Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Classic Navigation and underseat sub

tyinsky

After having an alert set up on eBay for a year, I've finally bagged a first generation Porsche Classic Navigation. Woohoo.

Obviously, many hate these, think they stick out too far from the dash, have too small a screen, and Porsche navigation in their new cars is tragic – as I know from the experience of being put up a single track lane on the side of a mountain in the French Alpes and having to do a multiple point turn looking at the tops of trees from the drop off the edge. In the dark. With snow.

However, I like the look of it and I only want to take calls and stream Spotify. Google maps for navigation when I need it.

So, has anyone fitted one themselves? And is anyone using one with an underseat active sub? I am looking to put either a Rainbow unit in there to match the main speakers, or a Focal iBus which seems to have decent reviews.

Help please before a moderator moves this to another section where I will never find it again :grin:

tyinsky said:
I've finally bagged a first generation Porsche Classic Navigation. Woohoo.

Congrats - that looks to be a bargain :thumbs:

Great memory! Thanks Pinot - useful thread. I'll probably route that GPS under the trim between the rear speakers.

Mohitos – I thought so too, especially if I sell the original Porsche Becker head unit that is in the car. :thumbs:

I've got one of those reduced size Pioneer under-seat subs on the way to install with the classic navigation. Searching on here it seems a few people have them and they fit well (didn't want to risk the extra size of the Focal iBus or Rainbow Intelli).

Does anyone remember a fitting guide?

I don't have a fitting guide, but this photo from my car should give you some clues. You'll need to stack a couple of the control units currently under the seat. If you have an original amp under the seat there may not be space for it.

Did you manage to confirm that the Classic HU has a sub out in it?

Attachments

• 7f3cdc9d_7c66_4433_89c3_73d3d139bb03_203.jpeg
    7f3cdc9d_7c66_4433_89c3_73d3d139bb03_203.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 4,610
Thanks Mohitos, useful to know I need to move some of the boxes. That picture of yours was what convinced me to go with the Pioneer unit - the Focal and Rainbow units are a fair bit bigger and what you have there looks snug. I have a Kenwood one of similar dimensions under the seat in a 500 Abarth so hopefully this unit will be as good or as or better.

Sub should work with it. From the specs:

Porsche Classic radio navigation system incl Handsfree Blue tooth
The new Porsche Classic radio & navigation system with 3.5-inch TFT LCD touchscreen is a technical masterpiece. Thanks to its vintage design references, it will complement the interior of any classic Porsche vehicle (not available for the 356 models). The system represents state-of-the-art technology, featuring two SD card slots, a Bluetooth® handsfree kit & a combined DVD/CD player. Slimline radio navigation system has a resolution of 480 x 234 pixels. A USB port means you can playback from other media sources & 2 video outputs & 3 AV inputs, one of which is on the front. A remote control & subwoofer output complete the package. Not for 6v 356 Models

- Bluetooth® handsfree kit incl. microphone
- GPS Antenna included
- Samsung 400 MHz CPU & SiRF III GPS receiver
- 64 MB SDRAM & 64 MB flash ROM
- 3.5-inch TFT LCD touchscreen (16:9)
- 480 x 234 pixel resolution & 300:1 contrast
- 2 x SD card slot
- 1 x USB connection for media playback
- 2 x video out
- AV1 & AV2 (video in reversing camera etc )
- Remote control & Subwoofer output & Aux in
- 4 x 45-W amplifier (max.)
- RDS & Automatic station search
- DVD/CD/MP3 & DVD/CD player
- MP3 ID3 display
- Four-band EQ (Classic , Pop, Rock, Flat)
- Navigation software & NAVTEQ map package

:thumbs:

Sorry, been away a few days. Here's my under-seat sub, for comparison. Almost identical set-up to Mohito.

Attachments

• under_seat_sub__copy_177.jpg
    under_seat_sub__copy_177.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 4,475
No, mine is under the driver seat. Added advantage, turn up the bass for an in-seat massage! :rocker:

I had the v1 porsche classic nav in my 993 when I bought it. I do like the look of it. As you say the sat nav is a bit clunky, but fine for longer trips across Europe where you don't want to look like a mincab, with a separate nav and wires across the dash or screen.
Are you replacing the speakers as well as adding a sub?
the power output of the PCN is pretty weedy. In the end, I went with new speakers and a 500w amp, but no sub.
This is partially because auto audio swore blind that a sub wouldn't go under the seat (not true as we see above), but also i find not having the modern booming bass, but having the possibility of ear splitting volume more 'period' :)

Tobesetc said:
No, mine is under the driver seat. Added advantage, turn up the bass for an in-seat massage! :rocker:

I'm a little too vanilla for having my sphincter teased. Passenger can enjoy it instead. :?

jhrfc said:
I had the v1 porsche classic nav in my 993 when I bought it. I do like the look of it. As you say the sat nav is a bit clunky, but fine for longer trips across Europe where you don't want to look like a mincab, with a separate nav and wires across the dash or screen.
Are you replacing the speakers as well as adding a sub?
the power output of the PCN is pretty weedy. In the end, I went with new speakers and a 500w amp, but no sub.
This is partially because auto audio swore blind that a sub wouldn't go under the seat (not true as we see above), but also i find not having the modern booming bass, but having the possibility of ear splitting volume more 'period' :)

I can relate to the period thing. That's exactly how I think of it now. :grin:

Speakers were replaced last year with Rainbow Audio ones that fit the existing holes and grills front and rear. Would be hard not to hear the improvement given the original Nokia units were both pretty lightweight and their paper cones falling apart.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back