Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

E92 M3

Locosaki

Following on from another thread about the E46, I've had a bit of feed back over on cutters forum saying I'd be better looking at a E92. Anyone on here have an unbiased opinion on the the E92 over the E46. I'm thinking I'm gonna try an M3 for a bit but unsure on model now.

Personally like the look of the E46 but the V8 is tempting, not too concerned price wise, probably 18k max

I did consider selling my 996 and buying a 996 turbo but don't think I'd get enough back for my 996 to make it doable hence the reason for trying the M3 and keeping my 996, see what I prefer and sell the one I don't want.

From what I have read the V8 is more powerful but also more civilized, maybe a bit like the difference between a 997 turbo and in 996 turbo some prefer the slightly more raw feel of the earlier car whilst others prefer it smoother and more refined. I love the E46 but will try an E90 one day.

MC

I have just advertised my wife's M3 E90 for sale on here and pistonheads fyi if you are interested. It is in mint condition and manual and 4 door which is rare!! Has an awesome V8 engine

E90 is a great car, but it is bigger, heavier and a lot more civilised than an E46 and to be honest I personally don't think that they are comparable cars - they are just that different. Ownership costs are somewhat different too (fuel, brakes, tyres, electrical gremlins if they come up, VED on the E90 is in the top >£500 band, etc...).

You are going to have to do test drives to get an answer to this one, but if money is a factor there are more numbers to run than simple acquisition costs and Insurance quotes.

I don't think, by modern standards, an e46 is comparable to an e90/92 M3.

E46 is a bit of a nostalgia trip these days, yes they can look lovely with the right stance etc but the e92 knocks it into a cocked hat as a "modern" road car for me.

I have an e92 as a daily driver and have had two e 46's from new and just flogged one that i "converted " for track use.

18k should by the very best e46 (non csl) out there but its low entry point on the e92. You should budget more as nice ones are starting to hold their dough.

As great as the S54 straight six is, and it really is, the V8 is just ludicrous at 8200 rpm . Its not that civilised and has all the m sport character Of the S6. Both these engines have won many awards. On the road its a little too much at times as you have to be "up it" for the whole thing to resolve itself but when it does.... It will potter about ok but its chomping the bit.

I too am a member on Cutters, had a fair few M power BMW's two of them being the V8 M3, an e92 and e90 loved them both but the e90 has the looks in my opinion the 4 door 'shorter body really works didn't loose a penny on mine at the time as its much rarer, the lack of carbon roof is a shame but no biggie, the v8 is a peach, had an exhaust mod done on my last one and it sings! didn't have any issues was a great all rounder all the options i could want in a daily and a v8 up front..

The e46 is lovely but i really love the way the v8 screams in the e9x interior is an improvement, both mine manual but the DCT is very quick and reliable box,

Good luck in your search, £18k isn't a bad budget these days for e9x car's just try avoid the lemons lots out there unfortunately now at this price point as you will know obviously!

Ive got both....here is a comparison I wrote.

"Having just bought the E46 M3 Coupe and now covered quite a few miles in it, many may ask is it worth changing up from the pretty E46 M3 to the V8 E9x. I have posted similar before, but for the hell it, today I took them out back to back with a mate to help with whats the fastest out of the two and dismiss old wife's tales.

Looks:
For a number of years I have always looked at pictures of the V8 and thought it looked wrong, to me it looked to big to top heavy and a little cumbersome at the rear with its hunched stance, then over some time and seeing them on the road they started growing on me. The E46 M3 on the other hand does photo well and all the bulges and testosterone seems to pop out. I feel the V8 does not picture well and in the metal it really is a looker and has so much presence. Anyone wanting one, just needs to go see a V8 in a lighter colour as its suits the car best. Now every time I see one it turns my head and I think what a pretty car.

Is it better looking than the E46, that is a tough one, in pictures the 46 all day long, in the real world up close and personal, I'm on the fence

Performance:
I think the V8 should be faster as most will know, you can push buttons and things make it seem faster (you just don't have to push the pedal so far) but I've reached a point where I think do you know what, its Ok. The E46 M3 on the other hand strangely feels more eager and willing, it feels faster and has a better throttle response and contrary to the V8 you actually don't have to ring it's neck out, however the V8 when you do it makes you tingle and you get the noise and with this in mind and coupled with the DCT its very very exciting. Head to head the V8 is faster, but only just, those that say a V8 blitzes a good E46 M3 needs to knock on my door. OE VS OE, there is not much in it.

