Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel Spacers -------------

-- 997 --

I know, I know this has been done to death but from reading all different views from members I'm still contemplating what size front and rear spacers I should get or even what is the best to go for, I have a C2s.. any recommendations to finalise it???

Also any links to the spacers with bolts?

Cheers

J

Is it true that gravel rash is more prevelant down the side of the car when kicking the wheels out with spacers - this would be enough for me to leave alone.

Put 15mm all round and made a world of difference to the looks and improved handling. Be sure to have tracking/geometry checked and adjusted to compensate for it. Hand mine done at the local Indie and saved a lot of hastle!!

J if your running regular wheels eg 235 and 295 then my only suggestion and it is personal preference but to minimise gravel rash on the sides try 7mm front and 15mm rear its a decent compromise . :thumb:

235 front ant 305 rear sport design wheels- 5mm all round is as far as you can go without going outside the arches and risking MOT

Just be careful and dont get aftermarket long bolts with locking nuts from design 911, mine sheared off the locking key and cost me a lot of hassle/money to sort out

With OE wheels and tyres you can go 15mm all round with ease.

Standard or lowered suspension is important though with Spacers, if its dropped, it will look spot on, if its not it can give the illusion that the wheels stick out further than the arches, this is due to natural curve of the wheel as the suspension travel is decreased.... as demonstrated here....

Normal 911 Ride height.....

Lowered.....

Boba fett said:
With OE wheels and tyres you can go 15mm all round with ease.

Standard or lowered suspension is important though with Spacers, if its dropped, it will look spot on, if its not it can give the illusion that the wheels stick out further than the arches, this is due to natural curve of the wheel as the suspension travel is decreased.... as demonstrated here....

Normal 911 Ride height.....

Lowered.....

:thumb: :thumb:

very true and a good point to make Boba :thumb:

Just bought a full set of spacers off of 'fleabay' 7 mm front and 15 mm rear all bolts and 4 locking bolts for £130 delivered.
Will fit them and do before and after pics so that you can see a standard 997 without lowering, which by the way I've been told to avoid doing.

easternjets said:
Just bought a full set of spacers off of 'fleabay' 7 mm front and 15 mm rear all bolts and 4 locking bolts for £130 delivered.
Will fit them and do before and after pics so that you can see a standard 997 without lowering, which by the way I've been told to avoid doing.

Nick What reasons have you been given for not lowering other than a bit of plastic trim scraping over bumps mate . :thumb:

Well this is my 997.1 C2S with 9mm front And 12mm rear spacers before I lowered it slightly. Think it's definitely worth doing. Can't comment on the road rash but I don't expect 9mm to make that much difference.

I'd say go for it.

Attachments

• ac421cf5_1967_40fd_b082_bc3fc2adab48_766.jpg
    ac421cf5_1967_40fd_b082_bc3fc2adab48_766.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 6,147
I couldn't go 15mm all round when I tried it, even though my car has the sports chassis pack and therefore is 20mm lower from the factory. But I do think it was due to the rim saver profile on the Bridgestone Potenzas. They just looked wrong - perhaps another 5mm lower would have made the difference

So I ended up going 6 and 14 as I wanted the spacers to have spigots. But essentially thats 7 and 15mm.

Not sure why you'd have been told not to lower - because it stiffens the ride perhaps? Only other reason I can think of, but not one that would bother me.

CarreraMonkey said:
I couldn't go 15mm all round when I tried it, even though my car has the sports chassis pack and therefore is 20mm lower from the factory. But I do think it was due to the rim saver profile on the Bridgestone Potenzas. They just looked wrong - perhaps another 5mm lower would have made the difference

So I ended up going 6 and 14 as I wanted the spacers to have spigots. But essentially thats 7 and 15mm.

Not sure why you'd have been told not to lower - because it stiffens the ride perhaps? Only other reason I can think of, but not one that would bother me.

When I lowered mine and had a GT2 Geometry done, it transformed the car, much sharper, compliant and far less wayward without ruining the ride.

J, Porscheshop seem to have a decent range of sizes and actually carry some different to norm widths . make sure the ones you buy are hubcentric (they have the spigot on to extend so the alloy can sit on it) anything over 5mm needs it or you could get wheel wobble as the bolts would be carrying all the weight . :thumb:

Phil, obviously I've never had any of my cars lowered but I had a list of things to do and lowering was one of them.
To me lowering is purely an aesthetic exercise and cars that have been lowered do look stunning if done properly. Unfortunately I live in an area where my current standard set up seems to be catching the road and driveways to often so lowering by 20 mm is just going to make it 10 x worse, so for now, purely on practical grounds I'm leaving my car std except for the spacers which hopefully will be delivered today.

easternjets said:
Phil, obviously I've never had any of my cars lowered but I had a list of things to do and lowering was one of them.
To me lowering is purely an aesthetic exercise and cars that have been lowered do look stunning if done properly. Unfortunately I live in an area where my current standard set up seems to be catching the road and driveways to often so lowering by 20 mm is just going to make it 10 x worse, so for now, purely on practical grounds I'm leaving my car std except for the spacers which hopefully will be delivered today.

Aha Nick the great British road network is at fault ,that does make more sense now. yes theres no denying a lower car will catch the plastic under trim more regularly dependant on just how bad the roads are in your neck of the woods. but in all honesty the three plastic trim lips under the car that are usually what scrapes are only a few quid each to replace and that only when they get really tatty . its rarely your actual bumper or even the plastic undertray thats scraping 99% of the time its the three plastic flaps under the front :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back