Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 14
997 : 2004- 74
996 : 1997-2005 38
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 10
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Clanky
Österreich

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you more or less passed my front door!
Banff / macduff area.
That section north of Glenmorangie is one of the best, along with the run east to west over the top.
If anyone else is doing it, I'll happily join in the next few weeks...

S3 Daily Driver

911TEL
Barcelona

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
JonnyBaddeley wrote:
New997buyer wrote:
Ouch! Hope he got it recovered okay? It was definitely a consideration of mine, especially on some of the single track stretches where it was nothing but peat bog either side. A spill would have been likely okay but recovery would have taken hours and cost a fortune Surprised Sad

He was lucky and so were we. Local farmer towed him out, no damage. Done and dusted within 45 min.

I'd be happy with that!! thumbsup

On the leg to Inverness I came across the aftermath of an off and it looked nasty. The police were loading it on a wagon when I came screaming round the bend. Say what you like but 6 pots and ABS are modern marvels.

The officers just gave me a look Embarassed

Laughing
Grin Grin

Pics were brilliant Paul , what camera were you using ?
Brompton S2L Black edition

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mix of iPhone 7 and a Sony DSLR. I'm a novice with the DSLR and was finding that I messed up a few of my shots so shifted mostly to the iPhone after that. It's a wonderfully smart piece of kit. Much better than this fumble fingers user Embarassed

997.1 turbo man
Ex 997.1 turbo tip S, 996.2 turbo tip S, 996.1 C2 man

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanky wrote:
Looks like you more or less passed my front door!
Banff / macduff area.
That section north of Glenmorangie is one of the best, along with the run east to west over the top.
If anyone else is doing it, I'll happily join in the next few weeks...

Ha! The landscape there is gorgeous. The road to/from Pennan was also as much of a joy as setting eyes on the red phone box for the first time. Yup I'm such a tourist Grin

997.1 turbo man

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There and Back Again

Gairloch to Skye - The Long Way

I'm loath to be disparaging to any of the businesses on the NC500 route as I grew up with my own family struggling from day to day with their Cafe and flowers business on the west coast of Scotland. I've lived through how hard it can be. The NC500 clearly has given a shot of life into areas that would rarely have seen any trade. So I personally thought it great seeing all those who've jumped on the bandwagon. And boy were they making a go of it. Great to see.

Though like my they never expected so many to take it on in a camper van. I've never seen so many. And watching one try and overtake the other on a single track road is hysterical.

But I'll make and exception in calling out a business on the NC500 and that's the Gairloch Hotel. It has just been taken over and the staff were clearly poorly led and under resourced. And many shouldn't have been in hospitality too, which a less lazy management team would have fixed. No disrespect to accountants but it has the feel that was who was making decisions not someone with an ounce of understanding of hospitality. It was, after the high level of care and attention at the Bettyhill and previously the Craigmonie in Inverness, a huge let down.

The room was advertised as having a sea view. Yes, from the side facing window it was possible to glimpse the sea. I could have forgiven that. Just. But the room was only reasonably clean, with ancient furniture and my hardy farmer's daughter wife had she been with me wouldn't have set foot in the shower. Wi fi was only in one small part of the hotel reception area. And there were so many befuddled and angry Spanish and American tourists huddled in one small space trying to contact family it was overloaded very quickly. The place was shocking.

The staff gave me the 'heads up' that the Old Inn was the place to be so I walked there through the pouring rain. I was glad I did. Great little bar and they also have rooms, FYI.

Rant over, but I wouldn't want anyone to waste their money until the Gairloch Hotel sorts their act out. Poor show.

Anyway. On this leg I deviated again slightly from the 'official' NC500 map (on the previous leg I'd taken the B869 Lochinver road as it was longer and more twisty though single track).

I'd never intended to close the loop by returning to Inverness and my next port of call was Skye. So to make sure I covered enough to justify, literally, wearing the NC500 t-shirt, meant at some point I'd have to double back on myself. Then head to Kyle of Lochalsh. I chose the stretch from Garcia Kinlochewe for this, and I'm glad I did.

So let me explain. I set off from Gairloch and followed the A832 to Kinlochewe. This was a lovely drive as the weather while over cast had stopped raining.

