Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Change query...... strange... !!!!!

-- 997 --

Barcelona
Ok, I carried out an oil change ,.... below is now no done it...

1. Start car till operating temp them Drove car around for an bit to get oil nice and hot.
2. Drained oil .30 mins. + replaced oil filter.
3. Poured 4Ltrs oil then poured further 3litres more and waited till oil settled. Didn't want to pour any more oil till I see the level!!

Switch ignition on to check level and shows me one bar flashing on oil level all though there is adequate amount of oil, before the oil change the oil indicator showed full bars as I've not had a problem before, if it went down to one bar I'd top up and bar would indicate full.

Is there something I may have one wrong or so in have to reset anything?

baffled!!!

Cheers

J

When you 'switch ignition on' are you actually starting the car and taking a measurement when the oil is up to temperature?

And I don't know why on earth Porsche decided to move away from a dip stick. I mean, wtf can go wrong with a dip stick??

Norfolk & Idea said:
When you 'switch ignition on' are you actually starting the car and taking a measurement when the oil is up to temperature

you can't take an oil level reading when the car is started, you turn the ignition on and wait till the countdown then shows the oil level..

J

-- 997 -- said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
When you 'switch ignition on' are you actually starting the car and taking a measurement when the oil is up to temperature

you can't take an oil level reading when the car is started, you turn the ignition on and wait till the countdown then shows the oil level..

J

Pantomime style....... Oh yes you can.......

You can on mine anyway. In fact it's the only way I can get a reading. Engine running (parked on a flat surface) and the oil must be >60 deg C I think.

Unless the intergalactic turbo is different. Any input welcome. Got me thinking now.... hmmm

Norfolk & Idea said:
-- 997 -- said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

J

You can on mine anyway. In fact it's the only way I can get a reading. Engine running (parked on a flat surface) and the oil must be >60 deg C I think.

Unless the intergalactic turbo is different. Any input welcome. Got me thinking now.... hmmm

Not on mine, if I were to check oil while engine off it says something like engine must be switched off.... hmmmm

J

ragpicker said:
Well, the 997 holds about 8.25l of oil. Each bar is usually about 250ml.

I would guess that the bar is flashing at you because it doesnt have enough oil in yet :dont know:

There's enough oil to show more bars till the top bar....

J

-- 997 -- said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
-- 997 -- said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

J

Not on mine, if I were to check oil while engine off it says something like engine must be switched off.... hmmmm

J

Yeah, just checked. The 997.1 has to be off and the 997.2 (DFI) has to be idling with warm engine/oil. Something to do with different sumps between the two models.

-- 997 -- said:
ragpicker said:
Well, the 997 holds about 8.25l of oil. Each bar is usually about 250ml.

I would guess that the bar is flashing at you because it doesnt have enough oil in yet :dont know:

There's enough oil to show more bars till the top bar....

J

Fair enough, but if it should have 8.25L in and you're over 1l short I would put in another 500mls and see what happens.

heres my 2p looks like you have put in 7 ltr it takes 8.25 to 8.5 oil to fill it it actually holds more like 9.5 but you can never get the last bit out. each segment is about .4 of a ltr or a gen2. so your on one segment which means it needs 3 more segments which would be 1.2 lts taking your total added to 8.2 lts which is more or less the 8.25 to 8.5 required . I think thats how I read your post :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
heres my 2p looks like you have put in 7 ltr it takes 8.25 to 8.5 oil to fill it it actually holds more like 9.5 but you can never get the last bit out. each segment is about .4 of a ltr or a gen2. so your on one segment which means it needs 3 more segments which would be 1.2 lts taking your total added to 8.2 lts which is more or less the 8.25 to 8.5 required . I think thats how I read your post :thumb:

Hi Phil, what I did was I poured 4litre from one can, and 3litres from another cos each can is 4 liters, anyway didn't want to overfill so I left out a liter. After pouring in the oil I waited approx 15 mins for the oil to settle but the level didn't seem to move, at one stage it did show all most full but disappeared to first bar, I. Sure if I poured the remaining one liter don't think it's gonna show me full on the display?

my first time for me to carry out a bloody oil change on the 997 and it's the first oil change after rebuild then will have to do second after 1000 miles..

Cheers

J

After draining out the oil you then refill with 7 ltrs .. then you start the car and run it for 20 mins or so , your trying to get the oil to 90 degrees .

Turn off the ignition then turn on you should have a counter for 5 mins if its hot enough .. if it says 10 mins then run the car again untill you get a 5 min counter.

Turn off , wait 5 mins then ignition on and wait the 6 seconds for a reading .. at that point you have the correct lvl of the oil and you can add more in stages to get it to max .

After each top up you turn off the ignition then turn it on again to get a reading.

If this is a bit confuseing .. and i know i dont explain things that well then pm me and ill send my number so i can explain it by phone .

Dip stick was removed to save weight .. erm and a few pennys.

Later Cayennes have a dipstick tube .. but no dipstick .. thats a special tool for the dealerships lol .

I recently changed mine. I took a level reading (all good) before I dropped the old oil. I simply measured the volume of oil that came out and replaced the same amount with fresh. Warmed up and level was bang on.
I read somewhere that you'll never get all the oil out due to the sump configuration. So I guessed the above mentioned was the way to go. I didn't get hung up on precise measurements from the manual.
Obviously I changed the filter and checked the sump plug too.

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi Phil, what I did was I poured 4litre from one can, and 3litres from another cos each can is 4 liters, anyway didn't want to overfill so I left out a liter. After pouring in the oil I waited approx 15 mins for the oil to settle but the level didn't seem to move, at one stage it did show all most full but disappeared to first bar, I. Sure if I poured the remaining one liter don't think it's gonna show me full on the display?

my first time for me to carry out a bloody oil change on the 997 and it's the first oil change after rebuild then will have to do second after 1000 miles..

Cheers

J

J see Demorts post about getting the car to temp before rechecking level .then you should be ok mate :thumb:

Hi Phil, demort and all, ok demort , I think I get it what you saying I'll follow instructions and see how it goes,, I know this may sound a real stupid question but I dont have to take out the fresh oil and start again regards to maybe reset?

Also when ever I do an oil change its always 7 liters first then increments to fill to level once warm?

Cheers

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back