Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gear shift cable question

peterzoom

Spa-Francorchamps
I am just pulling together a shopping list for an overhaul of my gear control mechanisims and spotted the item below on the Design 911 site.
Does anyone here have any experience of this item? I can't see any evidence that my cables have ever been replaced, so its preventative maintenance more that anything else. But this item caught my eye as I haven't ever heard that cables coming adrift might be a potential problem

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt376...6-C4-3-4L-1997-08-01/Gearshift-Control-Parts/

GEAR SHIFT CABLE SECURITY CLAMPS PORSCHE 996
Code: TRSSSC996
Have you ever been stranded on the side of the road, or stuck in the pits because of a broken shift linkage on your transmission? The rear shift linkage on your Porsche is a weak point and the plastic coupling that holds itself to the transmission selector becomes very brittle and breaks, causing the cables to come off from the transmission. This leaves you stranded in whatever gear you may be in and has also caused problems for many people at the track as well, ruining their day.

These TRS shift linkage security clips ensure that the cables will not come off of the selector. Straight forward and easy installation.

Manufactured in U.S.A. by TuneRS Motorsports

Does not apply to Tiptronic vehicles.

All 996 models (manual transmission)

Fits:
Porsche 996

My mecanic just put thick cables ties round mine - 10p. :thumb:

Cable ties immediately sprang to my mind when I saw this product too. I guess the hardest bit with them is actually finding a fully qualified Cable Tie Technician :floor:

I hope you're qualified to do so?

wasz said:
anyone got a pic of their cable tied setup?

Mine doesn't have any... something else to add to the service list.

No picture as i never thought id need one :oops:

But the bracket on the gearbox that holds the cables then you just put a cable tie behind that and over the cables .. its only to stop the cables working their way out of the bracket is all .

wasz said:
anyone got a pic of their cable tied setup?

Mine doesn't have any... something else to add to the service list.

RH pink arrow

pic06.jpg

I fixed a 997 that had popped out at the gear lever end when we were at the Top Gear track, he thought his day was over but it ended up being easy to re-fit.

I do also have cable ties at the gearbox end of my shifter cables, I am actually qualified to install them though.

infrasilver said:
I do also have cable ties at the gearbox end of my shifter cables, I am actually qualified to install them though.

Only on kettles though......unless you have the correct PPE when applying to air-cooled:

848f89f9d2d604daf5e73fbbf0a38c3c--socks-and-sandals-pitch.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back