Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear brake disc / pad replacement

Boxstercol

Trainee
Hiya all,

Going to have a go at replacing the rear discs & pads on my 2005 987 S.

Bought Brembo discs / pads, wear sensors & backing plates from ECP using their 50% off discount code. Plus two new caliper bolts / disc screws from OPC.

Doesn't seem like too difficult a job, however I have got a concern over removal of caliper bolts & adjustment of the handbrake after. I'm not chsnging them due to wear, but because they are corroded.

Any tips gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.
:thumb:

Hey!

Not a massively difficult job, calliper bolts are an 8mm hex socket I think, maybe a 7mm.

A couple of tips:
1) Don't have the handbrake on when doing this job, you'll damage the handbrake when removing the disc if you do.
2) There are screws which hold the calliper to the hub and another unchamfered threaded hole. Screw a small bolt into the unchamfered hole and this will push the disc off the hub - the discs are usually corroded onto the hub and this is the easiest way to remove them.
3) Make sure you have a long thin punch, you'll need it to remove the pad retaining pin without damaging the paint on the callipers.

Finally, you don't need to adjust the handbrake when you change the discs unless it already needs adjusting. Flicking a flat head screwy on the little cog adjusts them and is self explanatory when you see it.

Oh, and 4) just ask if you need help! :wink:

edit - wtf is f-l-i-c-k-i-n-g starred out by the forum software? :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back