Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 15
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 18
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
Once again Congrats on such a fantastic trip.

Massive thumbsup for the superb write up and pictures. I know how much time and effort it took to produce it.

Those roads and that scenery are calling out for me to experience them personally and I will, one day.

For now this thread will serve as a bookmark illustrating my 'bucket list'.

Thanks Terry thumbsup

madalaa
Fuji

2009 Porsche Boxster 987

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......... it's been a cracking read Paul ....... and who knows one day I might be able to do at least part of it ...... and I am not adverse to whisky ....... Smile

Longers
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madalaa wrote:
......... it's been a cracking read Paul .......

It certainly has thumbsup

Really enjoyed reading about some of the roads I was on 2 weeks ago from someone else's perspective.

I totally agree with what you said in one of your early posts about making the effort to get to Scotland. Interestingly I only found out at the end of our tour that there was originally a bit of reluctance/disappointment from some of the group when I announced the Scottish trip on the final night of their 2016 trip to Germany.

This was because of the distance and to some it wasn't a proper "Eurotour" because it didn't mean crossing the Channel.

The guy who was honest enough to tell me this admitted he'd been wrong and that Scotland had been one of his top 2 tours with me and he's now done 8!

Even the people from Kent and Hampshire said it had been well worth the journey and they hadn't realised what they'd been missing despite many years of touring.

Maybe it's the fact it often feels easier to get to Calais and that Scotland's roads and scenery are so surprisingly stunning that people seem to be bowled over by the place, especially after becoming so familiar with France, Germany, etc?

I can't wait to go back Wink

fasttracktours.co.uk

ragpicker
Estoril

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longers wrote:
madalaa wrote:

.......and that Scotland's roads and scenery are so surprisingly stunning ......

There's nothing surprising about it really dude! Thumb

However for those that live in the 'Southern Bubble' I can imagine it's a wake up. I was often frustrated by this mentality when I lived down there...

Some of the most amazing places in Europe are actually in the north of our island! And there's no ***** there!! Very Happy

James M-S
Österreich

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thread, written from the heart. thanks for making the effort. Thumb

James

Longers
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:
Longers wrote:
madalaa wrote:

.......and that Scotland's roads and scenery are so surprisingly stunning ......

There's nothing surprising about it really dude! Thumb

I know, I've been going for years. My comment was referring to the reaction of people I took recently who have probably never been further north than Manchester or York... or in a couple of cases, Watford!! Very Happy

fasttracktours.co.uk

askgeez
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Paul worship

Read it all, forwarded link to a non 911 owner, but huge whisky fan.

I think what puts us southerners off is the boring miles of M25, M1 etc. before the good bits start Grin No doubt it pays dividends when you get there Thumb

Looked up car transport ... £397 London to Glasgow . Wonder how many they can take at a time to negotiate a discount Question
997.1 C4s coupe Manual (04/15-06/17)

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all Salut

Regarding the getting there bit, you can get to a Inverness in a day from London. And even though that's mostly motorway and dual carriageway, once your past Preston / Blackburn the roads are usually a joy. And even on a bad day that's only 4 hours. Same time it takes most of us in the South East to get from our front door to France Dont know

Getting there in fact is, on reflection, not the issue. It's the coming back that's the real grind Sad

EDIT - missed the transporter but Guy Embarassed Yes, that's an option, and wonder if they'd do a deal on the return leg Scratch Chin Grin

Gazc2
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant read Paul you need to send a copy to the Scottish Tourist Board ! having been fortunate to visit many of these places over the years with work rather than in a Porsche mind you there are some absolute gems Argyle being one of my favourites along with Skye so many options for a touring route outwith the 500.
1987 3.2 Cab
1986 3.3 Turbo
1986 944 2.5 (later fitted with a 2.7 after wife went scuba diving in a flood and popped a piston through the block)

911TEL
Barcelona

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Chief ... has a 'Safety plan' to roll out about the anti- social driving behaviour of the visitors to highlands who 'don't know how to drive, and don't let people pass ....

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1325339/police-plan-
new-road-safety-strategy-to-cope-with-influx-of-north-coast-500-drivers/

I live here and have seen this all my driving life and this was the case long before the NC 500 name was even coined!

It's more the foreign driver who is guilty of this , and only because he has never seen a single track road that winds its way through the highlands ....

You can rest assured his 'Safety Plan' involves 'Cameras and penalty fines ' hardly a trailblazing initiative .... I might be wrong of course but experience makes me think otherwise!!

I'm home next Thursday and I'll be out on a recce on part of it for sure!!!
Brompton S2L Black edition

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see evidence based policing at play 911TEL .... Evil or Very Mad

“The current position is the number of deaths on the roads is lower than it has been in previous years, but one life lost in the roads is one too many for me.”