The Engine:
Well the real reason you would buy the V8. Its a Gem, silky smooth refined, feels ageless and nearly 9k in a V8 and its just keeps pulling and getting better the more you spank it. The noise is up there with the best with the pipe mod done, it still excites me every time I turn the key. If we are honest its the V8's trump card it will win you over with its voice so to speak. The 46 is unique with its rasp, an acquired metallic noise, those that know, know, those that don't think your back box is full of loud wasps. I like it, the engine is a legend, humble eager, ready and instant. Is there another car with a better throttle response when warm and ready ? for the money Probably not. The V8 though is top dog here, its special.

Handling:
This is where the E46 feels more of a track car in comparison, it feels lighter more direct, agile and nimble almost go cart like in comparison. It probably is in the real world as well. The V8 just feels safer, quieter more solid and easy, less likely to bite and more refined. Both are very composed and easy to have the arse out, the 46 feels more race car and better but the V8 is better through refinement.

Kit:
I have a fully loaded E46 and although good, its 90's tech really, nice and all that, but the V8 is streets ahead. Mines just about got everything, most you wont use as usual, internet /TV/DVD/hardrive this and media that apart from maybe a toilet, the V8 have all you need really. This will not be important if its your weekend toy, but it still needs to be mentioned.

Gearbox:
I have drove a few manuals, and its Ok, both V8 and E46 are notchy sods, which is worse in the E46, but I aslo think they got the ratios wrong in the V8, so look at it this way, both will comand more money at some point, because we are all getting lazy. I am a manual fan, and although I have an SMG in the 46, ITS RUBBISH. Unless you are on track going 7 bells its sh1te. The DCT is just so good and so right matted to the V8 engine. I have never had an auto give you a surge when it changes gear. My E93 DCT pulls ahead on my mates E92 manual and this is down to the box and how good it is. Where the SMG for me was so wrong, slow, snappy, jerky and crud, this is so right. lightening, brutal, blips, fun and super smooth when you want it to be. Its a very good box indeed.

Practical:
Who cares, you can get 4 in both and some shopping. Both are sh1te on fuel if used as an M, with the V8 being some what sh1tier

Costs:
18 mpg as a rule for the V8, and 22 mpg for the 46, some get more, some get less, but if you like your M, expect the aforementioned, but every car has an Achilles heel. The E46 is proving to be costly so and so the older it gets, it has more money worries than the V8, so don't think its a Honda. The V8 though, Service is every 2 years, but I do mine yearly (old habits die hard) though it has 8 plugs and 9 liters of oil, so its not cheap from the off. No adjusting this / guides that, everything else is pretty much normal BM Tax. It is worth looking at inherent issues with both as neither is perfect, but the V8 has less flaws and will prove more reliable mainly because its newer, more refined and well built.

What goes wrong:
46 - well, Vanos, boot floor, head gasket, timing chains, rust, diffs, SMG pumps, Springs and cuddly toy, oh and did I mention Rust !! The car I just bought the previous owner spent 10k in 2 years, I'm not saying this is normal, just be warned, you can buy it one for 10k, but could end up costing you a hell of a lot more!!
V8 - Not a lot really. Actuators which are well documented, and some cases of rod bearings on high milers, but you can do preventative maintenance on these items if that's your thing. Late cars can still be under warranty so you can just enjoy.

What do others think.
Everyone loves the 46, only today my mate turned up in his E28 M5 and loved the underdog, He would take the V8 of course, but if it was to keep forever, I'm not so sure. I have not had a single negative vibe from both. Most give me the thumbs up, and people come over and want to talk about the car's (and the colour) they are cool car's, thruth be told the V8 looks better in the metal and far more modern and up to date, it just looks the newer more plusher car.

Round up:
God its tough, I really like both, my wife likes the V8 all day, my mates like the 46, I like driving them both, one is way better and more grown up and the other is more raw and edgy. if they where dogs the V8 would be a graceful greyhound, with great strides and quick once up and running, and the 46 would be a terrier, shot to bits with bags of character. But we need to mention the noise the V8 makes, its the greyhound thats had lots of BBQ beans, it sound awesome, Its such an event and for me its so important, it's what separates current cars with the electric future.

So to sum up and what most will want to know "Which one"

The V8 is better in every single way make no mistake (I also think its better looking in the metal) each evolution is better so don't kid yourself, If they where both coupes and I had to have one forever more, probably the 46, but the V8 vert with its metal folding roof is so versatile and ticks so many boxes it really is what the M3 was designed for. The jack of ALL trades master of none"

Hope this helps

Absolutely brilliant review mate, this is a third car for me so the E46 would tick all the boxes but I'll keep looking and see what turns up.

Thanks again for the input.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back