Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do you store your 911 in a single garage?

jaymzz

Hi All,

I am currently looking to move house and may finally have a driveway/garage to store a weekend toy! I have wanted a 911 since I was a kid so having somewhere secure to store such a car is something we are really taking into consideration. Several of the houses we are looking at only have single garages which in some cases seem very narrow (internal width around 2.5 meters). I would probably be looking to get a 997 Carerra S which I believe is around 1.8 meters wide so physically it will fit but opening the doors and getting out could be an issue. Does anyone have any experience of storing their 911 in a single garage? What would you say is the minimum internal garage width required?

Cheers,
James

My garage is single width but triple length. It works fine. The only issue I have is to get the car at the back out I have to move the other two. I have a ramp in the rear section which I use regularly to work on the car. Width is an issue and I would prefer it to be wider but nothing I can do about it! Getting in and out of the car is fine but I am fairly agile! Would suggest carpet or something on the wall where the door open so you do not have to worry about damaging it.

Couple of images I have on my phone and will measure the width for you over the next day or so. My pork is a 996 turbo.

IMG_5761 by Tom Brooks, on Flickr

IMG_8691 by Tom Brooks, on Flickr

IMG_5822 by Tom Brooks, on Flickr

Mine is 2.6m wide, loads of room if you park towards the left. The door actually opens to the second rest point. Just make sure the garage doesn't have pillars on the side otherwise I'd imagine that would be a tight squeeze.

When I bought my current place, the garage was so narrow that I had to push the car in by hand with the window down.
It lived on the drive after that until I had the new double garage built.

Thanks for the responses so far. Very helpful.

@911tom - I have garage envy now. That looks like an amazing setup!

I'm a single garage user and although it's difficult to park, I have to park off centre and get in and out the passenger side, it's worth the gymnastics involved. I've padded the side wall the car door opens onto to protect it.

Attachments

• img_0902_460.jpg
    img_0902_460.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 11,209
Mine lives outside while the bikes, go carts, scooters , live in the garage :eek: :x but have the builders here knocking up an outhouse so the kids stuff can go in there and i might finally get to put the car away , bit of a pain having to keep getting it out as I drive it most days. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Mine lives outside while the bikes, go carts, scooters , live in the garage :eek: :x but have the builders here knocking up an outhouse so the kids stuff can go in there and i might finally get to put the car away , bit of a pain having to keep getting it out as I drive it most days. :thumb:

Electric door is the answer to that. Save time scraping ice in the winter so should be easier.

I have a couple of single lock ups and the difference between 2.3m and 2.5m is amazing 2.3 is too tight but 2.5 is great I would suggest trying any potential purchase with your car though before buying

Winny

996T in a single Garage (266cm wide)
Bit of a squeeze and sometimes a juggle to park in properly but it's all I need :grin:

Ok if the garage is completely empty.

Attachments

• wp_20160528_004_127.jpg
    wp_20160528_004_127.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11,131
Mine is 8' wide (so 2.44m) wide.

Driving in is fine, park tight to left and then slight squeeze to get out the drivers door; but ok.

:thumb:

Urban Ranger said:
I'm a single garage user and although it's difficult to park, I have to park off centre and get in and out the passenger side, it's worth the gymnastics involved. I've padded the side wall the car door opens onto to protect it.

Why not reverse into the garage and get out on the drivers side?

If it's only for the Porker then a modern single width should be ok, but with tool cabinets and bench etc and plenty of coming and going I found a single width garage too narrow and having dinged the wing of the C4S with a jack handle, I was taking no chances with the GTS! Then I decided to knock it all down and build a 4 car garage for a bit more space (but still not enough!)

Attachments

• img_1797_165.jpg
    img_1797_165.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11,020
  • img_5684_183.jpg
    img_5684_183.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11,020

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member