Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Viewing my first 997 tonight

BenB91

Hi all,

Viewing my first 997 Carrera S this evening after work and I'm very excited!

What should I check for?

I usually closely inspect the condition of the car, carefully check the service history and any other documentation, then press every button in the car to ensure it works. (Last one comes from once buying a car and a few of the electronics not working).

Thanks

From my limited experience other than what you have already considered it really depends where you are buying from, OPC, Indie or private.

Very broadly speaking my approach would be......

OPC- I would have a high degree of confidence given the warranty, checks and limitations they have regarding what they can sell etc. Having said that be robust to ensure they satisfy all your needs and questions.

Indie - Some cracking dealers out there and plenty of stealers. Usual caution applies, research is key. Many of the reputable dealers will provide an OPC health check or you can arrange/negotiate it as part of the deal. Some other dealer own or 3rd party warranties are good, some not so much. Again be robust! Some people like to include independent inspections as well.

Private - Warranties are transferable but not necessarily an indicator on whether it's a good car or not. Do the research, as you are doing. Again OPC health checks should be easy to arrange as would be a good independent inspection.

History is a great indicator of whether or not the car has been cared for or just owned. Depending on mileage I would be clear on what service is due next and when so there are no surprises.

Regardless of source driving the car for a decent period of time before you pull the trigger will give you a good feel of whether or not it's a good car or not. These cars are built well and all the good ones drive, feel and smell like brand new cars even after 8+ years. Minor squeaks and rattles are considered by some as a 'feature' of the 997s. Bumps, crashes, knocking etc are not.

Lastly trust your instincts. Even if you have spent a few hundred quid for checks on a car but are still having doubts just walk away. Sometimes getting the right car takes time.

Enjoy your search :)

About warranties - Personal preference. I bought a 25k miles 2010 C4S from an OPC. Within 10 months I had a Transmission Emergency Run red warning light on the dash and within 20 secs I lost all transmission. Porsche recovery service was brilliant got me picked up within 90 mins and got a hire car to my house within 3 hours. Fault was a PDK oil temp sensor which needed replacing. Everything was done with no cost to me at all. I was certainly glad I had the warranty and it takes a lot of worry out the ownership experience.

@Monkeynutz Thank you.

It is an indie located in Kent, which has a good online reputation.

I should add the car is 2005 Gen 1 Manual. The guy said he has carried out a borescope inspection and found no issues, plus will provide a 6 month warranty (will check the details of this).

benbuhagiar said:
@Monkeynutz Thank you.

It is an indie located in Kent, which has a good online reputation.

I should add the car is 2005 Gen 1 Manual. The guy said he has carried out a borescope inspection and found no issues, plus will provide a 6 month warranty (will check the details of this).

Good luck :thumb:

Ensure engine is cold before test drive (pre-warn them). Look for flat spots on gentle acceleration from cold in 1st/2nd.
Ensure tyre wear is even across full width. (As per any inspection of used car).
Don't be put off by front end respray for stone chips (common on high value car). Check panel gaps to ensure respray not due to accident damage.

Read buyers guide on Hartech website.

Note vin number if it's gen1 (to determine which IMS is fitted).

James

Why inspect a car at night?
Take an LED light to assess the paintwork and the other checks as above.
All the best 👍

What warranty? RAC/AA are next to useless believe it or not. Lots of warranties won't cover the big ones, which are IMS failure and Bore Scoring.

Finding "no signs" of bore scoring is interesting, but don't believe them unless it's a very good dealer (RSJ/911V and so on) (who is it?)

if it's a good dealer, then you don't have to have a PPI, but might be worth it.

So, IMS was upgraded in later 2005, get the Vin number, you can check, and ask the dealer if it either had the upgraded one, or has it been upgraded, it is essential you have the new one (I avoided 2005 cars for this reason!)

check the back tailpipes for smoke, if only one side is, it could have bore scoring, and also look for one side being sooty (though an unscrupulous dealer will clean them!) as that is also a tell tale sign of bore scoring.

What tyres does it have, it should have Michelins and nothing else, other cheaper tyres are a sign of a car which hasn't been looked after.

Are the break pads and discs all good? A new set of pads and discs is £1000 odd.

A set of new tyres is £800 to £1000.

These cars use oil, it is perfectly normal.

Drive it for a good period of time, don't jump straight in, I would say drive more than one so you can feel how a good one should be.

Slayer said:
All the best 👍

17:45 mate, be light for at least 90 minutes or so, but appreciate your point.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, will note the VIN number.

Pads and discs parts come to just under £600, which I could fit myself.

I don't agree that Michelin are the only good tyre brand but get your point it should have a decent brand of tyre.

benbuhagiar said:
Slayer said:
All the best 👍

17:45 mate, be light for at least 90 minutes or so, but appreciate your point.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, will note the VIN number.

Pads and discs parts come to just under £600, which I could fit myself.

I don't agree that Michelin are the only good tyre brand but get your point it should have a decent brand of tyre.

