Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Moved from 996 turbo to 997 turbo - some thoughts

drabux

Nurburgring
I've owned a black/black 996 turbo manual for over two years and decided to move to a 997 turbo tiptronic. I'd like to outline a few subjective points of comparison for anyone thinking of making the move.

Having driven both back to back for a while now I think the 996 stands up really well. Side by side I find the lines of the 996 a little purer and less showy. The headlight issue is not one for me and I think it will become less relevant over time.

Despite what 'group think' says, I find the 996 interior every bit as nice as the 997's. It seems just as well put together too. The only substantive difference for me is that there is much more room for the driver (the seat moves back further and the steering wheel is adjustable).

The 997 is more refined in the sense that it is quieter and the suspension more absorbing on UK roads. The difference is not enormous and compared to a sports saloon, for example, the 997 feels noisy. So, this issue does not matter a great deal to me.

Handling is similar except with respect to the awd system. The 997 feels much more secure and confidence inspiring. I never quite knew whether the 996 viscous system was working and that did not inspire confidence. Certainly at lower speeds, it did not seem to work e.g. rear wheelspin at traffic light starts and wheelspin on steep, slow inclines.

The Megzer engine, of course, is essentially the same, bar the turbos. I had a decatted exhaust on the 996 and, with a remap, it both boosts as early as the 997 and is as fast.

Currently the 997 fetches about 10k more than a comparable 996. Is that extra worth paying? My logic is that the 997tt is a somewhat better car but, if it were a depreciating car, it would not be worth the difference. However, since values of both cars seem stable, if you have the money then there is nothing to lose in buying a 997 turbo.

Cheers!

I can't argue with any of that.

Soon after I made the change (30 months ago) values of 996 Turbos soared and for a short while asking prices for equivalent mileage/history cars were about the same. That seemed bonkers to me.

Since then values of 996 Turbos have come back down and values of 997 Turbos have risen. The difference between the two now seems about right.

Over the last couple of years all 996 models seem to have acquired early classic status but the buzz phrase surrounding the 997 models is that they are 'the sweet spot' for people looking for a value-for-money 911.

If you think a Gen 1 is good with a Tip box, wait till you drive a Gen II with PDK.

easternjets said:
If you think a Gen 1 is good with a Tip box, wait till you drive a Gen II with PDK.

I'm sure they are but they are much more expensive and they are still depreciating...

drabux said:
easternjets said:

I'm sure they are but they are much more expensive and they are still depreciating...

I'm not sure they are. They seem to have bottomed out and risen again just like the Gen 1.

Thanks for posting that drabux :thumb:
Interesting and fair analysis of the two..
I wonder if the difference in ride quality is down to wear and tear on the older suspension components of the 996, Or are the 997 shocks just more modern/better quality :dont know:

I have had a play in most 911t's (got a mate who has had loads - not me unfortunately :what: ) so not extensive in depth knowledge like owners of both have here but 6t to gen 1 7t didn't feel much different too me (i.e you could tell they were related) but gen 2 felt like a big evolution.

Maybe it's the engine + pdk changed the dynamics on gen 2. Then 991 was unrecognisable compared to the 996t.

drabux said:
easternjets said:

You'll pay as much for a very good Gen 1 manual as you would for a good Gen 2 PDK. The prices of Gen 2's has not really stalled, after March April of this year they have kept their value and generally gone up. Whether they go down again remains to be seen but I doubt it as there seems to be strong demand.

As for ride quality the Gen 2 is noticeably more smoother than the Gen 1, don't know if it's down to better dampers or an improved DSC module. Also the interior noise levels are greatly reduced as well.

I did the 996T to 997T and never looked back, the interior, seats and lights are of a big difference to me. Stock V stock is different as well, the 997 is just that bit better at everything (except the Gen 1 wheels) right down to the door handles.

I do find the 7 a good looking car and as soon as it was released I knew I had to have one, it was a welcome return to form for me.

The .2, its better again, but in a more refined, quieter, comfier, easier kinda way, but the .1 with its rawer feel, road noise, harshness and legendary engine is more like a GT3.

Its whatever floats your boat after all.
:thumb:

Interesting analysis, thanks.

Your comment on the handling was a relief; I always found my old 996T pretty damned tail-happy at slower speeds as well. The faster it went, the happier it seemed to get (all the way up to 70, obviously......).

Was ultimately why I got rid in the end and got a C2. Everyone was in the way :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back