Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early 996, should I spend?

simonkay1

Silverstone
Hi All

having g been an on/off reader of the forum for some time now, I have been interested in the threads regarding the rise in 996 values.

I have owned my 1998 C2 Tip for 9 years now and it has been nothing more than a 'menoporsche' for me, since a kid I always wanted to own one. I paid 15,995 for it in 2009 with 80k mileage. I was particularly attracted to it because it had the GT3 body kit on it and it had a full main dealer service history.

I brought it from Cridfords an Independent Porsche dealer in Guildford and they gave it a thorough going over, changing the brake discs/ pads and the front rads as a condition of the sale.

Since buying it, I have covered 10k miles in it. I have had it regularly serviced with brake fluid changes etc and no expense has been spared on keeping it tip top. It sails through its MOT every year, no problems.

However, I made a stupid mistake through a friend of a friend who said they would tidy up the front end and respray the front spoiler, mirrors etc to get rid of the chips etc. Well, the job they did was nothing short of an abortion and left me feeling I wished I had never bothered. However, with a good polish, it came up looking nice, but not to my standard.

A couple of weeks ago, I took it into Dove House in Rushden for a major service and had a chat with the guys there who told me it was one of the cleanest and most well looked after early 996's they had seen, which made me smile ( I had been told similar on an earlier visit there). Having chatted with the guys there, they told me that I should talk to the Bodywork guy to really get the front end sorted. Having spoken to him, he says the car can be brought back into a top car with not too much effort

BUT.... I am also aware that you can only throw so much money at any car, however much it is loved (I also spent a further 700.00 putting a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports on it last week). I have been quoted a further 1500.00 to bring the bodywork into the 'excellent' category.

My conundrum is, should I spend this extra money? I did not buy the car as an investment, but, I do not want to lose shedloads either.

If the early 996's are really going up in value, should I invest and make it a sound investment for the future, or should I leave it as is, and that is the point of my question, is it worth investing in?

Thoughts please if you have the time :-0

If it isn't going to go rusty as a result of the paintwork I wouldn't bother, just drive it. Tyres and brakes are another matter....

MC

MisterCorn said:
If it isn't going to go rusty as a result of the paintwork I wouldn't bother, just drive it. Tyres and brakes are another matter....

MC

Spot on.
In the future there may come a time when it is worth spending money on the cosmetics but for now just enjoy it.

Someone's pulling your pipe with the paint job. If someone has done a sub standard job tarting your front up, so long as it's not like a bag o' chips, then a simple blow over and lacquer isn't a big job IMHO. I'd expect paying around £500 tops for me front end looking mint.

With most cr4p paint jobs, a simple flatten back and polish does the job. Just laziness off the geezer who did it.

Speak to some honest geezer who's good at his trade and see what he says.

alex yates said:
Someone's pulling your pipe with the paint job. If someone has done a sub standard job tarting your front up, so long as it's not like a bag o' chips, then a simple blow over and lacquer isn't a big job IMHO. I'd expect paying around £500 tops for me front end looking mint.

With most cr4p paint jobs, a simple flatten back and polish does the job. Just laziness off the geezer who did it.

Speak to some honest geezer who's good at his trade and see what he says.

Its really likely a flat sand and polish will be whats required, however if the colour match is off or the prep is nasty, then thats another matter. Front ends are a bit of a pain as to minimise the impact from stone chips, you really don't want paint on paint and a lot of layers, makes for big craters and big chips, so its usually a paint off and start again in the better paint shops. $1500 is an odd number so enquire as to what you are getting.

I have a C4S that gets the same comments when it goes in, its done about 85k miles and has had no expense spared, and yes the list is never ending. Right now it needs the front end done ironically as a couple of spot of the clear coat on the bumper are pealing.

Last year it was all new suspension components and plastic covers underneath and in wheel arches, year before engine mounts, starter/clutch/flywheel and brakes the year before that. Along the way there have been radiators, AC Condensors, leather reconditioning, new mats, new badges, wheel refurb, and IMS, MAFs, Coils, etc, etc

I muse selling it for a Turbo or a 997 Turbo or a GT3, and some days when my back hurts a Cayenne, or a Panamera, but its been mine for 7 years now and honestly think I would regret selling it.

I have a couple of other cars that come and go but if it makes you happy, hang onto it. It WILL COST MONEY to own, but then again still cheaper than many other pastimes and its going to appreciate in value eventually ;-)

What was up with your starter?

and your ims?

kas750 said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Spot on.
In the future there may come a time when it is worth spending money on the cosmetics but for now just enjoy it.

+1

Drive and enjoy. :thumbs:

If it annoys you and is that bad a job then I would get it done.

You said you went to Dove House, if you are Bedford/Northants then I can suggest a couple of very good places that can do it :friends:

:thumb:

Thanks everyone for your comments, appreciated. I think I will get it done as I am OCD when I know its not right :yuk:

£1,500 is a lot of petrol and beer money. Take the car off on a nice holiday instead!

Seriously though, if you're planning to keep the car don't rush into respraying the front as long as it comes up ok with a bit of a polish. Wait until you hit a depressing milestone like 100,000 miles and get it done then.

tom_nieto said:
Seriously though, if you're planning to keep the car don't rush into respraying the front as long as it comes up ok with a bit of a polish. Wait until you hit a depressing milestone like 100,000 miles and get it done then.

Just turned 100k miles in mine but haven't done any paintwork, so plenty of stone chips to the front and many more are likely to follow as I'm not too precious about driving it. Enjoy!

Attachments

• image_954.jpeg
    image_954.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 3,427
you might not be to precious about driving it but that still does not look like a 100,000 mile 18 year old car.........
these 996.1 really have aged very gracefully

Jonny996 said:
you might not be to precious about driving it but that still does not look like a 100,000 mile 18 year old car.........
these 996.1 really have aged very gracefully

For some context, my (now) wife, and I acquired our brand new Saxo VTR in electric blue in Sept 1997 following the 2 year free Insurance deal released by Citroen. My 996 was probably ordered around the same time and was delivered to it's first owner in Nov 1997.

My wife was a mere 22 back then so the free Insurance was a real sweetener. We did 60,000 happy miles in the car in 5 years with no issues, having serviced the car through the Citroen dealership we bought it from.

I cleaned it nearly every weekend before I sold it to a mate in late 2003 who wasn't so keen on the cleaning but he got the oil and filters etc changed each year when it was MOT'd at his local garage. He managed another 30,000miles in the car before it was scrapped in 2014!

Ok a lot of older 911's will have comprehensive folders full of invoices for maintenance covering twice the cost of the new VTR I'm sure, but you just don't see that many 'R' Reg cars still being regularly used on the road these days do you?

Edit - My neighbour has a really nice 96 P reg Volvo Estate which is in good nick, only 130K mile too

:D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back