Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Footwell light - N/S Not operating after changing bulb

JP_Turbo

Hi Guys,

As title suggests, I changed out my interior lights for the LED pack.

When changing them out I noitced that the drivers side footwell was illuminated and the passenger wasn't. I swapped bulbs around from a working bulb and still no joy.

Anyone can shed and "light" on this matter? :D

Glove box light and all other lights are fine. Just this one is not coming on? So I am assuming it cannot be the fuse...

Try turning the bulb around, assuming it is a "festoon" type.

Most of the LED units are polar so have to have the + & - the correct way round.

Clanky said:
Try turning the bulb around, assuming it is a "festoon" type.

Most of the LED units are polar so have to have the + & - the correct way round.

Tried this already. I took out the glove compartment one which was illiuminating and then plugged it straight in. Also I tried a normal filament bulb still no joy.

All connections seem firm so no loose connections there either

:?:

Fit the old bulb in to see if it comes on, if not then check the plug that goes in the bulb holder, ideally I would get a multi meter to check if there are any power...

J

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for 30 mins and then re-connecting....i can recall something weird happens if you accidentally short the light when removing it? I can't remember how to fix it though

It might need a vehicle handover useing a tester , its controled by i think the vesa cu so that would need a tester for fault codes etc .

I dont think theres any seperate fuses , certainly not one for each individual light .

Did it work before you started ?

I can dig out a wiring diagram if needed but i would kinda think this is down to a control unit messing around .

-- 997 -- said:
Fit the old bulb in to see if it comes on, if not then check the plug that goes in the bulb holder, ideally I would get a multi meter to check if there are any power...

J

Tried this no Joy. The lead on my multi meter has spilt so cant use it to check if there is voltage there :(

seeforez said:
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for 30 mins and then re-connecting....i can recall something weird happens if you accidentally short the light when removing it? I can't remember how to fix it though

I think you are right.

I think it worked before but not 100% sure if it did. I just left it for the time being and its been a while since I have had time to fiddle.

Will disconnect the battery and try again - I lose trip values when I do this though right?

Demort said:
It might need a vehicle handover useing a tester , its controled by i think the vesa cu so that would need a tester for fault codes etc .

I dont think theres any seperate fuses , certainly not one for each individual light .

Did it work before you started ?

I can dig out a wiring diagram if needed but i would kinda think this is down to a control unit messing around .

Do you mean I need to get it tested with diagnostics?

My friend works for the AA and it didnt bring up anything on the bosch system

Ok i did a bit of digging , both lights are controled by the vesa cu but both are linked so that if one works then the other should .. need to check the non working one with a meter to see what you are missing .

Diag below .

Attachments

• int_light_123.jpg
    int_light_123.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 5,298
Demort said:
Ok i did a bit of digging , both lights are controled by the vesa cu but both are linked so that if one works then the other should .. need to check the non working one with a meter to see what you are missing .

Diag below .

Thanks for this mate. Still aint had a chance to disconnect battery for 30 mins. But I can imagine this isnt going to help the situation?

I doubt it now that i have looked at the wiring diagram .. both sides are linked so if one works then the other should .

I would start with a meter on the non working one and check for an earth and a feed on each wire , disconnect the wires from the lamp first then check , see whats missing .. if neither are then its the bulb or the lamp .. if feed or earth is missing then its a break in the wire ..

You can trace to the fault or run a bypass wire as per the diagram .

Demort said:
I doubt it now that i have looked at the wiring diagram .. both sides are linked so if one works then the other should .

I would start with a meter on the non working one and check for an earth and a feed on each wire , disconnect the wires from the lamp first then check , see whats missing .. if neither are then its the bulb or the lamp .. if feed or earth is missing then its a break in the wire ..

You can trace to the fault or run a bypass wire as per the diagram .

Where is the unit located? Might just have to follow the cable from there or vice versa

This is for a LHD car so yours will be on the opposite side , above and to the left of the fuse board .. there are other control units there though .

This will have x2 plugs in it .

Attachments

• vesa_1_198.jpg
    vesa_1_198.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 4,814
Have you tried swapping the complete light unit out not just the bulb? I blew my glovebox light trying fit LEDs and there is a resistor contained it the light, perhaps that might have failed? ( on mine it was the micro switch that I'd blown, not applicable in your instance ) perhaps worth a try?
Got a spare lamp unit if swapping works.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back