Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 80
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

911TEL
Albert Park

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
Zingari wrote:
What about the midges Dont know

Aye, the midges. I'm a teuchter so grew up with them. They're genetically drawn to my blood as a result and that plus the peely wally skin makes me a 'Midge Magnet'. As I was reminded filling up with petrol and octane booster in Kinlochewe. Much to the amusement of the filling station owner. "Aye, seeing you southern boys suffer on the NC500 is why I'm thinking of getting in a super unleaded pump" Laughing

Classic ....!

There is a chap up there in Kinlochewe with The most beautiful CS Carrera that I have ever clapped eyes on ....

HB 911........

Awaiting next instalment .....

I'm reading this , whilst eyeing the weather outside , Sunday morning , off to Kazakhstan on Monday morning ...so I think it's time for a run out , even though I have washed the car and put it away ........!!

Driving Driving Driving
Brompton S2L Black edition

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting There and Back

Inverness to Bettyhill via Glenmorangie, Old Pulteney and John O'Groats

The weather was horrific for the start of this leg with low cloud and pouring rain in Inverness as I set off.

But ever the optimist I filled up with super unleaded and set off towards Tain for my first distillery trip of the day on the A9.

Leaving my last dual carriageway just past the start of the Black Isle I used the return to A roads to get my overtaking eye back in, and made good progress despite the torrential downpour. The overboost on Grace and the DSC module meant it was sure footed and quick even in these conditions. The Cromarty Bridge was also a fine site stretching across the estuary but the rain and traffic meant it will be a memory not a photograph.

It was still chucking it down when I pulled into Glenmorangie. But don't let the rain affect your pronunciation. It's only ever been supposed to be pronounced one way.

On this tour I visited nine distilleries and this was one of the best. Glenmorangie is distilled in gin stills, something I've known since a friend from Tain told me in the Blue Lamp while we were at Aberdeen University. I'd never seen them but they were beautiful to behold.

And the lad taking the tour was knowledgable and enthusiastic. Included in this tour were samples of wort and wash to 'taste', a novel experience, as well as some lovely malts to savour at the end once we'd had a full tour inside one of the warehouses.

Once the tour was done I hit the road, under pressure to get to Wick inside two and a half hours in rotten conditions. The winding roads up the east coast aren't always as popular on the NC500 but even with the pouring rain I found the landscapes lovely. In the sunshine I'd imagine it would have been even better.

But what I had was driving rain, increasing traffic and low cloud leading to fog on some of the climbs. The overtaking was given a break at Latherton where the A9 branched northwards and I turned, pretty much on my own, onto the A99. This road was much clearer and I hurried on to Wick. I got there in good time plus I enjoyed the chance to challenge myself as well as the car on what had been a pretty intense session.

Old Pulteney was a lovely, remote but slick experience. Like all distilleries visited the enthusiasm of the staff is incredible.

Here amplified by the small size relative to other malt producers and the remoteness of their location. It was a lovely tour and recommended.

As I left the distillery the rain had stopped. I then turned Grace back onto the A99 and headed towards John O'Groats. The landscape changed massively at this point, becoming bleak and moonscape like. In the drying wet it was empty and bleak. But striking. As I hurled towards John O'Groats I genuinely felt I'd stepped into a different land. It's not pretty but it is breathtaking.

John O'Groats was 'busy' relative to the empty roads getting there.

I took a short run to the Duncansbyhead Lighthouse as well.

Then, conscious of time, the need to source fuel and with some nice malt samples from my tastings to try I headed west on the A836 towards Thurso. Passing through Thurso I found a fuel stop and brimmed Grace with 95 octane fuel plus a Millers octane booster.

Having done that the A836 was the choice again for getting to Bettyhill.

Dounreay is an impressive sight, dominating the flat skyline.

But then the terrain becomes more undulating and the curves more pronounced.

The dash from Thurso to Bettyhill, on drying roads with dusk creating the magic hour lighting so beloved of Terence Malik, was as beautiful a driving experience as I could remember. Soulful, in the non dualist sense of that word. Sublime might be another.

I arrived at Bettyhill Hotel (huge thumbsup from me ) as the sun crept towards the horizon.

Checked in, I grabbed a light bite then set out to plan ahead for the next day and enjoy the magical light.

