Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone on here have a 993 in "used" condition

Albionmuz

Or are they all restored or low mileage garage queens.

Has the ridiculously high value of them taken away the thrill of just having a really nice old air cooled car to use on high days and holidays?

I ask this, as the recent owner, of what is clearly a car that has had a lot of money thrown at it and wonder if there are still some tired old reliable 993s knocking about

I saw one for 27k with 160k on it just before I bought mine that looked a little tired and by the time I decided to go and see it, it had been sold.

My car had done 2000 miles in six years when I bought it and had quite expensive servicing every year. I have put 3.5k miles on it in 9 months and the car feels so much better than when I bought it. I feel guilty piling the miles on but we are only here the once.....

....... the cars are to be used ...... and they love a good "thrashing" it makes them tighter I swear...... never pussy foot around in a 993 ....... and to be honest paying mega top dollar for a low mileage car and then frightened to use it because of adding miles ....... I mean ...... what's the bloody point!!!! I just wish prices hadn't started to go silly on the 993 as it has kept a lot of good decent enthusiasts out of the market.

:dont know:

I did have a good 'used' 993 - and I used to drive it 3 or 4 times a week.....
But then after 10 months worth of work at Ninemeister and a £15k bill earlier this year, it now has no scratches, dents, rust, pitted glass etc. etc. etc.
It's still a 'used' 993 - with 109k miles on the clock, only it now looks more like a brand new car. :cloud9:
I still drive the car every week - and I will through winter too. I just wont drive it Monday to Friday, because a 70 mile round trip on the M6 in rush hour is no fun in any car, especially a 21 year old sports car - no matter how much has been spent on it.
I suppose I am a little fortunate to have bought when prices were reasonable, so even with the big spend the total outlay after 5 years isn't too bad compared to some of my other cars.
If I'd bought in the last couple of years it might have been a different story though - then it might still be a 993 in 'used' condition..... :?:

At 155k miles, no full bare-metal respray and the original glass; I'd certainly describe my car as a good, used Porsche 993. Looking at the service intervals it was obviously an everyday hack for a number of years with circa 10k put on every year for the first 10 years or so. This then tails off to the current mileage I load on which can be 500-3000 miles annually. Although one year it did about 150 (MOT station and back anyone?..).

There's no doubt that these cars love to be used regularly and, when you do, sniff the red line. There's a video somewhere where a Porsche engineer or racer says that these cars were designed to be driven on their absolute limit for the entire duration of a tank of gas.

But I digress! Yes they do exist but because they aren't the subject of numerous restoration posts they won't be discussed all that often. I see plenty in my travels around London; either parked up plein air on the wealthier side streets of west London or occasionally in some lonely underground NCP.

I strongly suspect many lurkers on this forum also have a nice used 993 too!

Highway, Dom........Illuminati breathren. Anyone :dont know:

:weed:

Thought I might need to update that. Oh no I don't.

At Fairmile this week mine was proudly displaying 1500 miles of bug-splatter from a drive down to Montpellier last week.

Garage Queen? More like a Dirty Bitch! ;-)

I use mine as my daily from April to October ave 4 - 6K. Full bare metal respray 3 years ago now showing the signs of three track days, couple of loops of the NC500 and countless blasts around Scotland - yes there's a few stone chips but t it's only paint and I really do enjoy driving the car 👍

You are more trapped than Colonel Abrams by a mileage like that on a 993. You'd be stressing every time you took it out.

dommorton said:
Thought I might need to update that. Oh no I don't.

Same here :grin:

I did a few hundred miles in it last year and erm..... 0 miles this year, its not been off SORN, Damn boxster :wack:

highway said:
Proving the theory. Better to look at than to drive.

I've a Spanish contact that could knock up a marble plinth it you're interested :dont know:

Might be alone here but I think it's quite sad to know so many are just stored to make money.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back