And the fastest ones on the roads from my experience were always the locals - in their Astra diesel vans, rather than their Ariel Atoms. Hey ho. All the more reason to get it done sooner rather than later. Enjoy your blast Thumb Grin

Slight change of tack - this is a summary of my Scotland trip. More SC1000 than NC500 thumbsup

Longers
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPIC!! worship

fasttracktours.co.uk

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longers wrote:
EPIC!! worship

Holy macaroni!?! Praise indeed Salut

Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loads of excellent pictures- I like books with loads of pictures Floor
I too will bookmark this thread for when I get chance to go touring Scotland with my better half.
It's also prompted me into looking for a decent DSLR camera. And buy some more whisky. You've probably cost me a bleedin' fortune.... doh... Wink
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!
2018 Ducati Panigale V4S (Track)

Longers
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
Longers wrote:
EPIC!! worship

Holy macaroni!?! Praise indeed Salut

As Murray Walker said when someone asked him why he didn't follow in his father's footsteps and pursue a career in motorcycle racing... "Those who can do, those who can't talk about it"! You certainly did.

Undertaking a trip on the scale of yours, and solo, should not be undersestimated thumbsup

fasttracktours.co.uk

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, this has been a gem of a thread, as others have already said - thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Quite shocking to read how close you came to losing Grace though Surprised, I should imagine your ar5e took more than a nip of the seat cushion when that happened!! Lady luck appears to have been on your side though.

A great write up and tool for future reference. Thumb

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
Great thread. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loads of excellent pictures- I like books with loads of pictures Floor
I too will bookmark this thread for when I get chance to go touring Scotland with my better half.
It's also prompted me into looking for a decent DSLR camera. And buy some more whisky. You've probably cost me a bleedin' fortune.... doh... Wink

Sorry about that Grin

(Hope you got my follow on to your Fast'n'Loud reference on the watch thread? QuestionSmile )

DynoMike wrote:

Quite shocking to read how close you came to losing Grace though Surprised, I should imagine your ar5e took more than a nip of the seat cushion when that happened!! Lady luck appears to have been on your side though.

Yes, I had two very close calls. The first was just north of Unapool and the Kylesku Bridge and the second was as I mentioned recently just north of Kilmartin. And luck coupled with good engineering saved my ass more than skill. But then I've always known I'm an average driver Embarassed Very Happy

But you're right enough that both were memorable squeaky bum moments Surprised

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longers wrote:

....... I totally agree with what you said in one of your early posts about making the effort to get to Scotland. Interestingly I only found out at the end of our tour that there was originally a bit of reluctance/disappointment from some of the group when I announced the Scottish trip on the final night of their 2016 trip to Germany.

and

Maybe it's the fact it often feels easier to get to Calais and that Scotland's roads and scenery are so surprisingly stunning that people seem to be bowled over by the place, especially after becoming so familiar with France, Germany, etc?

I've been as far north as Portree so can appreciate what the destination will look like. It's the fact that, for me, the Jura mountains on the French/Swiss border are closer than Jura, Scotland and I know that the journey there and back would be far more interesting.

I do fully intend to do both but the trip south is far more likely to be done first, and in a 911. Very Happy
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

911TEL
Barcelona

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
Nice to see evidence based policing at play 911TEL .... Evil or Very Mad

“The current position is the number of deaths on the roads is lower than it has been in previous years, but one life lost in the roads is one too many for me.”

And the fastest ones on the roads from my experience were always the locals - in their Astra diesel vans, rather than their Ariel Atoms. Hey ho. All the more reason to get it done sooner rather than later. Enjoy your blast Thumb Grin

Slight change of tack - this is a summary of my Scotland trip. More SC1000 than NC500 thumbsup

Lol.... NB,
I may appear biased re the BIB , it's not the case many do a great job , but it's the policy of always pinpointing the 'anti-social' element I don't gel with ...Generally the 'enthusiast' on the NC is far better behaved and more courteous and friendly than many a day to day driver..... so my comments are more 'experience based ' than evidence based... and while we all , I'm sure think one loss of life is one too many, I personally don't think it's about that ....i haven't seen or heard much talk up here about anti social behaviour , but he has to make a statement on his appointment so why not clobber the motorist again...

He would be better served running a campaign against the mothers on the school run on the phone and texting whilst driving .... I see it EVERY day when I am walking my daughter to school......

I won't disagree about the Astra van drivers though ....

One instance a while back ... I was coming off the Bealach Na BA from Kishorn over to Applecross and a racing pushbike was right up my 4r53 trying to get me to let him past .....
And I did ...!( downhill I might add!)
Brompton S2L Black edition

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911TEL wrote:

Lol.... NB,
I may appear biased re the BIB , it's not the case many do a great job , but it's the policy of always pinpointing the 'anti-social' element I don't gel with ...Generally the 'enthusiast' on the NC is far better behaved and more courteous and friendly than many a day to day driver..... so my comments are more 'experience based ' than evidence based... and while we all , I'm sure think one loss of life is one too many, I personally don't think it's about that ....i haven't seen or heard much talk up here about anti social behaviour , but he has to make a statement on his appointment so why not clobber the motorist again...

He would be better served running a campaign against the mothers on the school run on the phone and texting whilst driving .... I see it EVERY day when I am walking my daughter to school......

I won't disagree about the Astra van drivers though ....

One instance a while back ... I was coming off the Bealach Na BA from Kishorn over to Applecross and a racing pushbike was right up my 4r53 trying to get me to let him past .....
And I did ...!( downhill I might add!)

Floor I was agreeing with you mate thumbsup

My quote was highlighting that the accidents are lower despite higher traffic. Talk about the police solving a problem that isn't there Duh

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: