Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Noise from rear of car

Drew1209

Spa-Francorchamps
Every now and then I tune into a noise from the rear of the car, now I'm not sure if this is possibly road noise or wheel bearing, gearbox as I say it could well be the norm.

I notice it more around 30/40mph, if I dip the clutch the noise is there same as if I knock it out of gear, my best description for the noise is like a worn wheel bearing.

The car was just MOT'd last week and no one picked anything up at all.

The car is 4 wheel drive if that makes any odds.

An MOT tester may only identify a wheel bearing which is badly worn. They spin the wheels and check for play but there is no road test.

It could be that..

Or something else :?:

Did you notice it before it went in for MOT?

Have you checked your brakes aren't binding?

Are your tyres Pirelli by any chance... I had a similar issue with mine... I swapped brands the noise disappeared :dont know:

The tyres are Falken but that's a good shout.

I've always picked up on the noise when I tune in to it, it's not an over powering sound where you think I shouldn't be driving this.

Regarding the brakes, what's the easiest way to check this on a 4wd.

Wheel bearing noise usually changes on cornering due to bearing loading, if you pick a long corner, does the noise seem higher in one direction than the other?

Drew1209 said:
The tyres are Falken but that's a good shout.

I've always picked up on the noise when I tune in to it, it's not an over powering sound where you think I shouldn't be driving this.

Regarding the brakes, what's the easiest way to check this on a 4wd.

Hi mate.

If you have any brake binding it would cause the disc to become hotter than normal. As a quick check you can just feel with your hand to see if you have an issue there by comparing with the other side. Brake binding or disc warp would be worse/more apparent during driving.

Or jack your car up, spin the wheels and listen.

The assumption would be that the MOT tester would pick up on any bearing/brake issues but it depends how apparent they may be at the time of the test. For example, if your car came onto the ramp after being sat a while outside ie. not driven.

Sounds like tyres could be a reason as previous post mentions. Tyre tread patterns can affect noise levels at different speeds an extreme example would be off-road style tyres on a 4wd - very noisy on the road and can cause vibration.

I get this sort of a noise but only on certain road surfaces. It always happens on the same place on a few particular roads so I put it down to the tyres combined with that surface creating a different noise. Mine is 4wd on Pirellis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back