Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Airbag light on

nigel99

Today I swapped my steering wheel over, nice easy job, but now the airbag light is on.

I've tried driving for a few miles but it hasn't cleared it. :sad:

Is there a way I can reset it?

You will need it resetting by an indie or by using a durametric.
For future reference you need to disconnect the battery and wait at least 15 minutes before disconnecting the airbag to prevent triggering the warning light.

Only thing i can add is the airbag connections push in then you have to push the clip fully home on the connections ( the bit in the middle ) .. ive had to remove and redo this before as i didnt push it fully home Grrr .. dam annoying i must say .

The pins short out when its removed to generate the fault for the system , not fully connected and they are still shorted out .

I had left the battery disconnected for 30 mins prior to removing.

Demort said:
nigel99 said:
I had left the battery disconnected for 30 mins prior to removing.

see my post .

Thanks Demort. One of the connectors in the new wheel was missing the orange clip. Could that be the problem?

You lift out the center part of each connector then remove it .. if that part is missing then i would assume the pins will stay shorted out and generate a fault code .

I think but im not sure that the center " plastic pin " can be removed from your old steering wheel harness and fitted .. but as you all know .. i do standard and not this modified stuff .

i just refit or fit new in other words !

EDIT .. probably best if i dont say this but us lot dont even disconnect the battery , we just have the keys out ..

Mind you all mechanics have a death wish so if your not a mechanic ... :D

Excellent, thanks Demort. I'll give that a go tomorrow and report back.

Mine is a 997.2 so slightly different

Attachments

• 99780308912a34_airbag_volante_lenkrad_steering_wheel_porsche_997_987_c_587.jpg
    99780308912a34_airbag_volante_lenkrad_steering_wheel_porsche_997_987_c_587.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 4,785
Yep but the same type of connection .. have a look tomorrow , there will be a tab in the center of the connection .. if thats missing or not fully home it will generate a code .

Code will be either stage 1 or 2 drivers airbag short / open circuit .

This is the connector...

Attachments

• dsc_0025_131.jpg
    dsc_0025_131.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4,773
Its the orange tab in the center that has to be fully pressed home .. if it is then you need a fault code read out and a clear then see if it comes back as from that picture they are both there but you said one was missing ?

If it is missing then see if you can remove it or just remove the entire harness from your old wheel and use that.

All airbag connections on new cars have this pin short system .. reason as far as im aware is that if you unplug the connection with the igntion on it will short the pins and generate a code rather than thinking its in an accident and deploying ... and that would be bad .. very bad .. bent over an airbag when it deploys .. omg .. bad !

Not going to mention the wives tales we hear about people moveing control units with ignition on etc and what happens .. did i say it was bad ?

Sorry, that's not my wheel just in image I found on google. I do have the orange tab missing so I'll try a transplant tomorrow from the old wheel. Thanks again for your help.

Aghh ok .. youll still need the fault code clearing after you fix it though .

Once an airbag code has been generated then it wont clear untill done so by a tester .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back