Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vinyl wrap on top of Gtechniq Crystal Serum protected car

markz86

Monza
Hello,

I had my car treated with GT CS in January this year.

I'm now looking for a bit of a change and would like to go for a mexico blue wrap.

Has anyone ever had their car wrapped after previously having it treated with CS or similar?

I've seen suggestions on other forums that any sealants etc need to be removed prior to the wrap, but this isn't really possible with CS.

The company I'm looking at to do the wrap (reputable, lots of positive reviews) seem to think they can do it without damaging the CS coating / paintwork so I guess it is possible, just thought I'd se if anyone else had attempted anything similar.

Thanks
Mark

Phil, that looks interesting. I've seen plasti dip before but not to that level. I don't think it's for me as I'm looking for a longer lasting finish.

I love how mine looks when it's clean but I've always loved mexico blue.

From what I've read, removing a wrap should not damage the paint providing that it's done properly, I'd always intend to use the original company to remove it as they offer a guarantee against damaged paintwork.

I'm just debating whether or not it will live up to my expectations and whether or not it will work properly with the ceramic coating I now have on my paint

I don't want to state the obvious, but one of the properties of the GTechniq is its teflon-like non-stick properties. I'd be concerned that the film simply wouldn't stay stuck, if it sticks at all!! Get them to try with an offcut before they buy 15m of the stuff!! I was told that PPF wouldn't stick, can't see vinyl being much different...

If a wrap does adhere to the Crystal Serum I'd ask for a refund on the Crystal Serum!

I'd be amazed if the wrap will hold for any length of time but it would be an interesting experiment. As V8fettler says, a test area is probably the way to go.

I think CS can be wet-sanded off if you're really desperate for that colour change. It would make it a very expensive process but Mexico blue is very cool.

Edit: I've just had a look on Gtechniq's website and although their FAQs don't directly address this issue I did find the following: -

"Gtechniq coatings can be applied over PPF film (we recommend EXO) but PPF films will not adhere effectively to Gtechniq coated surfaces, particularly ones coated with EXO"

It might be worth getting in touch with Gtechniq direct and asking them the question. I've always found them to be a helpful bunch when I've had questions in the past.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back