Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Glass Cleaning

Carbon Guy

Hi All

when detailing my car i find the hardest part to clean with no streaks is the glass inside and out. it's always left with wipe marks or likes; I can never seem to get it 100% streak free no matter how clean the cloth or screen Cleaner liquid i use.

does anyone have any tips or tricks on getting a streak free glass clean? and what do you use cloths/liquid?

MY car: https://www.flickr.com/photos/156036579@N08/albums/72157685583030700

I can't do it strek free either :pc: I think you have to ensure you are not doing it in bright sunlight or where the screen is warm. I've had better results this way but again despite trying all sorts of products, some 'old wives tales' not getting perfect results.

I wipe clean with the leather chamois first then I use window cleaner and news paper or paper towel. Seems to work ok.
Agree that the colder the glass the better

I thought newspaper was one of the old wives tales :dont know:

I'll admit I did try one where you use a pair of worn tights. Didn't work too well and Mrs Z told me perhaps you're not supposed to wear them :oops:

I find Meguiars Fast Glass and a new microfibre cloth works well. My wife has been known to nab it for the household mirrors too...

Old newspaper used to be great but these days the inks used are very different from what they used to be so sadly are next to useless for glass cleaning, shame!
I find that it is best to establish a good baseline to work from and for that I favour some warm water with a couple of spots of Fairy Liquid in it, not so much that it is really bubbly, just enough to break the surface tension. Using a mirofiber cloth to apply the solution and fresh paper towel to wipe it dry immediately. A couple of passes like this should give you clear streak free glass.
Then I simply use a damp, genuine chamois leather for the interior glass every week and Auto Glym Fast Glass plus Rain-X for the exterior.
Once a month I use Turtle Wax glass cleaner, the white creamy stuff, on the exterior glass only before re starting the Fast Glass and Rain-X routine.
It always surprises me just how much contamination gets bonded to the glass by the end of each month

Long process but I find that it works well to get the grease of the inside especially.

Use spot cleaning to get rid of insect mess/dead bodies etc

Wash well with HOT soapy water - use one of those karcher window vacs with the small attachment to remove water and to stop the residues from drying out. Work one window at a time and lay a cloth along the dash to catch any drips when working on the inside

Then apply any decent window cleaner (I use Autoglym but sure that others will work) - apply and wipe off asap with microfiber cloth - then final polish with 'fluffy' microfiber cloth

Finally - do not allow small people with sticky fingers anywhere near the car - helps keep the windows clean!

There is a long thread on here somewhere, but the upshot of it was a product caleed Bar Keepers Friend.

I now have loads of it, in spray, pwder and liquid form.

Good for all kinds of stuff.

I also use Fast Glass as a quick cleaner. Its Autoglym though, not Maguires.

Always use to have the same problem until my wifey showed me how to get my glass totally streak free etc. Basically, less is more as the saying goes. i use to spray glass cleaner directly onto the glass & was using too much.

Here is my secret or should say my wife's:-

Assume you have washed your car exterior including glass & dried the glass first

Then Take two microfibre cloths. On one spray a LITTLE amount of glass cleaner & clean half the windscreen or two smaller windows. Use the other microfibre cloth to rub off any residue. Continue the process until all glass has been cleaned. I now never get any streaks just clean glass. i think the technique above is more important than what product you use but just FYI I use Gtechniq glass cleaner.

Gtechniq G6 glass cleaner is brilliant. I use Gtechniq products for trim, tyres, leather, dash, wheels and their glass products are very good. I agree glass must be cool and dry. Clean with water just to remove worst dirt, dry and then spray G6 onto the glass (inside and out) and then buff away to a shine with a microfibre cloth. They also have a glass polish but that won't get rid of scratches....use it as preparation for their glass coating (G1) which is like a better version of Rain-X and which works for a year at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back