Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First Porsche !

blackram

I am shortly going to look at a gen 1 991 CS which will be my first Porsche! Very excited but also very apprehensive. As you know, there aren't many around and I have been looking for a few months now so when one pops up that is my perfect spec it is very tempting to grab with both hands! However, it is a private purchase so treading carefully. The car has OPC warranty that runs out early next year. What risk is there for me because clearly the major parts will be covered as I will be renewing the warranty? How long realistically can I expect the clutch to last from new on an 'average' 991CS2? I am not concerned about incidentals such as brakes and tyres but what else should I be considering (apart from the usual car buying issues such as HPI, etc)? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

:welcome: to 911uk

Clutch life will always depend upon type of use so I doubt that you'll get any definitive answer to your question - especially as there's not may manual cars around and not many will have done the mileage to have needed a clutch yet.

The OPC warranty will cover you for any parts (large and small) that fail due to manufacturing issues and should allow you complete peace of mind.

Have a good read of the 991 sub-forum but I'm not aware of any particular issues that relate to this model.

Good Luck - and don't forget to post some pics when you've pick your car up. :thumbs:

Thanks T8. The car has PDK if that makes any difference? I will certainly be posting pics if I buy it....let's be half full....when I buy it! Very excited - have spent half an hour on the phone with the local OPC - very helpful guy in the service department - explaining whe is goin gto be required in the next few months re servicing etc. so I know what i'm in for.....hopefully!
Early nights now :sleepy: as I won't get much sleep next week before seeing it :lol:

Welcome to the forum. You don't mention the year so general points..

They are great well made cars....

Quick points that the service guy may have covered-
4 year service may be due which includes new plugs, belt inspection and new can of tyre sealant (budget £1400 I think)
Battery likely to go at circa 5 years as a lot do. Same with tyre pressure sensors. Regard all as consumables.
Warranty is tied to the car and can transfer to you no issue., it needs a 111point £250 inspection to extend so (ask the private seller to run it through and extend one or two years as part of the sale if you can). Soft benefit is it gets a high level check at the OPC).
The above is not a full inspection/history check, up to you if you go the extra on this as the cars are high value.

No major problems as T8 said, but a couple of things that may go (all covered under warranty) fuel flap catch, brake peddle bush goes stiff, water solenoid in engine throw up faults that are easily sorted at opc).

Always worth a call to service guys at whichever opc supplied or last serviced the car to ask what work carried out. They won't give full details but most will give you the highlights.

PDK reduces the risk of a mechanically unsympathetic use of the clutch, but does not remove the risk of a numpty driver completely, only inspection can tell you what the real wear is.

If you do purchase privately and the tracker is active, ask for the password for the tracker the account or you won't be able to transfer it quickly.

Good luck with the purchase..what colour is it?

Thanks G2.
I am going to see the car in a few days' time. Is there any sense in getting the seller to put the car through the 111pt test at his local OPC? It has OPC warranty until the end of the year but will need a test prior to renewing the warranty. I am worried that I will put it through the text in a week or two only to find that it needs loads doing ! At least if he puts it through the test and I pay him for the test if it passes, then at least I stand a better chance of it passing when I have it done under my ownership (particularly if I have it done by the same OPC)? Make sense?

blackram said:
I am shortly going to look at a gen 1 991 CS which will be my first Porsche! Very excited but also very apprehensive. As you know, there aren't many around and I have been looking for a few months now so when one pops up that is my perfect spec it is very tempting to grab with both hands! However, it is a private purchase so treading carefully. The car has OPC warranty that runs out early next year. What risk is there for me because clearly the major parts will be covered as I will be renewing the warranty? How long realistically can I expect the clutch to last from new on an 'average' 991CS2? I am not concerned about incidentals such as brakes and tyres but what else should I be considering (apart from the usual car buying issues such as HPI, etc)? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

Congrats mate 991 is a very gd looking car.. I had a look at them too but have settles for a 997 C2 which is also very nice... Happy motoring :bye:

Please check out my pick up video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Buq9_kPJE

I'm sure you know how it feels on the day of the pick up...

blackram said:
Thanks G2.
I am going to see the car in a few days' time. Is there any sense in getting the seller to put the car through the 111pt test at his local OPC? It has OPC warranty until the end of the year but will need a test prior to renewing the warranty. I am worried that I will put it through the text in a week or two only to find that it needs loads doing ! At least if he puts it through the test and I pay him for the test if it passes, then at least I stand a better chance of it passing when I have it done under my ownership (particularly if I have it done by the same OPC)? Make sense?

It does, but my point was ask the seller to extend the warranty as part of the deal. Will they pay for 1 or two years ? The warranty stays with the car as long as it's not cancelled by the current owner. It may be worth more to you than haggling on price alone as its a good test of the car and seller...

Any OPC can be used for the inspection, so one local to the seller makes sense.

Again this is not a replacement for a full inspection, but it's one way of getting someone that knows the cars to look at it before you buy.

Others might know how long the 111 point inspection is valid, to be able to purchase the warranty afterwards, if the seller will not buy the additional years as part of the deal.

I know a few have used this type of approach on private deals..you would basically be agreeing a price subject to a 111 point inspection or a full inspection if you want to go that way.

Good luck with the viewing. Remember not to smile too much as its an obvious buying signal
:grin:

Fingers crossed he'll go for it! I will let you all know.

I am now to be the proud owner of a 991 Carrera S Coupe in Agate Grey. I explained that I wanted the warranty extending for another two years and that if the seller had the 111-pt test done I would pay for the test and the 2yr warranty. The seller, being a really top bloke, said no problem and has booked it in already with his OPC.

I collect the car in a fortnight and I CANNOT WAIT!!!

I could not believe what a beautiful car the 991 is. So perfectly built and so comfortable. Felt very solid on the road. I'll stop there because I am preaching to the very well converted!
When I have the car here I will post photos and spec. plus photos of my garage. 911_AS and I are comparing notes on our garages as we go - he has completed his now and it looks great so I have some catching up to do.
Feels great to know I have the car coming. Shame not to have had it in time for the GB Owners Club track day at Castle Combe on 19th Oct. Watch this space for more car details as and when and again thanks for all the inputs to my various rambling posts. Much appreciated guys. :thumbs:

Cool. Pictures ASAP please.

Re garage. If the sizing is tight, factor in some form of soft surface where the doors open if you can.

I was going to get some upholstery foam rubber and mount it on the wall in the vulnerable areas. Any better suggestions would be welcomed please.

You can buy rolls of guard rubber on eBay that will look much neater. Or something called park smart wall guard that comes in a few colours.

Congrats on the purchase!

The car passed its 111 point test today. Collecting it on Friday morning!! Photos and spec will follow. Perhaps I will get some sleep now :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hobie1
Back