I didn't say they are the only decent one, but Pilot Sport 2 or Cups are the best for a 911 by a long long long way. 911's are very different on different tyres, even half worn to brand new is a big difference!

I used to have Pirelli's on my S2000, but then they were also a specific tyre for S2000's.......

Waiting here to see how the viewing went :popcorn: :popcorn:

Right gents, so this is the car - http://www.pauldevyea.co.uk/porsche-911997-3-8-carrera-2s-coupe/

The pictures don't do it justice, wasn't too sure on red but after seeing it in the flesh, I think it's fantastic.

First of all, I didn't get to drive it :x Located next to a reservoir and apparently he can't make too much noise outside of normal business hours incase of complaints. Had I wanted to buy it there and then, he would have let me drive it regardless of the rules. My stance was, let me drive it and I may want to buy it. Did invite me to come back during business hours or Saturday morning though. Nice enough guy though and I'm only 10 miles down the road.

Very well specced and in great condition for the age. It is a late 2005 car with the upgraded IMS (didn't get the VIN to verify this but could get it emailed to me) and showed me pictures of the borescope which looked fine. (could have showed me any pictures though, how would I know what car it was???)

Has a sports exhaust, started it and WOW! What an intoxicating sound. My only concern would be does it draw too much attention?

@resigner It did have Michelin tyres which had plenty of tread. He provides his own in-house warranty for 6 months, not a third party one.

I asked would he do a deal for £27k and the answer was no. It's £27,995, take it or leave it.

Spoke about 997 cars in general and he buys 3.6 cars without a borescope inspection, but does inspect every 3.8 car. He thinks the 3.6 is a much much more reliable engine and although the car I saw was fine now, couldn't give any guarantees for the future (wouldn't expect him to).

Anyway, £27,995 is over my budget and I haven't even driven a 997 yet, but does look a fantastic car.

benbuhagiar said:
Right gents, so this is the car - http://www.pauldevyea.co.uk/porsche-911997-3-8-carrera-2s-coupe/

Very well specced and in great condition for the age.

I am not convinced it is has a particularly good spec :dont know:

Out of interest, what make was the exhaust? It doesn't look OEM, but difficult to tell from the pics, I can see it does not have PSE

You should be able to find a newer, better spec car for less money, as long as you are prepared to buy privately.

Good luck with your search :thumb:

benbuhagiar said:

The pictures don't do it justice, wasn't too sure on red but after seeing it in the flesh, I think it's fantastic.

First of all, I didn't get to drive it :x Located next to a reservoir and apparently he can't make too much noise outside of normal business hours incase of complaints. Had I wanted to buy it there and then, he would have let me drive it regardless of the rules. My stance was, let me drive it and I may want to buy it. Did invite me to come back during business hours or Saturday morning though. Nice enough guy though and I'm only 10 miles down the road.

Very well specced and in great condition for the age. It is a late 2005 car with the upgraded IMS (didn't get the VIN to verify this but could get it emailed to me) and showed me pictures of the borescope which looked fine. (could have showed me any pictures though, how would I know what car it was???)

Has a sports exhaust, started it and WOW! What an intoxicating sound. My only concern would be does it draw too much attention?

@resigner It did have Michelin tyres which had plenty of tread. He provides his own in-house warranty for 6 months, not a third party one.

I asked would he do a deal for £27k and the answer was no. It's £27,995, take it or leave it.

Spoke about 997 cars in general and he buys 3.6 cars without a borescope inspection, but does inspect every 3.8 car. He thinks the 3.6 is a much much more reliable engine and although the car I saw was fine now, couldn't give any guarantees for the future (wouldn't expect him to).

Anyway, £27,995 is over my budget and I haven't even driven a 997 yet, but does look a fantastic car.

It does look tidy but its price is where a good one will sit so no need to panic or anything as its not a super bargain or anything. you did the right thing to not let your heart overtake your brain . I would have expected to have got it for 27k as it doesnt have Sport chrono or sport seats and semi auto seats not full auto , no bose , it does have PSE and heated seats it also has a gen1 sports round steering wheel and not the std triangle steering wheel . It looks very tidy in and out . I would say it was mid spec but I do like guards red and a colour coded centre console would really lift that interior and add a sporty feel . I do think 27k would get you a slightly newer and slightly better spec C2S but only you know if it will end up being the right car . but if you do go back use the things I listed that it doesnt have to get him down to 27k . Heres the vin code info re IMS upgrades vin numbers for you to keep close when looking at cars. As IMO the IMS is potentially more to worry about than borescore as that can be scoped prior to purchase.

Last IMS revision before no IMS (Gen2 MA1 block):

997 Carrera 3.6 with engine numbers from M96/0569507475 are the new IMS design.

M96/05 = 997 3.6 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
9 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
07475 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

997 Carrera S 3.8 with engine numbers from M97/0168509790 are the new IMS design.

M97/01 = 997 3.8 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
8 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
09790 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back