Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 911 997 gen 2 3.8 c4s 2010 valve spring failure

Mike1983

Recently purchased 2010 911 c4s gen 2 had no issues for first 600 run like a dream only 54k with full history.
Had eml fault light come on dash when on motorway around 75 mph, and Miss fire felt.
Following intial checks spark and compressions good on all cylinders. Scanner check of dme recorded Miss fire cylinder 3.
After a struggle for Porsche official centre to find fault and a new petrol injector on cylinder 3 fault was eventually traced to a broken valve spring on cylinder 3.
Engine was removed and head also removed to check for any seat or damage from any debris. Luckily all ok.
New spring fitted and back running like a dream.
3800 bill which including all gaskets labour and new heat shields as corroded so replaced whilst engine out.
Just wanted to post on here as no one else seams to have had this issue when I searched on gen 2 vehicles, may save someone a lot of wasted time!

Thanks for posting Mike.

:welcome: to 911uk

I hope the rest of your 911 experience will be all :thumbs: .

A pretty rare fault on any Porsche and not one i would be thinking about if someone said about rough running on here .

Thanks for posting about it and sorry you were so unlucky .

I researched a lot prior to spending more than I originally planned to on a weekend car and went for gen 2 as all the previous reliability issues seamed to be resolved with gen 2 models. Luckily the selling dealer contributed 70% towards the repair in the end so not the end of world. I love the car and and sure I've just been unlucky.
Just wanted to give someone else if unlucky enough to get same problem heads up. Because compressions were all good and equal mechanical issue was initially ruled out. Will post a pic of the broken spring which snapped clean in the middle so caused no other damage!
Had a new 911 and cayenne on loan for the 5 weeks I was without my car so not all bad!
Won't put me of Porsche

That really is a rotten bit of luck.

I've never heard of that one, Though i doubt its uncommon in and combustion engine.

I had the PDK sump leaking on mine, and I've never seen or heard of those going in the passed either. They just like to keep us on our toes.

Sit back and enjoy Porsche ownership now :D

Great heads up Mike , I think you were just unlucky as these cars on the whole are very reliable. but just the type of post we need on here to make us aware of the possibilities of these things. Good luck with the car now its sorted and well done on a first post.
We do now need some pics of your car. :thumb:

Unusual, not heard of that one before... hopefully your luck will hold and your 2010 will bring many years of pleasure. :thumb:

I had a valve seat go on my 996.2.
It broke into pieces and took out the piston, bore & head. New engine required.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back