Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sunroof delete - C4S

C4-STORM

Hockenheim
Hi All.

Was the sunroof a standard item on the 4S and therefore non-sunroof models are a specified factory delete option?

Still waiting for my COA from PCGB.

Yes. I love having the choice of sunroof or aircon, and often both at the same time. Apart from being tall, I cannot understand why anyone would delete it at point of order. I did come from 2 rag tops prior to the 996 so may have been an influence. :grin:

As I understand it, they were a no-cost option. I wish my car didn't have one, it adds a whole bunch of weight right where I don't want it. One of these days I'll be investing in a carbon roof a la CLR.

Interesting replies.

I also can't think why anyone would request no sunroof at point of order however I do love the clean lines without.

Didn't think about the weight consideration either.

Are the sunroofs/seals/motors etc. generally trouble-free?

Thanks guys.

I am in the sunroof is just a useless added weight in the wrong place group both my 997s have had sunroof delete which was great you have ac you have windows why would you want a rattley old heavy lump on the roof of a sports car. when I see Gt3s with sunroof I will know all is lost in the world lol. :thumb:

Fair play :thumb:

Mine's without and I quite like it that way..

C4-STORM said:

Was the sunroof a standard item on the 4S and therefore non-sunroof models are a specified factory delete option?

Still waiting for my COA from PCGB.

It is confusing and I'm not sure that the CoA will answer your question.

I've just looked at my records for my 2002 C4 (non S).

My car had a tilt/slide electric sunroof.

According to a VIN decoder it had Option M350 which is an electric sunroof.

BUT no option number for any sort of sunroof was listed on my build sticker.

HOWEVER My CoA is showing 'Sun Roof' under optional equipment fitted.

My conclusion which is purely a guess = 'Sun Roof Delete' was the option.

Hey Terry.

Thanks for that.

I was just curious as most seem to have S/R and I have seen some advertised as 'Sunroof Delete' like that is a selling point.

Seems less around without than with.

How can I check my build spec by using the VIN?

Brett.

C4-STORM said:
How can I check my build spec by using the VIN?

I don't know now. The free on-line decoders that were around several years ago don't seem to work nowadays.

iirc there is someone on the forum that has access to such info so it might be worth starting a new thread asking the question.

:thumb:

I understood that the S/R was standard on the C4S

So yes the option was to delete.

Don't think many did though, I had a C4S for 10 years - it had the S/R.

Had a few issues over the years.
1st rattles - there was a Porsche tech. bullitn on how to resolve so it must have been a common issue.
2nd keep the drains clear else you'll end up with damp carpets behind passenger seat.
3rd Micro switches failed causing it to bounce on closing.

If I was ever spec.ing from new I'd tick the S/R delete :)

vlad said:
I understood that the S/R was standard on the C4S

So yes the option was to delete.

Don't think many did though, I had a C4S for 10 years - it had the S/R.

Had a few issues over the years.
1st rattles - there was a Porsche tech. bullitn on how to resolve so it must have been a common issue.
2nd keep the drains clear else you'll end up with damp carpets behind passenger seat.
3rd Micro switches failed causing it to bounce on closing.

If I was ever spec.ing from new I'd tick the S/R delete :)

That's interesting to hear. I wasn't too fussed either way but perhaps it's just as well I don't have one, would have liked PSE tho but again I have heard that it's costly to replace.

I was hoping the COA would list all specified options including this :?:

On my '03 C2 Coupé the option code for sunroof delete is:

'652 V W/O SLIDE/TILT ROOF'

FWIW, I think the sunroof delete makes sense on a coupé, seems to suit the ethic of a drivers car more IMHO.

Not sure on the 996 but I've had a sunroof cassette/mechanism etc out of another (German) car before and they're surprisingly heavy - significant amount of weight high up in the car that rarely gets used.

For open top/airy motoring there's the targa or cabriolet? :thumb:

Agreed - just as well I suppose :lol:

I love my sunroof and drive with it open all the time except when it's raining as it lets in so much light and the sound from the sports exhaust and induction kit :thumb:

In he winter it's great with the heater on and sunroof open plus you don't get blown to bits like you do in a cabrio.

By the way they were standard on the 4s and delete was the option

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back