Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery and lots of error codes, gen 2

pcat

Spa-Francorchamps
Putting the 997 to bed for the winter for the first time yesterday, i managed to drain the battery with my compressor while over pumping the tryes for storage. There was still some charge but it wouldnt crank and the dash lights were flickering, and i got loads of error messages - psm failure, abs failure, pasm failure etc

Its on charge now but doesnt seem to be working, so i was thinking of putting the bosch battery back in (i took it out 3 years ago for opc warranty)

Is there a procedure for battery swap or is it just disconnect/reconnect?

Will all these errors clear when its back on the road?

Hi had this with a bat. change and got some advice on the forum. If you try a search think you will find it. From memory the advice and what worked for me was just to go a short drive. Turn off and start the engine again and all cleared.
Smudge

Battery swop is straight forward , if its not in the alarmed mode then you dont need the ignition on like the 996 .

Neg lead off first though .

The fault lights you have will clear after a drive exceeding 6 mph , its the steering angle sensor thats dropped out , once the car sees that it will be happy again .

A quick question on battery, what if the battery was disconnected for the winter or even if not using the car say 3 weeks then reconnecting back when wanting to drive, is that bad?

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
A quick question on battery, what if the battery was disconnected for the winter or even if not using the car say 3 weeks then reconnecting back when wanting to drive, is that bad?

Cheers

J

Even if a battery is disconnected it will still need to be charged every 3- 4 weeks , they go flat reguardless .

For the car then it will make no difference , you will have the lights on for pasm , psm , abs failures when reconnecting the battery after 6 monthes or 2 hours .

A short drive will fix them .

Demort said:
-- 997 -- said:

Cheers

J

Even if a battery is disconnected it will still need to be charged every 3- 4 weeks , they go flat reguardless .

For the car then it will make no difference , you will have the lights on for pasm , psm , abs failures when reconnecting the battery after 6 monthes or 2 hours .

A short drive will fix them .

Ahh I see, also if the battery was disconnected for couple weeks does the ECU loses its memory meaning it learns the way you drive etc and after couple weeks or how ever which time it takes can the ECU reset to like default state ? If that makes sence.

When I used to work for ALPINA, when disconnecting the battery and leaving it off for a long period all the settings of the way you drive defaults to factory on the motronic.. which then you have to drive hard or the way you would for the Ecuador to learn and adapt in to speed...

Cheers

J

Demort said:
Short answer .. No

Long answer .. er .. No

Throttle adaption depending on the model but thats the same as a flat battery and it does it anyways .

Cheers Demort, that answers my question perfectly :thumb:

Cheers

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back