Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paul987's C4S thread

paul987

Mexico City
Inspired by Ragpicker'so Boxster thread..
I have no idea what I'm going to be doing on my C4s in the future... we will see what comes up :lol:

First up track rods
Inner and outer....I've been getting the wobble when warm steering symptoms for a while now but finally after a little help from forum members imput I got them swapped for shiny new ones .. :)

First up.... I took the nut off using a 19mm socket because... Well the ball joint was seized (a 19mm spanner and a T30 torx bit to hold to centre is the correct method)
20170823_142513.jpg

Next I got a pickle fork and removed the ball joint (This method will ruin the rubber..but that doesn't matter if your fitting a new rod.. a word or warning though.. Be careful of the angle it's easy to damage the hub carrier)

20170823_142815.jpg

Bang, bang, bang... and it's off. Yay.. I congratulate my self on a job well done

20170823_143229.jpg

20170823_143225.jpg

Onto the inner rod filled with a over optimistic sense of achievement after my relatively easy victory over the ball joint.. Then I'm met with this... A working space tighter than Jeremy Hunt's NHS budget... :nooo:

20170823_142440.jpg

Too be continued. ...

OK so now onto the inner rod.. first I removed the front plastic under tray thats usually held on by metal clips or as in my case black tie wraps :?: I no idea where the original clips went too.. or why every time I upload this photo it's upside down even if I rotate it... I suspect some kind of voodoo is involved...

20170823_142402.jpg

Once the tray is removed you can gain a little more space for accessing the inner rod. Or in my case you'll be greeted by these golden brown diagonal braces... another job for later :sad:
20170824_142637_0.jpg

Once you can see the boot clearly you can tell it's held on by a metal clip at each end... sadly I didn't take any pic's at this stage but you can see the clips in some of later reassembled pic's :oops:
I also didn't take any pic's whilst removing the inner rod mainly because I was too busy trying to figure out where to get my spanner in and also I wasn't planning on putting them on here so it didn't matter :oops: :lol:
But basically you need a 32mm spanner.. or a adjustable spanner that's bigger than 32mm mine wasn't...
But I did find if you can get the help of a glamorous assistant... and get them to hold your steering wheel full lock (basically so it doesn't spring back) it gives you just enough room to get a straight spanner on from underneath.. and this what I was left with.. well actually it was still attached to the outer track rod which is important for measuring the length of your new rod...

20170826_141003.jpg

So next you will need one of these.

20170826_141313.jpg

And one of these....

20170826_141240.jpg

Now once again I took no photos of what the process is to get your rods to the same length for reasons mentioned above :oops:
But it's quite simple screw your 2 new rods together (don't forget to put your boot on first) place your old rod and new rod side by side and adjust your new rod to the same length (I found if your using the same brand rod as the old one.. those digital calipers are great for getting it perfect)
So now you will be ready to fit the new rods to the steering rack.. (or if your like me you with be disassembling your rods because I forgot to put the new boot on.. yes thats why I said about it earlier)
Don't forget to clean out the threads on the steering rack with a cotton bud or something similar and to add some thread lock to the threads on the new inner rod to prevent it unscrewing it's self at a later date
Reassemble in reverse order...A word of warning the new boot that was supplied with my new rods was too small to fit on the steering rack.. so I used the old ones instead (yes I found out the hard way.. I had to remove the outer rod again to get the new boot off.. then measure it all over again)
Make sure everything is nice and tight and then torque the nut on the ball joint end to 75Nn or 56ftlb.. and hopefully it will look like this :lol:

20170826_141029.jpg

20170826_141124.jpg

20170826_141106.jpg

Thanks for the comments gents :thumb:

Well yesterday I spent a little time on a few spots of rust.. :eek: nothing to bad.. but didn't want it to get any worse...
The dampers were the worst rust flaking every where.. so I decided to attack them with a wire brush.... The result was pretty good.. but the floor was covered with more flakes than a kellogg's factory :oops: The upside no flakey rust and also the weight of the car has been reduced to GT3 levels :lol:
20170827_155156.jpg

20170827_160655.jpg

I then decided to try some of that Hammerite Kurust... I red decent reviews on it and thought I'll give it a try :dont know:
Too be continued..... I'm going to fetch a brake bleeding kit now :lol:

OK so... I applied the kurust liberally to the effected areas... (well not too liberally it's quite runny.. Think brasso consistency)
Then some form of magic takes place.. turning the rust into something that's not rust :lol:
So next I need to wait whilst it turns black... so I watch with interest as it turns PURPLE... :eek: I quickly reach for the bottle.. nope no mention of purple anywhere...
20170827_155751.jpg

20170827_161142.jpg

So after siting there...watching... waiting.... hoping that my car wasn't going to permanently look like 1980s pensioner with a purple rinse...
After waiting for seemed like several days it eventually turned black..
:yahoo:

20170827_161150_0.jpg

20170827_173814.jpg

So now you have to wait 3hrs and then it needs some form of overcoat to seal it...

Oh bolrocks.... I finally got round to fitting my Goodridge hoses on the passenger side....
All the old pipes and hoses came off perfectly... free turning with a flare spanner....
Amazing I thought ..Let's remove the old pads clean the caliper a little... Fit new pads job done :dont know:

Then I found this :sad:

20170923_141221.jpg

The anti squeal plate ( metal bit ) has stuck in the piston :wack: :dont know: I've left it soaking in wad 4O for now....

This is not that uncommon im afraid , normally the caliper is on the car and i say undo the phillips head screw and do the same on the new pad then screw the new pad to the seized damper.

WD40 may free it off but the trouble is pulling on the damper .. if you can get the phillips screw out then you have a thread to attach a bolt to .. if you can get a long enough one then put a socket that touches part of the piston in the caliper so that it will hold it then a washer and the bolt and use it as a puller basically .

Or just phone me and ill explain it properly without my poor text attempt lol .

Hi Demort,
I understand what you mean.. good shout on the socket idea :thumb:
I shall endeavour to get the screw out in the morning..
If that fails I'll give you a bell
:thumbs:

It's out... tapped the screw round with a little punch and chisel set... then picked up the caliper to look at the threads and.. it fell out :lol: I guess all the tapping loosened it.:dont know:

Good thread Paul!

Similar stuff that we all need to be checking/changing.
Well done for documenting it. I've just tackled exactly the same sort of surface corrosion on the inner arches. The areas the arch liners don't cover get a bit of a battering.

Well worth doing.
Goodstuff. :thumb:

Cheers Marky911
Yes the inner arches seem to be susceptible to the old tin worm.

I did do them at the same time with the kurust stuff but I intend to do a more permanent fix next spring...
Having said that the kurust does seem pretty good I coated a few random rusty bits of 987 I had laying around and have left them to the elements to see how it does..
I also left some of the spare liquid in a pot and when it set hard it's like the consistency of well...bonfire toffee.. so it's pretry tough stuff..
Time will tell I guess :?: :dont know:

After putting the rear up on axle stands... I realised that my drive slopes more than I thought :eek:
It's surprisingly stable though :dont know:

1d98790a_f8e8_4b3e_befc_f05a2f2cc03f_1.png

great thread Paul :stay: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back