Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

new 20-inch Carbon Wheel for the 911 Turbo S Exclusive

Porsche News

Lighter and stronger at the same time – these are the characteristics of the new 911 Turbo Carbon Wheel, solely offered as an option for the 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series.

The innovative production process for the rim base, which is made from braided carbon fibres, is being used by Porsche for the first time in the automotive industry worldwide.

World premià¨re: exclusive innovation with spectacular style and enhanced driving dynamics

Braided carbon wheels for the Porsche 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series

Great Britain. Porsche has become the world's first vehicle manufacturer to offer lightweight wheels made with braided carbon fibre. They are available now as an option for the Porsche 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series. Carbon, the characteristically black high-tech material, can be fully appreciated with a protective layer of clear lacquer. Together, the innovative wheels weigh around 8.5 kilograms less than the standard forged alloy wheels of the Turbo. This is equivalent to a reduction of 20 per cent, and in addition the rims are also 20 per cent stronger.

With a reduced unsprung weight, the tyres trail the surface of the road better and are perfectly optimised for absorbing longitudinal and lateral forces. Lower rotating masses mean more spontaneity both in acceleration and braking. The result is increased driving dynamics and driving pleasure.

Priced from £10,773.00, the new carbon wheels will be available for the 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series from November production in the dimensions of 9 J x 20 for the front axle and 11.5 J x 20 for the rear axle.

Manufactured entirely from carbon fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP), the wheel is essentially comprised of two components. The wheel centre is made from carbon-fibre fabric. This involves cutting and assembling over 200 individual components. The second component is the rim base made from braided carbon fibre by what is currently the world's largest carbon fibre braiding machine with a diameter of approximately nine metres. The wheel centre is then braided into the rim base.

The assembled wheel is impregnated with resin and pre-hardened at high pressure and high temperatures. The finished wheel is hardened at high temperatures followed by a long cooling process. The centre locking nut is then inserted into the finished wheel and the wheel is protected with clear lacquer.

Porsche is the first company in the global automotive industry to use this extremely complex technology. The braiding technology offers key advantages over the more conventional method of manufacturing pre-impregnated carbon-fibre fabric. This production technique makes the material structure of the carbon considerably denser and more compact. This also increases rigidity. Using the material more efficiently also produces less waste. The new carbon wheel is made from a total of 18 kilometres carbon fibre or eight square metres of carbon-fibre fabric.

Attachments

• 20carbon_wheel_812.jpg
    20carbon_wheel_812.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 6,889
Oh so cool

Carbon wheels are coming thick and fast now as the technology is developed further

Had a newsletter from Dymag the other week (Roger at Dymag is a very nice chap to) - Yes i was looking at some dymag wheels on ebay (gen1) but was nervous, spoke to the production manager who now has an independent business and was told to steer well clear of Gen 1 Dymag wheels

But these are both nice
http://www.dymag.com/boxstrom-patent-granted.html
http://www.dymag.com/boxstrom-7y.html#fs_2

FRP said:
Oh so cool

Carbon wheels are coming thick and fast now as the technology is developed further

Had a newsletter from Dymag the other week (Roger at Dymag is a very nice chap to) - Yes i was looking at some dymag wheels on ebay (gen1) but was nervous, spoke to the production manager who now has an independent business and was told to steer well clear of Gen 1 Dymag wheels

But these are both nice
http://www.dymag.com/boxstrom-patent-granted.html
http://www.dymag.com/boxstrom-7y.html#fs_2

I'd be nervous about using carbon wheels at your level of power!

Lovely looking, but guess if a carbon fibre wheel is kerbed it would be a write-off and need replaced. :?:

Being into my road cycling and owning plenty of load bearing CF, I know CF can be repaired in more situations than one would think.

But agree, the rim edge being kerbed would be tricky I would imagine! Probably could be repaired, but wouldn't look flawless.

Obviously cracks etc, you wouldn't want to risk it would you.

Agree with all points

If you look at the impact video, you can see tiny fragments of carbon chip away and the rim edge crumples/folds a little

The can be repaired but boy a wheel is pretty important pice of engineering toward your safety

A lovely piece of engineering no doubt. I did see this video in some official Porsche email sent to me and I thought "great.. a wheel I cannot buy on a car I cannot buy".. Porsche need to stop with these exclusives that are all allocated before announcing/producing - all too Ferrari'esque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back