Arriving in Kinlochewe I turned right just before the petrol station (where later in the day I was chomped on mercilessly by the Great Scottish Midge Laughing ) onto the A896 towards Torridon. This is a lovely, undulating landscape where you can often see ahead for miles so pace can be brisk even on single track road.

Though it also had its fair share of hidden dips and blind bends. But taking my cue from the locals flying along in their Peugeots and Skodas I took the road at a lick.

Making good progress I soon reached Sheildaig, just after which you turn right to take the scenic route to Applecross. I banked that for later in the day and carried on the A896 instead through Tornapress and Ardarroch to arrive at Lochcarron grinning like a little boy. Though always with one eye on the peat bog waiting to ruin my day either side. Not a lot of skid patch to play with on a single track road and once that front or rear tyre goes off the tarmac then likely so do you. As had the rental blocking the road into Lochcarron Embarassed

The difference between the rentals and the locals are easy to spot btw. The locals are rarely on 16 / 17 plates and if they are it'll be a pick up or some obscure make. And teuchters in Scotland only have two possible speeds. 40 mph, the way my faither (deliberate spelling) drove or 80 mph, the way my mother drove. Clearly I took after my mother. Grin

A quick toilet stop in Lochcarron and a new OS map and I was on my way.

I then set off for Garvie so I could feel I'd at least mostly closed the NC500 loop. The A890 out of Strathcarron quickly opens into the most wonderful massive glen, with long straights and wide open roads. Mostly empty.

It took me no time to traverse onto the A832 again at Achnasheen and thunder east to Garve. A quick u-turn and I was passing those I'd overtaken, no doubt with them thinking 'flash twat is lost' Grin

There are so many great roads on the NC500 but the A832 to Kinlochewe coming from the A835 from Garve was amazing. Especially the iconic downhill run past Achnasheen heading west.

I got back to Kinlochewe and topped the car with fuel and octane booster. And as mentioned above was munched by midges who made short work of my white Scottish flesh. Laughing

Then completing my loop I turned left this time, back onto the A896 and sped towards the turn for Applecross.

The scenic road to Applecross that you join just after Sheildaig if heading south, is wonderfully challenging and beautiful. I'd also booked a tour at Talisker for late in the day so needed to press on. Which I did. The rain was coming in but I pressed on and though taxing making good progress in this way, while absorbing the beautiful scenery, was superb.

Arriving into Applecross I checked my OS map and set off, again at pace for the route back to Lochcarron. Conscious of the ticking clock.

Cloud was settling in so the climb was doubly challenging with the road slippy, steep and the odd cliff edge to contend with. The locals are brilliant and happily wave you last on the single track roads. Though I wasn't the fastest thing on them as an ancient Freelander driven by a young girl flew past us all Grin

Though in my defence I was stopping for the odd photograph Wink

Actually these were usually taken while I ran out the car while waiting for someone to pass coming in the opposite direction. I'm sure it gave them a laugh me bobbing about with my camera and iPhone as they looked at my with bemusement as I clicked away and grinned and waived Laughing

Wonder what Italian for "What a Muppet" is..... Question Smile

Realising I wasn't going to make the distillery appointment on time, I settled into the motorised queue that is the road past Strathcarron, the A890, to the Kyle of Lochalsh. Where heavy rain and severs lorries up front meant pace was steady but slow.

I entered Skye as part of the horrid motorised procession of tourists on the A87 and ploughed through torrential rain to reach first Talisker, via the A863 at Sligachan, to rebook my tour for first thing the next day. Then back along the A863 to join the A87 again to where I'd booked a caravan (all I could find) to stay in Uig. Once the traffic cleared on the A87 after Portree spirited driving could be resumed. I managed to enjoy myself almost as much on that last stretch, even in the rain, as I had during a marvellous driving day.

I pulled into Uig and nestled Grace next to the caravan (!) and settled on for the night. My malt whiskey tasting samples keeping me company as I reviewed the day Thumb

997.1 turbo man

ragpicker
Estoril

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply superb N997B.

Having spent some of my formative years in Ayrshire I'm ashamed to say I've never been further north to the Highlands. The scenery looks so dramatic and your pics are illustrating this perfectly.

On your way down the west coast, through villages and towns, did you go past Lendalfoot towards Ballantrae? Many a Bonfire Night was spent on the coast at Lendalfoot in my youth where they had the most awful fireworks but rockets which would eject little figures with parachutes when the exploded. I'll never forget catching one as it floated back to earth from the cold, damp sky.

Thumb

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely description RPU. Funnily enough I did head down Ayrshire way but only as far as Fenwick to visit the grave of a close friend and colleague who sadly died from cancer a couple of years ago. After that I cut across country using the A71 to join the M74 heading south. Had I had more time I'd liked to have carried on further south and cut across via Dumfries. But I was worried about time Sad

We can perhaps come back that way when the S.H.I.T.S. are heading south post NC500 trip Question thumbsup

997.1 turbo man

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on doing this on my iPhone so missed a few posts Embarassed

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
What a great thread! Thoroughly enjoyed browsing through that. Particularly impressed with the Glenmorangie tour, looks amazing. I'm going!
I worked out of Aberdeen for 11 years and my wife's from Kirkintilloch so I can relate to a lot of the places.
Must get it organized for next summer. Id love to take the 911 but practicality tells me Macan.... My wife carries more shoite than Beyoncé on a road trip.

Glad you like it. It was superb and I feel privileged to have been gifted the time to do it. My recommendation to anyone else is try it out. My wife was working so their was no concern about her and me thought we have done long trips in the turbo before and all the stuff did fit. But my driving style had to alter slightly wack

Funny you're wife's from Kirky. My Mum was born in Bishopbriggs and I've still got family there Thumb

FRP wrote:
Have a great time Paul...superb

Cheers Faried. Only me so didn't need a world record breaking roof box like yours Grin Thumb

ELA wrote:
Congrats on getting the new number Paul worship
Looks like a great trip was had, great to see you piling on the miles Wink

Howdy Richie Salut

I'll use the car far less now so it was a chance to get the most out of it while I could. Thumb

s2000db wrote:
Great trip Paul...!

Enjoying the read.. Thumb

Thanks Dana. I'll sort out an autumn meet I promise Embarassed Thumb

Osh wrote:
Morning Paul

I'm away at the moment and only just seen this.

Superb thread and great piccies. The 500 is now on my list to drive.

Osh

Cheers Osh. It's doing a great job of minimising my politics thread posts to Angel

997.1 turbo man

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting There and Back

Skye to Oban via Talisker and Oban Distilleries

Having gone to bed with a deluge outside in a caravan parked behind a cafe (the only room I could find - even planning 3 moths out), I wasn't feeling the love for Skye. With roads rain soaked and as busy as the south east it hadn't won me over. But ever the optimist I set of in search of better days Smile

It is, beyond doubt, a stunning part of Scotland. But having arrived via the borders, Fife, Crieff, Perth, the east coast from Dundee to John O'Groats plus the wonders of the west coast I was saddened that Skye while beautiful felt a little commercial compared to where I'd been and what I'd seen. Still the people were still wonderful and those views were exquisite.

Having missed my Talisker tour through lots of hooning the day before I set off early for the 9:30 tour. The weather was still a bit wet but the roads were lovely and empty.

I attempted to get into some nice single track roads where I encountered my second well driven Freelander of the trip. Cutting off the A87 south from Uig right onto the A850 I tried to reach Talisker cross country.

But a Google maps malfunction while on an uphill junction that nearly grounded the turbo meant I ended up facing the wrong way, southward on the A885. Going with the flow I headed instead towards Portree when a last generation Freelander pulled in front of me heading the same way. If I was Johnnydangerous I'd have kept up. I'm not and the little Land Roger wizzed ahead of me. I caught up in time for the right turn to see it heading into Portree. Young local girl II shows non local Porsche driver how it's done worship

I made it to Talisker with a half hour to spare so got breakfast in the Bohemian but brilliant The Old Inn. They had a musician playing at breakfast who was making out with one of the barmaids as I waited to get served. Run by a local lad and full of surfer dudes mixed with hill walker types or baffled looking southerners I knew immediately I'd stayed on the wrong part of the island. Oh well. File it for later.

The tour was good and again I'd recommend it to anyone. Despite the relative simplicity of three ingredients and a defined process, the variety of approaches makes malt whiskey making a fascinating thing. Well it is for me Embarassed

A quick glance at the Highlands latest hi tec mobile banking app, and after the tour, with my tasting samples safely stowed, I was on my way.

The way south was horrid in having lots of rain and traffic. However it was brightened by a well driven 997 cabriolet S which joined the traffic ahead of me and provided a masterclass in overtaking and driving in the wet. Barely keeping up with the driver (but I did Very Happy ) they displayed none of my sense of well being on the road! Whoever you are, salut Cheers You made a fairly mundane leg enjoyable. They also helped me start to tune in a little more to what the 997.1 turbo in standard form but with DSC can do. More on that later.

The well driven S took the Inverness A82 north past Invergarry and I headed south. Stuck behind caravans and slow moving traffic I overtook as many as I could but pretty soon I was in the snarl of traffic crawling its way into Fort William. This was the worst part of the whole trip, stuck in bumper to bumper traffic moving at 2 mph for over 30 mins. Yuk.

Once clear of Fort William the rain began to subside and it became low hanging cloud. A spirited down the A82 to Ballachulish and I was back on track for my visit to Oban distillery.

A quick stop at Glencoe for the obligatory Skyfall homage pictures.....and a bowl of soup, then I was on my way again, heading south on the A828 to Oban.

The road from Glencoe to Oban was clear and I made good time getting to the distillery. I've a huge soft spot for Oban, visiting here often as a young adult.

But more fundamental than that it signalled being back in Argyllshire. Where I'm from. I was getting close to home. But not yet.

I'd selected the Exclusive Tour which ended with a connoisseur tasting in the manager's office. A cracking distillery, I took my samples and left after a lovely time based on a great guide from Madrid and wonderful bunch of other people on the tour. The sun was in the sky as I fired up Grace and I set off eager to take advantage of the good weather.

Heading north first to fill up with super unleaded, I took the A85 to Connel, even though I was ultimately heading south. Cutting right at Connells onto the A828 I then took the first major right onto the B road (sorry don't know what it's called Embarassed ) that heads towards Ardnacorrish. This B road was amazing.

After all the traffic and weather of the last few days, hooning along this quiet and beautiful road reminded me why I did this trip in the first place. And why I loved Argyll.

Having past Loch Nell I joined the A816 'Soroba Road' from Oban to Lochgilphead, heading south at speed on a drying road. I've rarely had as joyous a time in any car as I had on this stretch of road. It was empty bar me, the chassis and my own willingness to push the boundaries. And I did. By the time I turned right onto the single track B8002 I was as in touch with Grace and her handling capabilities as I'd ever been with any car in 28 years of driving. I was happy. (Thinking about it now even a couple of weeks later I still am.)

As the the tinkling of metal followed Grace' cooling down in the hotel car park I settled into my room.

But this time Skye made me smile. I was happy with Skye and happy with the room too. I'd had a good day.

Settling out in the garden area I enjoyed my delayed tasting.

Content in what joys a day behind the wheel can bring. In the right part of the world. Slainthe mhath.

thumbsup

997.1 turbo man

Last edited by New997buyer on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Manx mountaineer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Skin so aft packed... Reply with quote

We're off to Kinlochewe tomorrow, so will look out for the middies! What a great thread, looking forward to the next few days.

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Skin so aft packed... Reply with quote

Manx mountaineer wrote:
We're off to Kinlochewe tomorrow, so will look out for the middies! What a great thread, looking forward to the next few days.

Hope you have a blast! thumbsup

997.1 turbo man

Jcx
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 997b what a superb write-up! I am now more keen than ever to do a trip like this. What a treat and to visit so many distilleries in one go was pure extravagance! Good on ya thumbsup

I'll consider this post as my subscription for updates... and in time I may well follow in your footsteps.

Is your car Atlas? At times it's blue, black, grey... lovely colour!

Thx bye

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jcx wrote:
Hey 997b what a superb write-up! I am now more keen than ever to do a trip like this. What a treat and to visit so many distilleries in one go was pure extravagance! Good on ya thumbsup

I'll consider this post as my subscription for updates... and in time I may well follow in your footsteps.

Is your car Atlas? At times it's blue, black, grey... lovely colour!

Thx bye

Hey Dude, thanks and appreciate the kind words. I've tried to get across a fraction of how much I loved doing this, which is an ask as it was sooooooo good. Monumental in fact.

Colour it is indeed Atlas Grey. I love the colour for the very reasons you've stated. At night it looks black, on a sunny day it's grey and in certain lights the blues come out.

As for the trip I can only encourage others to do it. Damn fine roads. thumbsup

997.1 turbo man

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Congrats on such a fantastic trip.

Massive thumbsup for the superb write up and pictures. I know how much time and effort it took to produce it.

Those roads and that scenery are calling out for me to experience them personally and I will, one day.

For now this thread will serve as a bookmark illustrating my 'bucket list'.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Journey Home

Having arrived at Ardfern i was back to the latitude of Stirling and I was almost out of the Highlands.

My long days of driving in these incredible roads was done. I'd covered well over the designated 500 miles of the NC500 route and more on top. I'd driven in rain and sunshine. Been on single track, swooping twin track, winding mountain passes, twisting woodland, coastland, inland, vast moorland and through picturesque towns or villages. I'd been alone with no one for tens of miles and wedged in traffic outside Fort William. I'd taken in the Lowland, Speyside, Highland and Island whiskey regions, visiting Glenkinchie, Glenturret, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Old Pultenay, Talisker and Oban distilleries.

The tours were amazing with some in great depth, though sadly Islay would need to wait for another time. It was almost time to head home.

The idea behind this trip, which I first organised two years ago but couldn't then make Embarassed , was Raw Spirit, a book by the Porsche loving author Iain Banks.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=98337&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I wanted to do as many whiskey regions as possible. So that meant one more leg to my journey before it was over.

Turning right, I headed for Campbeltown, Scotlands former whiskey capital. Once the home to over 30 distilleries, today it has only 3. But that's enough to qualify it as a region, so off there I went.

The road to Campbeltown was almost empty so despite the light rain I was able to make good time and steady progress. I did have the second squeaky bum moment though on this leg, as I barrelled along at speed, letting the car use its grip to the limit on the damp roads. While checking the sat nav I managed to miss a narrow bridge sign. Coming round a bend at speed I was faced by an oncoming 4x4 on the single track bridge. I wasn't able to stop in time but the chassis and brakes did their job and I scrubbed off just enough speed to chicane right as the 4x4 passed me, just missing the stone wall leading onto the bridge by inches, tasting the ardrenaline in my mouth as I breathed a sigh of relief. That momentary lack of concentration almost cost me dear. Phew Surprised

After that close shave I raised my game, focussing solely on the road, and ploughed on at speed. As always after Tarbert the road emptied and I had it virtually to myself, though the odd buss, lorry and car did need some overtaking. Whitehouse, Tayinloan, Muasdale and Glenbarr all flew past. And then my second piece of luck. Grace turned 40k on this trip, and did so on my favourite place in the world: the straight coming over the hill from Glenbarr towards Bellochantuy. The village I grew up in Cloud 9

As I passed Bellochantuy the rain had stopped too and by the time I arrived in Campbeltown the sun was shining.

It was the shortest journey of the trip. And it marked the end really of my driving heaven. The journey back to Glasgow would come after a weekend of drinking so would be within speed limits and sedate. The journey from Glasgow to London would be motorway dirge. I knew all this as I parked Grace up and I should have been sad. But instead I was excited as I'd not missed out on anything, and what was to come next was one of the most sensational things I've ever experienced. This tour was a love letter to malt whiskey as much as driving. And I'd landed a spot on a Frank McHardy tour. So after here there is no more Porsche driving stuff. Thanks for reading, but the driving bit ends here thumbsup

Those interested in malts, feel free to read on.

Frank McHardy has spent his entire life in the malt whiskey industry, beginning as a 15 year old in the 1950s. He was the Master Distiller at Springbank in the 70's and 80's, then 'retired' by moving to Bushmills in the 1990's. Spells on Speyside followed before he returned to Campbeltown and Springbank. Myself and some Germans set off on the best and most detailed whiskey tour I'd ever been on.

First stop was Glen Scotia, a neighbouring distillery. This is owned by another distillery chain, and almost closed in the late 1990's.

In a rare show of camaraderie, the Springbank team from the nearby and larger distillery, helped the new owners get the distillery back into working order. While the new owners updated the equipment, Springbank provided Frank, labour and know how.

Glen Scotia is a lovely malt, laced with peatyness, but smooth like a Lowland whiskey. With the distinctive 'saltiness' from being aged on a sea loch. The goodwill continues and that was why Frank was allowed to take us on a tour of Glen Scotia.

Next we headed to Glengyle, the newest distillery in Campbeltown. Opened in the early 2000's it was named after one of the many closed distilleries that once dominated Campbeltown. The signs of whiskey making are everywhere when you know what to look for. Such as the tell tale vents of what was once a maturation warehouse, in what are now flats.

Mothballed maturation warehouses once used by Islay distillers, but now awaiting repurposing or reuse for aging.

Or evidence that the planning department are ensuring the whiskey heritage is echoed by making the local Tesco use tell tale malting chimneys as features in the local supermarket.

We arrived at Glengyle and heard how it was opened by the owners of Springbank in order to ensure Campbeltown would be a retained as a whiskey region, as a region had to have a minimum of three distilleries.

Built from a range of new and second hand parts, the whiskey was designed using modern process manufacturing principles for heightened efficiency and quality.

Next came the trip to Springbank worship

This is the only malt whiskey distillery pairing in Scotland which malts, ages and bottles on site. An incredible thing.

It's also the home of three stills.

Allowing double, two and a half and triple distillations, to produce three different whiskey types from one distillery.

The tour, as extensive, detailed and in depth as any I could have wished for, gathered first in the warehouse.

Where Frank proceeded to pick barrels for us to try.

Including one from the year I left to head to university.

After that we returned to the shop owned by the distillery in the town and had a few more malts in the adjoining 'Tasting Room'. Enjoying it so much I returned later on for the afternoon tasting session as well. Being a Friday the distillery manager joined us too and we enjoyed an epic exploration of fifty years worth of malts.

Springbank also own a bottling company called Cadenhead, who buy a wide range of casks from distilleries all over the world. All sold under the Cadenhead brand they represent a wonderful, and highly collectible, source of rare malts.

By the time I left, blinking into the sunshine, I was a happy happy man.

This had been a good day. One of my best. Springbank is an outstanding distillery, run on grounds of quality not solely profit. The ownership is being passed to the workers with the provision of quality, progress and jobs being the drivers of the business. And it looks to be in good hands.

Campbeltown may have its great scale whisky days in the past.

But it has a bright future as a region and maker of some of the finest malts in the world. I strongly recommend trying the Longrow, Springbank and Hazelburn malts. As well as the Glengyle. The Springbank and Hazelburn in particular are prize winning and among the best I've ever tried. I'm biased of course, so try them for yourself.

And the roads to get there are pretty good as well Grin thumbsup

997.1 turbo man

Last edited by New997buyer on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epilogue

I stayed on in Campbeltown for the weekend, caught up with friends, family and had a blast. It was an epic weekend in so many ways. The following Monday, I waited as long as I could for the alcohol to leave my system, then gingerly headed black to Glasgow. Dinner that night with family ended with a long walk up Great Western Road to the AirBNB apartment I was staying in at Anniseland. Walking past places with strong memories, I reflected on the 13 days I'd spent exploring.

Having then made some more important stop offs to visit graves of family and friends, I headed home the next day.

And Grace? She's currently at Porsche Torque getting some fettling and essential maintenance ahead of the major service due in January.

She was a gem the whole trip. Nimble, brutal, subtle or loud. I can't think of a car I'd have enjoyed more on my near 2000 mile trip.

There is no substitute. Truly. And now she's no longer my daily driver, she's earned her retirement and rest Cloud 9

997.1 turbo man

Jcx
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Grace? She's currently at Porsche Torque getting some fettling and essential maintenance ahead of the major service due in January.

Will you have the major at the OPC? Is the visit to Sid just to make sure the OPC can't squeeze you for unneccessaries?

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jcx wrote:
Quote:

Will you have the major at the OPC? Is the visit to Sid just to make sure the OPC can't squeeze you for unneccessaries?

Spot on. The OPC is solely for the stamp and the chance for a loan car Grin

Any work will be only done by Sid thumbsup

997.1 turbo man

Jcx
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
Jcx wrote:
Quote:

Spot on. The OPC is solely for the stamp and the chance for a loan car Grin

Any work will be only done by Sid thumbsup

I think that's the way I am going this year/next year too. Major plus brake fluid at OPC and plugs ++ at Indy...

ragpicker
Estoril

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb finish to a sublime thread. worship

Don't make Sid too busy though because he needs to concentrate at the moment Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: