Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel arches starting to rust

Guys

I noticed this weekend that my wheel arches have started to rust, ie bubbling under the paintwork. A simple rub with Polish took the paint away and I dabbed each spot with rust inhibitor. I am taking it to a few places this morning for a quote to sort it out.

My question is, what should I expect to hear? Full wing respray, or is it a job that someone like chips-away could do?

Cheers all

Chris

Full wing respray. That's the easy bit though. Getting the metalwork back is where the work will be. Chips aren't rust.

Hi Chris.

Is yours silver?

They should blend into the doors as well otherwise you will end up with an obvious difference in paint tone.

Very common this. I had mine done by Riviera down near Reading - they do a lot of these and see them all the time; certainly sounded like they knew what they were talking about in any case. They stripped the arches right back, applied a load of gunky sealant and then blended the paintwork in as above. Looks like new now and should last pretty much forever.

Either way, it's a much bigger job than just touching it up.

It's common usually the rear arches that go first on the 996 and one to keep an eye on, the water gets under the underseal at the sharp lip of the arch and it lifts.
I re-painted mine a couple of years ago and made sure that I used good underseal again before just painting as it won't last long with just paint on it.

C4-STORM said:
Hi Chris.

Is yours silver?

They should blend into the doors as well otherwise you will end up with an obvious difference in paint tone.

Hi, no mine is ocean blue.

Thanks for all the advice, I now know to look for someone to just do the arches and blend in.

We have a classic car guy locally, who resprayed my friends 996 and did a great job at a good price, so he's my first port of call.

yep common on the front arch, check the sills too, and do inside the rear arch lip too as said if its not too late already

i'd get it blended if you drive your car, you'l be doing it again in a couple of years

popop on here has a high miles silver car, he just brushes on por15 every once in a while

mine are crusty, I picked up some mint completely rust free wings for my car, waiting to get painted and go on.

I believe some guys put a paint-protection film on the area as well, to protect from road rash kicking it off again.

Just to worry people... if mud gets thrown up behind the wheel arch protector (big black plastic wheel well bit) and the bodywork.... and accumulates, it will block the drain down and out through the back of the bottom sill at the front of the rear arch... when water gets thrown up behind the arch protector the accumulated mud gets wet and now stays wet.... at which point galvanised bodywork will only last so long as the mud keeps the water in contact with the metalwork...

I recently removed the offside rear wheel well protector in order to fit GT3 style brake ducts - cue great big shower of dirt, followed by discovering the bottom corner of that sill, beneath the "other" bit of plastic (lower aero spat on a 996.1) is like a colander... I was on top of this re. the nearside having had metal cut out and welded back in on that side in order to address the arch that went first
- I remember checking the offside at the time and all appeared fine... that only took a couple of years to change with the "mud poultice" scenario

For my rear arch respray the bodyshop resprayed all the way to the front edge of the door (front fenders and bonnet had all been resprayed a couple of years previously)

i.e. With various partial resprays (even considerable ones) a 20 year+ car will eventually benefit from a full respray or those in the know will start to refer to your beloved shiney car as a "patchwork quilt" : '

luckily my car is black(!)
- a friend didnt appreciate my pointing out that his red alfa was in fact 3 shades of pink, 4 of red and at least 1 "brown".....

Just had my 997 done not pretty rotten as a pear once opened up top job by local paint shop rear arch rebuilt and small dents sorted and drivers door damage taken care off all for £700 and a fair colour match 8)

What's a ballpark for front wing repaint? Thinking a decent 2nd hand (correct colour if possible) would be cheaper @ roughly £100.

I just did the wing swap on the missus Seat Ibiza as it failed its MOT on a sharp edge on the front wing due to some rust on the lip. I managed to find a perfect condition and colour match wing for £40 (no Porsche tax) and it took me an hour to swap them over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back