Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Opinions on LWF

mightyvr6

Trainee
Hi chaps.

I'm in need of a new clutch and my Indy has suggested having a lightweight flywheel conversion. I've read old posts and this mod seems to divide opinions. I was wondering if anyone wishes they had gone ahead or regrets it? Unfortunately I have never experienced one and I need help making my mind up!

Many thanks.

I have the RS clutch and LWF basically since I have owned the car

I seemed to remember the original DMF felt absolutely fine and seemed to suit the refinement of the 993 over my previous 964 which had the RS/LWF set up

However when I bought my 993 the guy selling it said he thought the clutch was a little tired so I changed the set up pretty much straight away

You can read up on the general consensus but I personally like the feel of the LWF, the engine spools up faster and the car feels a little quicker, the down side is that the car "chatters" when idling in neutral and lifting off the throttle under load, one can hear what I would describe as a "meshing" sound, I'm told akin to a race car.

You also have to concentrate a little more on clutch control and even now I occasionally make a hash of pulling away, however the car was my daily driver for many years.

My car is a 96 V/RAM and I have never had any issues with stalling at idle that some say is another issue with the LWF

The best advice I could give is if you can try someone's car who has the LWF set up as it's very much a personal choice, but most people like it

Hope it all goes well, whichever path you choose

Ash

My old 993 (pre-VR) had the RS clutch / LWF - there's some earlier discussion here: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=72145

As and when my current (VR) one needs a clutch, I won't hesitate to go for the RS / LWF again :D

My understanding is that all VR engines are fine with the RS / LWF combo, whereas some (but not all) pre-VR require a slight adaptation in your driving style...

I also run LWF on a non VRAM. Stalling is an occasional and unpredictable problem as is chatter when the oil is hot. The performance improvement is very noticable in the lower ratios. Depends what you want from the car,
peformance or comfort. For town driving in traffic it can be a bit of a pain but on the open road it's not a problem. I would not go back to a DMF but then the car is lightened and stiffened to RS spec so you know what I prefer.
The RS LWF and clutch was a 964 RS fitting and the 993 RS used a DMF.
The stalling can be eased or even cured with a rechip or tweaks to the ISV but as mentioned you can adapt to it. The chatter is only mildly irritating to me but she doesn't like it.

Thanks for the opinions chaps.   My car isn't a daily or track car and I do appreciate some comfort and refinement and think the lwf might compromise it.  Ive always found the car slightly more difficult than usual to balance the revs and pull off smoothly and the lwf might make it worse. I wouldn't fit big wheels and rock hard suspension either for the same reasons and the lwf is maybe a bit too much of a risk. Maybe I've answered my own question...

Another flywheel option would be the lighter weight ZMS dmf as fitted to the 993 gt2 and 996s which weighs 11kg assembled compared with 15-16kg of the standard 993 dmf. Might be a good compromise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back