471



PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A C2 with PASM is not 10mm lower than standard, and that is what I think the OP has.


So to say that a PASM car is 10mm lower than standard height is not actually correct.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 838



PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a C2S with PASM NOT activated just standard sits at 10mm??

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MJA911
Indianapolis


Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 2494
Location: Berkshire

2006 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PASM settings are normal or firm (not on or off) and don’t affect ride height - as far as I know.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 838



PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJA911 wrote:
PASM settings are normal or firm (not on or off) and don’t affect ride height - as far as I know.


Ok, so what is the ride height then, would it be 10mm ?

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MJA911
Indianapolis


Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 2494
Location: Berkshire

2006 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with earlier post, PASM cars are 10mm lower than standard, PASM sport are 20mm lower.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 838



PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJA911 wrote:
I agree with earlier post, PASM cars are 10mm lower than standard, PASM sport are 20mm lower.


So what is the standard height? Presumably C2 and C2s with PASM would be the same?

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MJA911
Indianapolis


Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 2494
Location: Berkshire

2006 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I don’t know if that’s the case or not.

Visually you can see that a standard non S car sits higher than an S, it could well be because a non S sits 10m higher to start with and PASM on the S increases the difference by another 10mm. I can believe this is true, they do seem to ride high so your car could be riding 10mm higher than an S even though it has got PASM.

A suspension specialist like Centre Gravity would know this.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 838



PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJA911 wrote:
Sorry but I don’t know if that’s the case or not.

Visually you can see that a standard non S car sits higher than an S, it could well be because a non S sits 10m higher to start with and PASM on the S increases the difference by another 10mm. I can believe this is true, they do seem to ride high so your car could be riding 10mm higher than an S even though it has got PASM.

A suspension specialist like Centre Gravity would know this.


Ok MJA911, did forget to mention in the original post the I have the C2S,

what it is ... is that I'm looking to wanna change my suspension and fit new springs BUT don't want to lower it cos of speed bumps etc so Im Looking for springs that's the same height as what I currently have that's factory standard, something like H&R springs, if I can't find like for like then probably the next best thing would be little lower in the range etc if that makes sense, I don't want to use my current springs on new SHOCKS which is why I'm asking what height would be my car so I can start from somewhere....

Cheers..

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MJA911
Indianapolis


Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 2494
Location: Berkshire

2006 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, understood, yes, the point of H&R springs seems to be to lower the car but still retain the ride quality (e.g. on a PASM car by 30mm) whereas if you want to keep ride height as it is, maybe the best option is to replacement Porsche springs, but I’m outside my knowledge now and there could well be alternatives.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
SausageCreature
Barcelona


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 1471



PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned my C2 PASM for seven years I have heard all sorts of different opinions on this, from specialists in the business as well as from OPC. There seems quite a lot of confusion and contrary views. So I made a point of trying to clarify this because like the OP at some point I am going to want to refresh my car's suspension.
I have also noticed that C2S do seem to sit lower - it is noticeable with the eye and I wondered about this as well. So, having looked into this for seven years....

In my mind I have come to the conclusion, beyond any doubt, that a C2, whether with PASM or not, is the standard height as called earlier here, and it is 10mm higher than a C2S with PASM.

As mentioned earlier - turning PASM to sport or normal does not change the ride height.

So, it seems to me the three are:
standard height
-10mm
-20mm

As for what that height is I do not know, and the Carrera owners manual only confuses things more by stating :

Dimensions
Length 175.6 in./4461 mm
Width 71.2 in./1808 mm
Height 51.6 in./1310 mm
Wheelbase 92.6 in./2350 mm
Ground clearance 4.2 in./106 mm
at maximum gross weight 3.4 in./86 mm
Turning circle 35.8 ft./10.9 m
Vehicles with PASM
Height 51.2 in./1300 mm
Ground clearance 3.8 in./96 mm
at maximum gross weight 3 in./76 mm

Which mentions a lower height and less ground clearance on a PASM car.

OP - can you just buy your replacements and specify you want standard, or lowered by x cm, when you buy them? Is this is the easiest approach ?

Mark
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Shanghai
Shanghai


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 10044
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SausageCreature wrote:
Having owned my C2 PASM for seven years I have heard all sorts of different opinions on this, from specialists in the business as well as from OPC. There seems quite a lot of confusion and contrary views. So I made a point of trying to clarify this because like the OP at some point I am going to want to refresh my car's suspension.
I have also noticed that C2S do seem to sit lower - it is noticeable with the eye and I wondered about this as well. So, having looked into this for seven years....

In my mind I have come to the conclusion, beyond any doubt, that a C2, whether with PASM or not, is the standard height as called earlier here, and it is 10mm higher than a C2S with PASM.

As mentioned earlier - turning PASM to sport or normal does not change the ride height.

So, it seems to me the three are:
standard height
-10mm
-20mm

As for what that height is I do not know, and the Carrera owners manual only confuses things more by stating :

Dimensions
Length 175.6 in./4461 mm
Width 71.2 in./1808 mm
Height 51.6 in./1310 mm
Wheelbase 92.6 in./2350 mm
Ground clearance 4.2 in./106 mm
at maximum gross weight 3.4 in./86 mm
Turning circle 35.8 ft./10.9 m
Vehicles with PASM
Height 51.2 in./1300 mm
Ground clearance 3.8 in./96 mm
at maximum gross weight 3 in./76 mm

Which mentions a lower height and less ground clearance on a PASM car.

OP - can you just buy your replacements and specify you want standard, or lowered by x cm, when you buy them? Is this is the easiest approach ?

Mark


That does seem to make sense Mark and is also how I understood it. I had also assumed that a non S car that does not come as std with PASM if the car was optioned to have PASM would also now be 10mm lower as the S cars
Your post does seem to concur with that as it specifies PASM or non Pasm and doesnt mention S or non S Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
SausageCreature
Barcelona


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 1471



PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

Hi Phil -
no mate, sorry, my car is a NON S car, it is a C2, not a C2S, so sorry if that wasn't clear.

So, just to be clear. A Carrera (NON S) that was bought with PASM still sits at the standard height with no 10 (or 20) mm reduction Smile

This contradicts lots of opinions and also the owners manual, but I have owned the proof for 7 years.

M
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum