Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service Interval Query

Chigster

Monza
I always thought that the 996 was on a yearly service interval.
However, when I called up OPC West London to book my car in for its annual service, they came back to say that as it was serviced last year (which was a Minor) it only needed its MOT done this year.

Is that correct? Should I insist on it getting serviced nonetheless? Or just book it into an Indie to the major? It has a full OPC service history from new and I am loathe to break that provenance.

Thanks chaps!

C

Why don't you just get them to do an oil filter service alongside the MOT?

They may well be right but get the oil changed!

Makes sense whilst it's on the ramp :thumb:

After 2003 they changed to 2-year service intervals. You don't mention your car's year or mileage since last year's minor.

If its less than 9k miles since last year's minor, Porsche recommend this years Major can be substituted with an 'Annual Inspection' - no fluids are changed.
The service book will be stamped as this inspection. You can forego it as irs having an MOT but it will not be to the Porsche schedule in this case if its on annual service intervals.

You could consider an Annual Inspection with oil and filter change. If its on 2-year intervals, you could pay for an oil and filter change which will not be much short of a fixed price minor service.

Its an October 2003 MY.

Mileage since last service is around 2K. Mainly short distances.

Have been quoted £550 incl by OPC West London for an Oil and Filter Change which seems a bit steep.

Also, since car is on 142K miles should I be thinking about a Gearbox Oil change too? Its a Tip.

I'd find another OPC that offers fixed price servicing - Brooklands?
Ask for a Annual Inspection with oil & filter change and compare to a fixed price Minor Service. Then decide.

To be honest at 2k miles its going to be fine without an oil change - it still meets Porsche schedule and Mobil 1 is fine at that duration and mileage. Its not going to make the slightest difference on bore score risk etc. You can cut that risk by starting in 1st gear with a tiptronic box.

At that mileage its definitely worth having the Tiptronic box oil changed.
I have the Merc E Class and believe in the model year you have, its a MB box.
This used to be a once-in-lifetime oil change at 45k miles. But I had mine done again at 100k miles. Noticeable difference. Its not easy - two-step drain and fill process, sump off, new gasket and clean filter. MB forum stipulates only use MB auto transmission fluid as people have screwed up using after-market transmission fluid. I had it done by MB main dealer around £350 inc VAT.

No idea what OPC charge but will be similar - its around 1.5hrs labour and the fluid isn't cheap and the cost of new sump gasket. The filling has to be finally topped up hot and double checked before handing the car back to the owner.
A shortfall can damage the box as there isn't that much fluid in a tip box that you'd think.

cheshire911 said:
I'd find another OPC that offers fixed price servicing - Brooklands?
Ask for a Annual Inspection with oil & filter change and compare to a fixed price Minor Service. Then decide.

To be honest at 2k miles its going to be fine without an oil change - it still meets Porsche schedule and Mobil 1 is fine at that duration and mileage. Its not going to make the slightest difference on bore score risk etc. You can cut that risk by starting in 1st gear with a tiptronic box.

At that mileage its definitely worth having the Tiptronic box oil changed.
I have the Merc E Class and believe in the model year you have, its a MB box.
This used to be a once-in-lifetime oil change at 45k miles. But I had mine done again at 100k miles. Noticeable difference. Its not easy - two-step drain and fill process, sump off, new gasket and clean filter. MB forum stipulates only use MB auto transmission fluid as people have screwed up using after-market transmission fluid. I had it done by MB main dealer around £350 inc VAT.

No idea what OPC charge but will be similar - its around 1.5hrs labour and the fluid isn't cheap and the cost of new sump gasket. The filling has to be finally topped up hot and double checked before handing the car back to the owner.
A shortfall can damage the box as there isn't that much fluid in a tip box that you'd think.

That's useful to know :thumb:

Get it done every year or 12k miles, whichever soonest......and if some **** at an OPC tells you otherwise, ask them how this wil affect resale value before quickly informing them they're a *****er.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back