Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Seat backs vinyl wrap

nikos525

So, over the years my kids have kicked & scratched the back of my seats and they look like I need to do something to them.
I was thinking of getting them vinyl wrapped, but I'm not really sure of which colour I want to go for.
Exterior is basalt black, interior as all black leather, alcantara glove box & lower dash, PCM & stack painted piano black, the only other colour is aluminium from the steering wheel, vents, tiptronic surround and horseshoe.
Anyone done anything similar?
Was either thinking of metallic black or piano black but it might be black overkill!
He's an interior pick, ideas anyone :?:
Pic of my interior:

Attachments

• img_0396_603.jpg
    img_0396_603.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 6,533
Following - wanted mine done in gloss white but PW pro advised that the vinyl wouldn't take to the seat back and advised me not to go down this route...

If people have had good results then I will revisit this!
Otherwise when I get round to it I am hydro dipping them

Most seem to be hudro dipping /carbon dipping them of getting them colour coded to the body colour. Wrapping would be another viable option if if can be done so I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has had success wrapping the seat backs . lol I can see gulf livery seat backs now in my head :grin: :grin: :thumb:

You & me both Phil, fancy doing something with mine. I have virtually the same interior. Im getting the seatbelts replaced with Red webbing soon, and im thinking id like to do something with the seat backs.

Oh & no probably not luminous green!

cliffbase said:
Oh & no probably not luminous green!

:floor: :floor: Acid green sadly just wont work with Aqua blue for me now :floor: I am just about to get my seat belt webbing redone in a blue close to the body colour which should look good with the center console and door spears and will leave the seatbacks needing attention at some point if wrap is an option it would be good as A it probably can be done insitu and B when the kids have knocked it about it can be easily redone. So I am hoping someone has done it and can recommend it. :thumb:

I asked a reputable wrap place about the viability of wrapping seat backs.

You would think that it could be easier than painting, and perhaps done without removing seats :dont know:

He said they did it once.....but never again

In summary , the vinyl wrap needs heatguns.
You can't put that much heat near the leather .
That means seats need to be removed from car and disassembled.

So It works out as expensive / as much hassle as painting

askgeez said:
I asked a reputable wrap place about the viability of wrapping seat backs.

You would think that it could be easier than painting, and perhaps done without removing seats :dont know:

He said they did it once.....but never again

In summary , the vinyl wrap needs heatguns.
You can't put that much heat near the leather .
That means seats need to be removed from car and disassembled.

So It works out as expensive / as much hassle as painting

Aha that makes sense Guy thanks :thumb: :thumb:

Right guys, my wrapping guy told me that he can do it without removing the seats, he said that he will need the car for the whole day, I didn't go into any details about how he was going to do it etc but I will talk to him about it again before I go ahead with it.
I'd seen a wrap done on a 991 in 3M Di-Noc but that's not really my style, I had asked about the 4/5D carbon stuff but the guy told me that adhesion isn't that good with the 4/5D vinyl.
I like the idea of liveries - hmmm or maybe I'll go with a piano black and add some stripes - kinda like the Champion motorsports ones - in matte black.
I'll keep you guys updated as to what I decide in the end.

Bikeracer had his seat backs wrapped in leather by Linus, looks the dogs. I think the cost is £500 for the pair.

I'd be careful about wrapping seat backs. I dont think the vinyl is up to the wear and tear that kids getting in and out cause. Vinyl is quite strong but it can get damaged relatively easily too.

I'm no expert but I did recently vinyl wrap the units in our campervan and the kids have already managed to scrape through it in a couple of locations.

Hope this is of some use.

CarreraMonkey said:
I'd be careful about wrapping seat backs. I dont think the vinyl is up to the wear and tear that kids getting in and out cause. Vinyl is quite strong but it can get damaged relatively easily too.

I'm no expert but I did recently vinyl wrap the units in our campervan and the kids have already managed to scrape through it in a couple of locations.

Hope this is of some use.

Just to add to that, My friend owns a wrapping company and I am down there quiet alot. You do see alot of imperfections appear still from the paint underneath and if there are deep scratches in the back of the seat (Like mine) then I would assume they would still come through.

I am looking at getting mine smart repaired to match the original seat back colour. They guy is mobile too and quoted me £150 per seat back.

I'd like to have the seat backs repainted in body colour (which seems to be the preferred option out here), but in the meantime, they've been ceramic coated (along with the exterior) to keep them looking good.

This is turning into an interesting thread seeing the different options guys are doing other than banning anyone from the back of the car :grin: :thumb:

I quite like the carbon on my seat backs :D :D

Attachments

• carbonseats_198.jpg
    carbonseats_198.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 6,131
I've seen both painted and leather retrims on the seat backs though and they both look :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back