Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pros & Cons of Varioram and Non-Varioram engines

MattyR

Prompted by an earlier thread concerning the possible conversion of Endoman's non-Varioram unit to Varioram, it got me thinking. Is the updated unit considered wholly better or does the non-VR engine have any traits prefered over it's beefier sibling?..

Simplicity has a to be in favour of the Non-VR.

The VR system was developed for the RS

I imagine the best is the one you have in your car, just like car and interior colours, that's how it works isn't it? :)

Non vr

In a recent interview Mr RS himself Andreas Prune.........er said he has a non vr 993 and considers it the pick of the bunch!

Nick Faure prefers non-vario.

Deniers. My 285bhp kicks sand in your underdeveloped faces.

Hi

I have a mapped non vario, and it picks up much better than when it was standard. I have heard it said that the non vario cars take a map better than the varios.

I have never driven a vario, but I would be a bit miffed if they weren't at least a bit better!

Berni

^^never driven a non VR 993 but for balance/comparison my ex VR 4S was superb after a Wayne remap with just over 315bhp pulling strong throughout the range without the need to keep the revs high to stir it up :thumb:

So, is the key a good remap on either version to deliver the full potential??

highway said:

....... er Steve ....... I didn't notice that when we were up in Wales earlier in the year ......... :floor:

Hi

If we are chatting about remaps I shall tell you my short story.

My car is a Tip, and right from the start I was never really happy with the way the car picked up from low speeds. Even after rebuilding the engine to fix a broken piston rng it was still lacklustre.

So one day I am on eBay and I see a remapped chip for £20. I think it even included postage. So in a moment of why not, I bought it.

Chip arrives, I fit it to the ECU and sure enough like magic the car's pick up is significantly improved. So as one would expect I am pleased. The only problem is that now the rev limit seems to be lower than or equal to the gearbox change up points in first and second gears. I cannot remember about third gear. So I get in touch with the chap who sold the chip and ask him if he has any thoughts on the matter. He replies and apologies that he did not realise it was a Tip, the chip is unsuitable and refunds (unasked) the £20. I offer to send the chip back but he doesn't want it.

I still have the old chip, but the £20 one is so much better that I drive on it for a year or so before getting Wayne at Chipwizards to map it. He commented that the checksum on the map was wrong and the rev limit was too low as a result.

So Wayne remaps the car and it drives even better. Quite a lot better in fact. I cannot remember the last time I felt that the car piccks up sluggishly or does not pull as hard as one would expect.

iF I ever buy another 993, it's one of the very first things I would have done. Anyone who says that the (tips at least) cars do not benefit from a decent remap has never had one.

All the best

Berni

:agree:

highway said:

When did you last measure the "285"bhp? If never, I'll wager my NVR-chipped 305bhp kicks sand in your face and pokes you on the nose!

You have to get it chipped by Wayne, it's compulsory :cop:

madalaa said:
highway said:

....... er Steve ....... I didn't notice that when we were up in Wales earlier in the year ......... :floor:

Steve was picturing himself in a computer game :) :)

I drove my friend's NV tip C2 and didn't notice much difference to mine (96 VR Manual C2), neither car has been chipped.

Not sure there's a lot in it, but when I open the rear lid I like the look of all that alloy in there...............

Mine isn't "scripted" tho' so that's a thumbs down

Sorry, not very scientific

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back