Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

105k Mile C4S at 911Virgin

Thanks Gary and I missed that thread. I would defo buy a car from 911Virgin as they seem such a straight bunch of people. £21k is good value too judging by what a lot of people are asking for C4s'.
Cheers
Rick

Well, it's been very well looked after. There wouldn't be much in it for 911V to pay out for a rebuild it doesn't currently need. It's got a years warranty, and then it's something I could consider. But to be honest, I doubt it needs it yet. I will most likely have the IMS bearing upgraded and a new clutch fitted this time next year though.

wasz said:
Has it had a pre emptive rebuild?!

:grin:

You're a bad man!

Don't worry APL. It's just the latest doom-mongery going around the forums.
It's quite frankly, ridiculous.

Marky911 said:
wasz said:

You're a bad man!

Ridiculous? The second mine went over 100k it burnt down my house, bummed my dog, and ran off with my wife! Ticking time bomb I tell you.

deckster said:
Marky911 said:
wasz said:

You're a bad man!

Ridiculous? The second mine went over 100k it burnt down my house, bummed my dog, and ran off with my wife! Ticking time bomb I tell you.

Just like brakes, suspension etc wear out, so do parts inside the engine - not sure what is so "ridiculous" about it?!

What's ridiculous is the blanket statement "All M96 engines are ready for a rebuild by 100k".
Some may be. Some aren't.

Where do you draw the line with preemptive rebuilds?
Obviously a rebuild is cheaper if you use a working engine as a base rather than driving it to destruction. So shall we say 80k then, so there are even more salvageable parts in it?
To hell with it, let's do it after 30k miles. Loads of useful parts to use then.

My opinion, as I've said is "It's ridiculous" and the people who pedal it are scaremongering. Intentionally or not.

There are many cheaper ways to give you a chance of running a healthy engine for a while longer without rebuilding it for no apparent reason.
Compression and leakdown tests, oil analysis, etc, etc.

But hey I won't be trying to stop anyone who loves wasting money. I'd rather have a holiday and make some memories with loved ones rather than tear down a healthy motor but to each their own.

I don't want to take this thread any further off topic.

deckster said:
Marky911 said:
wasz said:

You're a bad man!

That's what happens when you don't listen to people on the internet. :wink:

My theory is... If it ain't broke.. don't fix it....
If 100k 996 start imploding everywhere.. It may be worth considering.
But as it stands at the moment I would imagine statistically a -40k 996 would be more likely to fail than a 100k 996 :dont know:

Has the guy on here with the 200k+ 996 had 2 preventative rebuilds :?:

Oh blimey. :pc:

There is no one size fits all. It's going to be down to personal preference. From what I can see, some 996's have been poorly looked after and will likely fail. Some have been well looked after and will be less likely to fail. The one I have bought looks like a cherished example, services by OPC and JZM sold by 911 virgin. It is tight as a drum, pulls as hard as it should, sounds fantastic and has no real signs of impending doom. Suspension has been replaced when needed. Rads and condensers done. Every recommendation at service time has been done. It may go bangtomorrow. But so may your heart. :puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back