It had been a good day Thumb

Norfolk & Idea
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread! Thoroughly enjoyed browsing through that. Particularly impressed with the Glenmorangie tour, looks amazing. I'm going!
I worked out of Aberdeen for 11 years and my wife's from Kirkintilloch so I can relate to a lot of the places.
Must get it organized for next summer. Id love to take the 911 but practicality tells me Macan.... My wife carries more shoite than Beyoncé on a road trip.
2019 Vito119 CDI Sport- Household Star!
2018 Ducati Panigale V4S (Track)

Zeb
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longers wrote:
Gazc2 wrote:
Longers wrote:
Looks like a great trip thumbsup

I'm leading a 34 car group around Scotland next week and really cannot wait to get back up there Very Happy

I will keep an eye out for that convoy Thumb

It's 33 TVRs (plus 1 "guest" Boxster!) so you'll hear us before you see us Laughing

Drop me a PM to let me know where you are and if it's near our route you'll be welcome to join us for a bit Smile

we'd probably see the AA recovery truck first....... Grin

911TEL
Albert Park

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
What a great thread! Thoroughly enjoyed browsing through that. Particularly impressed with the Glenmorangie tour, looks amazing. I'm going!
I worked out of Aberdeen for 11 years and my wife's from Kirkintilloch so I can relate to a lot of the places.
Must get it organized for next summer. Id love to take the 911 but practicality tells me Macan.... My wife carries more shoite than Beyoncé on a road trip.

You will regret it , take the Turbo .....😎😏.... tell her to rough it for once ......!

Great thread NB .... you missed 'The Dalmore' at Alness though .... my home town and the tour is worth a stop of , even just for the view across the firth whilst taking your sample at the end

For you connoisseurs of Uisge Beatha out there

https://www.bruichladdich.com/article/the-angels-share
Brompton S2L Black edition

s2000db
Imola

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip Paul...!

Enjoying the read.. Thumb
996 C4

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. And yes, every distillery missed is a future excuse Very Happy

There and Back Again

Bettyhill to Gairloch via the scenic route

The standard NC500 map
Is good and accurate. But my tour takes on more than the designated 500 miles plus, shock horror to regular forum members, I've never been a crowd follower.

But I follow what I think is the essence of the route. With some subtle but important deviation. In this leg it's missing out Lochinver. As a Proclaimers fan that wasn't an option. Plus it just felt good road to drive. So I followed the A836 west from Bettyhill, turning into the A838 after Tongue, it whenever possible followed the coast on my way south.

This was as picturesque as it was challenging. Yes, I could do 120 on an empty single track straight, but if I ended up in the peat who would pull me out. And just how much would they take the pi$$ out the Scottish lad in the crashed Pork? This was one aspect of Local Hero I had no intention of recreating. "So you're a doctor? Would you like that on the form for your insurance?" Besides I was happy, enjoying myself and making good progress. All was good. Sure when someone let me past I wasn't holding back. But I wasn't being silly and I only ever drove as fast as I could see. Sometimes that is enough. I never felt short changed Grin

The octane booster and Sport button meant MPG was awful. I hungrily refilled at Durness.

Then furiously frustrated that tendinitis stopped me running to Cape Wrath and back, I tore further down the A836 towards the famouys Kylesku bridge. Stopping en route to enjoy the sheer scale of the scenery.

Despite my care I had two close 'off' moments, with one coming a couple of miles short of the iconic Kylesku landscape feature. A camper van, as inocous thing as you could imagine, was my overtaking challenge. All was good till the oblivious driver drifted right. Shuffling myself away also to the right the sport overboost kicked in just as the right rear wheel touched gravel, the edge of the road and drifting sideways, air. I genuinely thought I was off. Then the drive shifted VERY perceptibly to the front, the rear drifted sideways into air but the left rear dug in and between it and the front Grace languidly pulled me out of trouble. A little bit of fish tailing and the car settled again. The camper driver no doubt unaware of what had happened. I was aghast at the event but amazed by the car.

I patted the dash and thanked her once we were past. When we pulled into the lay-bye at Kylesku Bridge the same camper van also pulled in. I kept my trap shut (though my face said it all) as what was the point? The old boy and his wife were oblivious. So when they waved I waved back. No contact, no foul.

My deviation from the NC500 started here. And unless your driving a 458
(as someone I met coming the other way was) I'd suggest you take it too. At the junction after the Kylesku Bridge I left the A838 and joined the A894. As optimistically named an A road as I've ever come across.

I really wanted to travel to the bay of the Summerilses but the rain came in again so I settled for the Ullapool road and rejoined the A835. A quick stop in Ullapool, a town I'd last visited aged five, I hungrily gobbled up some 97 octane and headed for Gairloch. The long way of course.

I headed south on the A835 and then jackknifed onto the A835.

And settled into the worst hotel in the modern era, the Gairloch Hotel. Woeful.

But the local bars and staff saved me Grin

A long day and rarely above three figures. But iconic and up there. worship

Last edited by New997buyer on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

lofi
Barcelona

2001 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really lovely pics - but it s bit empty isn't it Dont know
ex 944 2.5 manual
ex 964 C4 manual

ragpicker
Reims

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, loving it Thumb

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lofi wrote:
Really lovely pics - but it s bit empty isn't it Dont know

Yup thumbsup

This track from our mutual mucka sums up for me how I felt at this point in my trip.

Open Youtube Page

And this one my feelings about the S.H.I.T.S. full stop. With an emphasis on our friend in the north:

Open Youtube Page

EDIT - of course the context of our lives are very different to those depicted in the song!

Last edited by New997buyer on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:42 am; edited 3 times in total

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed at the Bettyhill Hotel on our trip nearly two years ago and we were told to move our cars around the front as the locals who get drunk there may take a shine to our cars, I also got a puncture from broken glass in that carpark which ruined my last day of driving as I couldn't get a tyre that far away from civilisation. Although the food was good there with a nice view.

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infrasilver wrote:
We stayed at the Bettyhill Hotel on our trip nearly two years ago and we were told to move our cars around the front as the locals who get drunk there may take a shine to our cars, I also got a puncture from broken glass in that carpark which ruined my last day of driving as I couldn't get a tyre that far away from civilisation. Although the food was good there with a nice view.

That's a shame and not good. Suspect things have moved on since then? My car was ummolested. The current owner seems quite switched on. Thumb

I'd personally park there again and for longer in a heartbeat thumbsup

Further..... they called me and told me I'd left my iPad in the bar. It was home before me. Doubt I got local privilege as the owner is from Yorkshire.

But a puncture is a puncture and an utter ball ache. And as you say not a great place for it to happen. It was my two fears: petrol or punctures. Surprised

Last edited by New997buyer on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

spiderlane
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:

And this one my feelings about the S.H.I.T.S. full stop. With an emphasis on our friend in the north:

Open Youtube Page

Missing a "j" on the link

Open Youtube Page

ragpicker
Reims

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brothers in Arms, CHOON!

Hopefully Mr Knopfler will have a new album and tour out next year.

I concur with the sentiment entirely young man!

Thumb

PS Spidey - how have you only got 300 or so posts? Don't tell me you have a.... LIFE??? [/i]

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spidey Thumb

JonnyBaddeley
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The damp caught my pal out last week. It was slippery where he went off though! Very.

IMG_1441.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  328.17 KB
 Viewed:  2261 Time(s)

IMG_1441.JPG

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Hope he got it recovered okay? It was definitely a consideration of mine, especially on some of the single track stretches where it was nothing but peat bog either side. A spill would have been likely okay but recovery would have taken hours and cost a fortune Surprised Sad

Osh
Sepang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Paul

I'm away at the moment and only just seen this.

Superb thread and great piccies. The 500 is now on my list to drive.

Osh

JonnyBaddeley
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
Ouch! Hope he got it recovered okay? It was definitely a consideration of mine, especially on some of the single track stretches where it was nothing but peat bog either side. A spill would have been likely okay but recovery would have taken hours and cost a fortune Surprised Sad

He was lucky and so were we. Local farmer towed him out, no damage. Done and dusted within 45 min.

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBaddeley wrote:
New997buyer wrote:

He was lucky and so were we. Local farmer towed him out, no damage. Done and dusted within 45 min.

I'd be happy with that!! thumbsup

On the leg to Inverness I came across the aftermath of an off and it looked nasty. The police were loading it on a wagon when I came screaming round the bend. Say what you like but 6 pots and ABS are modern marvels.

The officers just gave me a look Embarassed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: