Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Audio interface charging for iPod/Tune2Air?

MJA911

Singapore
I have a problem with the audio interface on the 997.1 I bought recently and wonder if anybody who have this option fitted in their cars have a similar experience to mine.

In the gen2 I had, the audio interface had an iPod nano plugged into it, it provided a charge for the iPod, music selection etc was controlled by the head unit.

In the gen1, the audio interface looks similar (see pics below) with its round din plug marked iPod and a jack plug marked aux and Y cable that goes from the din plug to 30 pin iPod and a shorter piece to USB, but technically it is a simpler affair. It just plays music via FM modulation on the PCM and music is selected from the device not the PCM.

It plays music from the same iPod nano OK, but there is no charging coming out of the 30pin connector, which according to the specs I've read, there should be. Ive used a 12v - 5v converter to check that isn't the reason too.

Apart from needing to keep the nano is charged, I was hoping for charging/power so that I could put a Bovee/Tune2air on the 30 pin connector on the cable and use bluetooth to my iPhone which has my Apple music on it, whereas the nano can only have my older iTunes music on it.

Anybody using this 997.1 audio interface and successfully charging off it? Thanks for any advise.

Attachments

• img_3693_193.jpg
    img_3693_193.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 3,328
  • img_3680_160.jpg
    img_3680_160.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 3,328
I had the same issue with my C2S Gen 1 which I never managed to sort , not a lot of help but at least you know your not alone :)

That is helpful edge. I'm starting to wonder if it doesnt charge at all and the spec of the interface I've seen on teile.com and Suncoast is incorrect or maybe it's only in the US and not Europe or something like that.

OK the gadget I used was called a Scosche Passport Charging Adapter it looked very similar to the thing you brought off amazon but it did work and kept my ipod charged , It was used as my daily so cant be sure if it only charged when the engine was running but even so even if it was flat after a few days it should come on as soon as the cars running as its then charging and got a live feed. :thumb:

But wondering if you also need something running from you Aux to your ipod and that would give you the charge as the ipod connection port may well be the same as on the gen2 and not supply a charging feed :?:

failing that I think you have the y connector with usb so you need to get that feed to the back of pcm or to a live somewhere , I have a recollection my audio guy cut a small hole in the corner of the base of the armrest cubby and then fed a feed from another part of the car not sure if it was from the back of the pcm effectively creating the same as a usb port. Sorry its a but vague but it was a few years ago :thumb:

That makes sense, so I've just tried plugging the USB of the Y cable into a power pack, but that still doesn't send charging power to the iPod on the end of the 30 pin. I suppose that could be because the cable is different on this compared to a gen2. Next time I can I'll try using a gen2 cable with the USB connected to a power pack as that's getting closer to how a gen2 connects for music via the iPod connection and power via the USB.

MJA911 said:
That makes sense, so I've just tried plugging the USB of the Y cable into a power pack, but that still doesn't send charging power to the iPod on the end of the 30 pin. I suppose that could be because the cable is different on this compared to a gen2. Next time I can I'll try using a gen2 cable with the USB connected to a power pack as that's getting closer to how a gen2 connects for music via the iPod connection and power via the USB.

Keep us posted as I know from experience it can be done its just finding the right combination of cables :thumb:

can you run from the charging pack to the small jack point on the ipod and see if that gives you a charge if it does then thats the combination and a lead from the jack port on the ipod to a power source in the car is the fix :thumb:

The jack point doesn't handle power unfortunately, only audio. I think next move is to try a y p-cable from a gen2 universal audio interface connected to a USB power source as well as the iPod port on the interface in my car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back