Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Inner Track Rod

paul987

Inner Track rod
I'm planning on changing these in the next week or so...
Is a 32mm crows foot still the best way of doing these or has anyone come up with any ingenious inventions that make it easier :?:

Quality adjustable spanner works fine despite the narrow purchase, note the word quality.

I have a 32mm open ended spanner that does the job - swing the rack to full lock (extension) on the side you're undoing and there's enough room.

They're not ridiculously tightly done up, but they will have a run of loctite on them so might need a decent bit of swinging to free this - make sure the car is well supported.

I then cleaned the threads, applied a small run of loctite threadlock and tightened the new ones in the same way. You'll finder the inner gaiter clips a bit of a pig to get to unless you undo the rack bolts and move it from side to side - removing the rack would have been ideal but my car has the usual seized hydraulic pipes so they'll need cutting off one day.

Don't forget to clean the threads and use loctite.

Theres no locking tabs on our cars weirdly enough.

I think I clamped some molegrips round the fat bit on mine to undo.

I cut the boot band clips off mine, and used big jubilee clips to replace as I couldn't get in with the band tool without moving the rack.

Check the condition of your hard lines on the rack whilst you are under there, you can see them above the roll bar.

Mine looked crusty and then failed £37 for replacements. http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=120660&highlight=

Thankyou for your replies gents :thumb: I'll let you know how I get on.

Well I got one inner track rod off today and the new one on in about a hour.. easy peasey I thought just need to put the boot on the rack end.. well after 2 hours I've given up till tomorrow.. the new boot is crazy tight.. :x I think I might use the old boot tomorrow unless anyone has any tips :dont know:
On a side note compared to my Boxster... The C4s has no room to fit any tools anywhere some bright spark put a drive shaft in the way :lol:

Did the track rod come with 2 boots? If so they are slightly different.

It was almost a year ago (and I've had a few of beers tonight) when I changed mine but i vaguely remember having an issue with the boot not fitting so I removed it and fitted the other boot that had a larger diameter opening.

Failing that use washing up liquid around the boot to help ease it on and use a jubilee clip to fix it rather than the fiddly supplied fittings.

911munKy said:
Did the track rod come with 2 boots? If so they are slightly different.

It was almost a year ago (and I've had a few of beers tonight) when I changed mine but i vaguely remember having an issue with the boot not fitting so I removed it and fitted the other boot that had a larger diameter opening.

Failing that use washing up liquid around the boot to help ease it on and use a jubilee clip to fix it rather than the fiddly supplied fittings.

Cheers 911munky
Yes they are new ones did come with the rods.. To be honest they seem at least 5mm to small... I use the old ones me thinks.

Yeah I've already got the jubilee clips ready :grin: :thumb:

Old boot was the way to go :lol: even with taking the outer rod off again to get the new boot off and all the measuring to get it back on correctly and fitting a new disc too.. It was still quicker than all the fannyin about I did yesterday trying to get the new boot to fit...
Onto the other side now :lol:

There are two sizes of boot on the 996.

I cant remember which way round but early .1 and late .2 have a different part number.

I remember having to get the right one for mine.

In the end the old boots looked perfect so i reused them.

Thats why your new boot didn't fit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back