Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 12
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

9005rm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: 997.2 GT3 essentials Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm still on the hunt for a 997.2 GT3 and wanted to ask your views on desirable and not desirable spec. I think I need a club sport car, or at least a comfort car with buckets, front lift and engine mounts. The other spec items seem more nice to have than essential, but I'd welcome your views.

Also, colour. I'm not a fan of white and also think the blue Hexagon car looks a bit sombre, but again views welcome.

On pricing these seem to keep going up, but apart from. Apart from a Brexit economy crash I'm hoping this is a safer place for my money than a new carerra!

Cheers!

kas750
Paul Ricard

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clubsport and without lift unless you have a warranty as it is notoriously unreliable.

9005rm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kas750 wrote:
Clubsport and without lift unless you have a warranty as it is notoriously unreliable.

That's interesting as the other feedback is that no lift is bad news! I'll need it anyway as I have a sloping drive, but would have warranty.

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9005rm wrote:
kas750 wrote:

That's interesting as the other feedback is that no lift is bad news! I'll need it anyway as I have a sloping drive, but would have warranty.

I've never wished that I had lift. You will occasionally hear the plastic splitter or brake ducts grounding, but by Porsche standards those are not spendy items to swap out so it really is a non issue. Yes the ramp transition angle is fairly shallow, but it isn't as bad as something like a 996.1 GT3 (unless of course you have the ride height dropped). The concern with lift is that at one point a couple of years ago, 100% of people that I'd met who had a well tracked 997.2 GT3 or RS fitted with the lift system had had issues with them - the kind of issues that would turn your hair white if not covered by a warranty. People who used them mostly or entirely as road cars seem to have had few issues, so on a lightly used comfort there might not be as many grounds for concern.

The important bit is that you really do want bucket seats. Ideally a Clubsport, but failing that a comfort with buckets. You also do not want a car with the air conditioning deleted (admittedly there aren't many of those out there, but bear it in mind). For a car that can pick up a lot of speed almost imperceptibly in a country with a lot of motorway speed cameras I am also a fan of cruise control and I also favour the PCM console too (the nav itself is a bit out of date, but the iPod/Phone/USB integration and the handsfree phone is a bit useful). The engine mounts - never missed those either and it is something else to one day go wrong as far as I am concerned.

Mileage affects value, so spend more on low miles if it is going to sit in your garage and a little less on high miles if you are actually going to use it. No sense in buying a garage queen and driving all of the value out of it - they are robust cars and thoroughly rebuildable, so looked after they can be refreshed to as new for a chunk of cash in perpetuity.

So long as you get the right example for you : there is no regret in buying any GT3 (though if I am honest, to my mind the factory warranty would be an absolute must if you were looking at the 991. Less so with the earlier cars. Unless they have lift).

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten

9005rm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:
9005rm wrote:
kas750 wrote:

I've never wished that I had lift. You will occasionally hear the plastic splitter or brake ducts grounding, but by Porsche standards those are not spendy items to swap out so it really is a non issue. Yes the ramp transition angle is fairly shallow, but it isn't as bad as something like a 996.1 GT3 (unless of course you have the ride height dropped). The concern with lift is that at one point a couple of years ago, 100% of peopleh that I'd met who had a well tracked 997.2 GT3 or RS fitted with the lift system had had issues with them - the kind of issues that would turn your hair white if not covered by a warranty. People who used them mostly or entirely as road cars seem to have had few issues, so on a lightly used comfort there might not be as many grounds for concern.

The important bit is that you really do want bucket seats. Ideally a Clubsport, but failing that a comfort with buckets. You also do not want a car with the air conditioning deleted (admittedly there aren't many of those out there, but bear it in mind). For a car that can pick up a lot of speed almost imperceptibly in a country with a lot of motorway speed cameras I am also a fan of cruise control and I also favour the PCM console too (the nav itself is a bit out of date, but the iPod/Phone/USB integration and the handsfree phone is a bit useful). The engine mounts - never missed those either and it is something else to one day go wrong as far as I am concerned.

Mileage affects value, so spend more on low miles if it is going to sit in your garage and a little less on high miles if you are actually going to use it. No sense in buying a garage queen and driving all of the value out of it - they are robust cars and thoroughly rebuildable, so looked after they can be refreshed to as new for a chunk of cash in perpetuity.

So long as you get the right example for you : there is no regret in buying any GT3 (though if I am honest, to my mind the factory warranty would be an absolute must if you were looking at the 991. Less so with the earlier cars. Unless they have lift).

Good advice, thank you Colin. I'd only consider a car with lift and a warranty so all ok there. I think I'll be ok with the buckets, though given how important they seem to be, I'm amazed at how many cars (including 991s) don't seem to have them. Depends on body shape I guess, though for me I felt they added to the drama and experience. I might get my in touch with 911v and go and have a look at their car - looks nice, albeit up on miles.

m119cars
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your already searching from a relatively small pool of vehicles so there may have to be a compromise on some things.

Rightly or wrongly I was in the market for one 8 months ago as a place to park some money, with a few fun drives out on warm sunny mornings with the hope of modest return if I decided to sell in a few years. What I realised early on in my search was the non clubsport cars hang around a lot longer and most clubsports sell very quickly regardless of the other spec.

My criteria was a low mile, original panel clubsport car with correct history, I wasn't to concerned by low owners as most seem to have had at least 3/4, as I won't be tracking it PCCB and the active mounts didn't bother me but I did want the sound package and the USB interface.

What do you intend to use the car for?

Cheib
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the market is quite as frothy for these as it was at the beginning of the year...I remember JZM commenting on that in their monthly "market report".

I've read somewhere lift if it goes wrong is a £10k bill.

Comfort with buckets is a rare spec....if everything else is right and you don't want the CS I'd consider buying a comfort and putting buckets in. They are not cheap but there's definitely a pricing differential or you could keep the original seats and put them back in when you come to sell. I reckon you'd get more than 50% of your money back on the buckets two or three years down the line.

Diggermeister
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about this; buckets are not cheap if you want the (very nice and IMHO extremely comfortable) folding carbon buckets with integral side air bags; around 7k EUR for a pair.

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggermeister wrote:
I'm thinking about this; buckets are not cheap if you want the (very nice and IMHO extremely comfortable) folding carbon buckets with integral side air bags; around 7k EUR for a pair.

Teile.com are generally the place to go if you are not trying to beat a discount out of your OPC and they have the 997 version of the folding buckets at €4.581,56 per chair (so actually over €9k plus installation for a pair, potentially minus what you can eBay the other chairs for). In general it is consequently still usually cheaper to get a car with them rather than retrofit.

Folding buckets in a gen 2 non-Clubsport are much more common than buckets in the gen 1 equivalent (they were a straightforward option in the gen 2, but the fixed buckets in the gen 1 {the folding ones didn't exist at the time} were an extra £4k so almost never got specified unless the buyer was going for Clubsport). In my experience, folding buckets in a non-CS gen 2 are still more common than actual Clubsports, hence the point.

9005rm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of seats, is there much of a difference between the folding buckets and the fixed GT buckets? I read somewhere that the latter are narrower, and whether that is a good thing or not I guess depends on your size.

Nice one owner car just popped up at JZM - http://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U1314/

Not too sure about the colour though.

FZP
Suzuka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a guards red/mexico/blue/speed yellow GT. They can support the brighter colours.
RS cars seem to be devoid of the bright colour regime.

MJA911
Indianapolis

2006 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, interesting comparison between the 911v and JZM cars, both look fantastic to me, main difference seems to be 15k miles and £19k

Diggermeister
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9005rm wrote:
On the subject of seats, is there much of a difference between the folding buckets and the fixed GT buckets? I read somewhere that the latter are narrower, and whether that is a good thing or not I guess depends on your size.

Nice one owner car just popped up at JZM - http://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U1314/

Not 100% about the seats, but I'm pretty sure the 997.2 folding buckets are exactly the same as those used in the 991 GT3 (and RS) and are very comfortable. From memory (it was a while ago and only a brief lap of the Nurburgring) the 997.1 fixed buckets are perhaps a bit slimmer in fit.

See below on the colour!

MJA911 wrote:
Wow, interesting comparison between the 911v and JZM cars, both look fantastic to me, main difference seems to be 15k miles and £19k
Stunning colour Atlas grey, it really does suit these cars IMHO.[/i]

MJA911
Indianapolis

2006 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the 911v car during the process of buying my GT3 from them, stunning looking car and the wheels are georgous, certainly ticked all my boxes, apart from being £25k over budget Wink

Diggermeister
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJA911 wrote:
Saw the 911v car during the process of buying my GT3 from them, stunning looking car and the wheels are georgous, certainly ticked all my boxes, apart from being £25k over budget Wink
Pretty much exactly where I stand on it. Might even be more than £25k adrift of mine! Dont know

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9005rm wrote:

The fixed ones are actually quite a bit narrower. Not simply across the hips either but also across the shoulders, so quite a few people don't get on with them too well. If you have a small frame then you will be okay but if not then you should try a set for size as they could well be an exclusion criteria. The folding ones, however, are much closer in fit to the 996 buckets and are a comfortable fit for most people - ever the fairly powerfully built.

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9005rm wrote:

Atlas is a great colour in the metal. Best known around here as the colour of a certain 996 Clubsport bearing the legendary plate NXI20 Thumb

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggermeister wrote:
... I'm pretty sure the 997.2 folding buckets are exactly the same as those used in the 991 GT3 (and RS) and are very comfortable.

The 991 folding buckets look the same and fit the same as the 997.2 ones (so from a comfort perspective I agree), however they do have different part numbers and the 991 version is for reasons unknown cheaper. The only material difference that I am aware of is that the 991 version could be optioned with seat heating and the 997 could not. I couldn't tell you if the differences would prevent you from using the 991 in a 997 or vice versa though.

NXI20
Approved Trader

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:
9005rm wrote:

Atlas is a great colour in the metal. Best known around here as the colour of a certain 996 Clubsport bearing the legendary plate NXI20 Thumb

Floor

Atlas is one of those colours that is properly "stealth". I fly under the radar very well in mine. Looks great in the sun & pretty dull at all other times.

As I also own a 997.2 Clubsport with the super-rare Carrera GT carbon shell fixed buckets (reputedly the lightest seats Porsche ever fitted to a production road car), I can confirm that they are less accommodating of the larger gentlemen and are pretty tight in the shoulder department. I fit just fine (& they are really great seats if you) do but I suspect that anyone even slightly larger would struggle to get comfortable.

I don't have lift & like Disco, have never felt disadvantaged. Once you learn the techniques to get around the limitations, it's really never an issue.

2004 GT3 CS in Atlas Grey with too many mods to list!
1995 993 GT2 recreation in Polar Silver
2010 GT3 CS in Riviera Blue Smile
1978 Carrera SC Barn Find in Red (restoration project)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: